+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 66
  1. Network Engineer Hondabuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    637

    Certifications
    CCNA:S, CCNA, CCENT, CCNP:R&S,MECP, A+, Network+, Security+, Network Security Diploma
    #1

    Default CCNA Security book 210-260 book is a dud.

    Just finished the book and I think its a setback from the 640-554. They removed the ACS server and expanded more on firewalls. Im my opinion, the expansion of Firewalls and IPS/IDS reads more like a product brochure from Cisco. CCP is still there but very light now. Setting up VPN's is still using the old crypto map with ACL format where here in the real world everyone has migrated to Virtual tunnels or Flex VPN. Of course you do learn that Cisco has their own antivirus engine called ClamAV and they purchased Sourcefire and rebadged it with a cool Cisco logo and now they are better. When I was done I kind of flipped the book over thinking I missed something. The step by step guides give you both the CCP/ASDM configuration along with the CLI which is kind of cool and the Router Authentication for OSPF/EIGRP/RIP/BGP is better then the CCNP Route book. So don't get to excited thinking they updated the content to be more "real" world oriented. Its just not. Thumbs down from me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,321

    Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CIW: Web Foundations; MCTS: Active Directory; MCP: 2000 Professional; CNA: NetWare 5; CompTIA A+
    #2
    The Cisco ASA is used extensively in the real world and almost noone uses CCP. Configuring the servers (ACS, Antivirus, etc...) probably belongs in CCNP: Security.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1
    #3
    I'm sorry but your thread confused me a little, maybe the book is not so real life oriented... but, will it be enough to teach you the fundamentals for VPNs and security in general? Have you done the exam?

    I want to know if this book is really worth it...

    By the way, I may not be an expert on networks yet, but, I realized that frame relay on the CCNA exam was a technology never used on real life and yet it is a good start or foundation for MPLS understanding.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Network Engineer Hondabuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    637

    Certifications
    CCNA:S, CCNA, CCENT, CCNP:R&S,MECP, A+, Network+, Security+, Network Security Diploma
    #4
    IMG_2739.jpg

    The CCNA Security book is not enough to take the 210-260 exam. . The other 3 are the ones you need and they have everything you need to pass the exam. I got mine in my boot camp from a Cisco certified training center and was told the are over $400.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pinnacle, NC
    Posts
    43

    Certifications
    CCNA, Linux +
    #5
    So, how on earth can I prepare for the exam if the other material required is only available through a boot camp?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Network Engineer Hondabuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    637

    Certifications
    CCNA:S, CCNA, CCENT, CCNP:R&S,MECP, A+, Network+, Security+, Network Security Diploma
    #6
    Total expenses for me between Airfare, Hotel, Rental car and class it will have cost me $5100 for the 210-260 Certification.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. California Kid JoJoCal19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,324

    Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondabuff View Post
    Total expenses for me between Airfare, Hotel, Rental car and class it will have cost me $5100 for the 210-260 Certification.
    Eff that. Cisco exams have always been able to be passed via self study. I hope they aren't changing that fact. What are some topics that are covered in those class manuals that aren't covered in the OCG?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Network Engineer Hondabuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    637

    Certifications
    CCNA:S, CCNA, CCENT, CCNP:R&S,MECP, A+, Network+, Security+, Network Security Diploma
    #8
    Access to Cisco's new VIRL Lab running ASA's with 9.0 code and Next Generation Firewalls and IDS/IPS's. Using Kali aka "Backtrac5" to hack into devices and protect your network. A lot of hands on vs. 640-554 was all theory. It was a little more then I was expecting.

    Capture.jpg
    Capture.JPG
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pinnacle, NC
    Posts
    43

    Certifications
    CCNA, Linux +
    #9
    My CCNA expires in December and I am incredibly tight on funds. I wanted to recertify by taking ccna sec. This is incredibly disheartening. I read a long post on cisco's forums yesterday titled "Failed CCNA Security" about 8 pages deep about the 640-554 exam. Apparently it was revised very recently and people are failing it left and right. People saying after 6 questions in knowing they failed it... These are people with the OCG, CBT, Bryant videos, Practice tests all stating they only found the correct answers in the CCNP material. It is so bad that cisco posted in the thread because of the overwhelming complaints and left an underwhelming response. I got my CCNA and havent had an opportunity to use it... Now to think that no matter which exam I take im on a sinking boat. I worked so hard for a year and spent so much of my own money. I pursued cisco because it inspired me to test myself and commit to bettering my skillset. If it requires a boot camp, or a lab setup I cannot afford then Im at a huge disadvantage.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1

    Certifications
    CCNA Oracle DBA
    #10
    Wow! I took the exam yesterday, and knew I was in trouble after the 1st question. Fully a third of the stuff I didn't even recognize. Wound up with a 65. Previously I had passed both ICND1 & ICND2 with no problem. I had fully studied Keith Barker's book, purchased his videos, and purchased Chris Bryant's videos. Never came close. Where does one go to study the material that might be on the exam???
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member shortstop20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    136

    Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondabuff View Post
    Access to Cisco's new VIRL Lab running ASA's with 9.0 code and Next Generation Firewalls and IDS/IPS's. Using Kali aka "Backtrac5" to hack into devices and protect your network. A lot of hands on vs. 640-554 was all theory. It was a little more then I was expecting.

    Attachment 7224
    Attachment 7225
    Who hosted the boot camp? Do you have a link to it?
    Studying CCNP Route.

    CCNP Switch passed, 12/10/2015
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Network Engineer Hondabuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    637

    Certifications
    CCNA:S, CCNA, CCENT, CCNP:R&S,MECP, A+, Network+, Security+, Network Security Diploma
    #12
    CCNA Security (IINS) Bootcamp | Cisco Training
    Boson is the one Im currently at and its on point for what you would expect on the exam. I would say that all the CCP labs were replaced with ASDM with Next Generation firewalls featuring Cisco's new FirePower line. The labs are all based off of Cisco's VIRL emulator and Kali Linux from CEH course is used extensively throughout the course. Think of a CEH course combined with the old CCNA security minus CCP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member Archon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    175

    Certifications
    BSc, MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, N+, S+, CEH, CISSP
    #13
    I have recently purchased this textbook so hopefully my security/network experience is going to help as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. California Kid JoJoCal19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,324

    Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    #14
    Question Hondabuff, you stated you were told that the books themselves were over $400. Is there a way to purchase just the books without shelling out the $3k for the bootcamp? From what I've seen the books are not available anywhere separately, and traditionally vendors/trainers refuse to sell books separately as that's how they get people to foot $3k for the bootcamp.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Network Engineer Hondabuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    637

    Certifications
    CCNA:S, CCNA, CCENT, CCNP:R&S,MECP, A+, Network+, Security+, Network Security Diploma
    #15
    The Books UPC's are below. I have no idea if you can purchase them independent of the course. I will be selling mine after the course is done.

    099751365452 CSIINSGv ol2 Student Guide Version 3 Volume 1
    099751365445 CSIINS30SGv ol1 Lab Guide V3
    099751365438 CSIINS30LAB Student Guide Version 3 Volume 2
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    2,560

    Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondabuff View Post

    The CCNA Security book is not enough to take the 210-260 exam. . The other 3 are the ones you need and they have everything you need to pass the exam. I got mine in my boot camp from a Cisco certified training center and was told the are over $400.
    So did you actually take the 210-260 exam already?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    482

    Certifications
    MCITP, MCSA, CCNA, VCA, ACA
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondabuff View Post
    The Books UPC's are below. I have no idea if you can purchase them independent of the course. I will be selling mine after the course is done.

    099751365452 CSIINSGv ol2 Student Guide Version 3 Volume 1
    099751365445 CSIINS30SGv ol1 Lab Guide V3
    099751365438 CSIINS30LAB Student Guide Version 3 Volume 2

    Would you mind unbinding and scanning. Cough cough.

    Just kidding! Google search with the UPC brings up nothing though
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Posts
    75

    Certifications
    CCNA:R&S/S, CCNP:R&S, Security+, Palo Alto ACE v7.0
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
    Eff that. Cisco exams have always been able to be passed via self study. I hope they aren't changing that fact. What are some topics that are covered in those class manuals that aren't covered in the OCG?
    I find it very hard to believe that there are topics that the OCG doesn't mention that are on the exam. I can believe that there might be something that is vaguely mentioned in the OCG and you need additional resources to study that topic. But I'm pretty sure Cisco doesn't green light a book that is "completely" missing topics. Again i said missing.. not fully covered in detail.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Network Engineer Hondabuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    637

    Certifications
    CCNA:S, CCNA, CCENT, CCNP:R&S,MECP, A+, Network+, Security+, Network Security Diploma
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by mackenzae View Post
    I find it very hard to believe that there are topics that the OCG doesn't mention that are on the exam. I can believe that there might be something that is vaguely mentioned in the OCG and you need additional resources to study that topic. But I'm pretty sure Cisco doesn't green light a book that is "completely" missing topics. Again i said missing.. not fully covered in detail.
    This is only my opinion, just because it is vaguely mentioned in the OCG doesn't it make it fair play to ask about something that has to be researched "outside" of the Cisco world. I had a question that is definitely not in the OCG and I knew it only cause I passed the 98-365 Microsoft Exam and was familiar with the technology. I even double checked the book once I got out of the test center to verify. Nope, Not in there. I would say if you are a seasoned IT person you can figure out some of the questions and check the best one. Ranking it on a scale of 1 out of 10 with 10 being the CCNP Route exam I would rank 210-260 a solid 5. There were a lot of things I remembered from Security+ that allowed me to pick the best answer. I researched the OCG after the exam looking for the topics and did find 90% of them. They were mentioned but no way can you derive the level of question asked just by barley talking about it in one sentence of the OCG.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    392

    Certifications
    CCNP R&S, MCSE 2000, MCTS-640, CCNA:Sec
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondabuff View Post
    CCNA Security (IINS) Bootcamp | Cisco Training
    Boson is the one Im currently at and its on point for what you would expect on the exam. I would say that all the CCP labs were replaced with ASDM with Next Generation firewalls featuring Cisco's new FirePower line. The labs are all based off of Cisco's VIRL emulator and Kali Linux from CEH course is used extensively throughout the course. Think of a CEH course combined with the old CCNA security minus CCP.
    That. Sounds. Pretty. AWESOME!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Senior Member aderon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    369

    Certifications
    B.S. IT - Sec, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, AWS CSA Associate, CCENT, A+, Net+, Sec+, Proj+, Lin+, LPIC-1, CIW: WFA, CIW: WDS, MTA: OS, MCP
    #21
    Might be worth checking this out. Not sure if it's just a digital copy of the book or not, but it's got an evaluation trial so probably worth checking out. As soon as my password reset (-_-) I'll give it a go.

    https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.c...ns-v3-0-019451
    2017 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA (Complete), OSCP (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress)
    2017 Reading Goals: Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide (Completed), Automate the Boring Stuff with Python (In Progress)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Network Engineer Hondabuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    637

    Certifications
    CCNA:S, CCNA, CCENT, CCNP:R&S,MECP, A+, Network+, Security+, Network Security Diploma
    #22
    Just an fyi, I listed the books on eBay for a 3 day auction.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    482

    Certifications
    MCITP, MCSA, CCNA, VCA, ACA
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondabuff View Post
    Just an fyi, I listed the books on eBay for a 3 day auction.
    Link? I can't find it at all.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Network Engineer Hondabuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    637

    Certifications
    CCNA:S, CCNA, CCENT, CCNP:R&S,MECP, A+, Network+, Security+, Network Security Diploma
    #24
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    41
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by aderon View Post
    Might be worth checking this out. Not sure if it's just a digital copy of the book or not, but it's got an evaluation trial so probably worth checking out. As soon as my password reset (-_-) I'll give it a go.

    https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.c...ns-v3-0-019451
    Has anyone here ever taken one of these cisco e learning courses? Was it enough to pass?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 23 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks