Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    Gratz! Nice work!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member

Certifications
    MCSE in Server 2012, VMware VCAP, CISSP, Security+, CCNA
    Awesome Noah! Your account is the first one I've heard saying that the test was easier than expected which is good to hear

I was planning on getting the Boson practice test but hearing how accurate it is I'll now definitely plan on getting that before taking the real test!

What did you use along with the OCG and Boson to study? Did you happen to listen to the CBTNugget videos? Wondered if they are worth doing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ Net+ Sec+, Project+,Linux+, CCNA R/S, CCNA Security and bunch of useless certs from WGU program
    @AMD4EVER I gave up pretty quickly reading the OCG. I watched about half the CBTNugget videos, mostly the ones covering topics that I didn't understand well, especially the lab configs, setting up vpns and access control lists. It's worth the money. CBT and Boson would be enough to learn the topic and pass.

The Cisco learning program, Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0, did the most for me. This was my last class other than the capstone, so I was willing to pay the money for it since I'm pretty burnt out from all the certs and WGU classes and my semester ends this month; I was ready to get it all done with! It has more than enough labs that aren't even on the test and it is very thorough. It has 1 year of access so I'll probably be jumping in there from time to time to freshen up my knowledge.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

The question is for @noahp34 or anyone who has actually used these resources. Is the Cisco e-learning course Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 and the books CCNA Security Course Booklet Version 2 and CCNA Security Lab Manual Version 2 enough study material needed for passing the 210-260 exam? Just looking to get what I need and nothing more.

Last edited by greeneon; 01-16-2016 at 02:38 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT - Sec, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, AWS CSA Associate, CCENT, A+, Net+, Sec+, Proj+, Lin+, LPIC-1, CIW: WFA, CIW: WDS, MTA: OS, MCP
    Awesome man! Congrats and thanks for the write up.
    2017 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA (Complete), OSCP (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress)
    2017 Reading Goals: Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide (Completed), Automate the Boring Stuff with Python (In Progress)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ Net+ Sec+, Project+,Linux+, CCNA R/S, CCNA Security and bunch of useless certs from WGU program
    @Greeneon I think if you're really thorough you would be okay. Everything you need for the test is in that course. For me, I really like having Boson to get into testing mode right before the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Thnx @noahp34 appreciate the response! My next question can be answered by anyone who has taken the exam already? Approximately, how much study time will one needed before taking the exam? I apologize if this question has been asked somewhere else in this forum. I just can seem to find it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    CCNA R/S, MCP, A+, Net+, Sec+, Proj+, Linux+, LPIC 1
    Congrats on the pass, noahp34. I have access to the resources for CCNA S through WGU as well. I have a licensed version of Packet Tracer and VIRL (even though it's about to expire) and I got super frustrated with the OCG pretty quickly. Do you think studying the Nuggets videos and labbing a bit paired with Boson is a good way to go? I don't have the funds for the official Cisco course so I'm working with what I have. The Nuggets videos were great resources for the CCNA R/S.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yeah I think you can pass. But make sure you understand all the Boson questions and why the answers are right or wrong, try not to memorize them. That combined with CBT should be good enough. I'm not sure Packet Tracer will help you too much. The sims on Boson are fairly decent though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT - Sec, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, AWS CSA Associate, CCENT, A+, Net+, Sec+, Proj+, Lin+, LPIC-1, CIW: WFA, CIW: WDS, MTA: OS, MCP
    Scheduled to take this tomorrow at 1PM EST. I'm feeling pretty confident. Spending most of today going through all the Boson practice exams one more time and then reviewing flash cards and playing around with ASDM.

I will let you all know how it goes!
    2017 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA (Complete), OSCP (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress)
    2017 Reading Goals: Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide (Completed), Automate the Boring Stuff with Python (In Progress)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    Good luck aderon! What all resources have you been using to study?

Just about to start watching the CBT Nugget videos. Found out my new job I just got that they pay for everyone to use that site.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I read the OCG (Unfortunately lol), wrote notes, created flash cards, watched about half the CBT Nuggets, had ASDM setup so I could mess around with it, and have been going through the Boson practice exams (super helpful stuff imo).

The CBTNuggets are pretty good, but as always, you have to supplement them with additional material. I highly recommend the Boson practice exams. The explanations for each question are very useful and pretty thorough.

Also, I love your yearly goals lmao. Awesome.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Man that was brutal! lol. I failed with an 810/860 which by my guess is about 2-3 questions short. Breakdown as follows:

Security Concepts - 88%
    Secure Access - 70%
    VPN - 75%
    Secure Routing & Switching - 77%
    Cisco Firewall Technologies - 46%
    IPS - 83%
    Content and Endpoint Security - 88%

The only strange part about the breakdown is probably the firewall technologies. I felt, going into the exam, that firewalls was my strongest area (go figure lol). Somewhat surprised that my Secure routing & switching was as high as it was. I felt that this was my weakest area going in.

A few things regarding the test:

1) ASDM slayed me. Was getting asked a lot of questions about topics I didn't realize I needed to know.
    2) Some answers are very strangely worded. You'll see the question and it will be super basic and your immediate thought is "O awesome, this one is basically a freebie". Then you look at the possible answers and you're sitting there scratching your head because they're all very strangely worded.
    3) There is absolutely no possible way you can read just the OCG and pass. I'd bet money on that. I don't think you'd even come remotely close.
    4) I'm somewhat worried about a retake. I'm not really sure what else I'm supposed to study. I'm going to just try to work on a few of the questions that I wasn't sure on and hope that I get an easier question selection next time around. I felt like I knew all the topics, and I still feel that way (ASDM being the one exception).
    5) A few questions came out of left field. Literally no idea, just had to guess. (Topics that I hadn't seen in the OCG, the CBTNuggets, or the Boson's)

So, I've got all the way until February 1st to do a retake, so we'll see how that goes.
    Last edited by aderon; 01-26-2016 at 03:40 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    Sorry to hear aderon! I've definitely read some of the same thoughts on CLN regarding this exam. It's a shame, as I'd like to pursue this. I just don't know why MS and Cisco feel the need to make the verbiage in the exams difficult in order to make the exams difficult.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I bet when you retake it, 95% of the questions will be the same. At least that was my experience with previous CCNA test. And I 100% agree about the OCG. You'll kill it next time!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+, CCNA Security
    aderon, I'm in the same boat as you. I failed with a 750 last week and thought I had a good grasp on the topics. ADSM hosed me as well, give me the CLI any day. I have until 1/28 to re-certify so I don't have much choice but to go over the areas I didn't do as well in and hope for the best at this point. I've been using the OCG and CBT nuggets and found a few questions I don't recall seeing at all in the OCG or CBT.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R+S, CCNA:DC, CCNA Security, CCNP R+S, BEng Computer Networking
    Quote Originally Posted by aderon View Post
    Man that was brutal! lol. I failed with an 810/860 which by my guess is about 2-3 questions short. Breakdown as follows:

Security Concepts - 88%
    Secure Access - 70%
    VPN - 75%
    Secure Routing & Switching - 77%
    Cisco Firewall Technologies - 46%
    IPS - 83%
    Content and Endpoint Security - 88%

The only strange part about the breakdown is probably the firewall technologies. I felt, going into the exam, that firewalls was my strongest area (go figure lol). Somewhat surprised that my Secure routing & switching was as high as it was. I felt that this was my weakest area going in.

A few things regarding the test:

1) ASDM slayed me. Was getting asked a lot of questions about topics I didn't realize I needed to know.
    2) Some answers are very strangely worded. You'll see the question and it will be super basic and your immediate thought is "O awesome, this one is basically a freebie". Then you look at the possible answers and you're sitting there scratching your head because they're all very strangely worded.
    3) There is absolutely no possible way you can read just the OCG and pass. I'd bet money on that. I don't think you'd even come remotely close.
    4) I'm somewhat worried about a retake. I'm not really sure what else I'm supposed to study. I'm going to just try to work on a few of the questions that I wasn't sure on and hope that I get an easier question selection next time around. I felt like I knew all the topics, and I still feel that way (ASDM being the one exception).
    5) A few questions came out of left field. Literally no idea, just had to guess. (Topics that I hadn't seen in the OCG, the CBTNuggets, or the Boson's)

So, I've got all the way until February 1st to do a retake, so we'll see how that goes.
    Sorry to hear about the fail. Heard the Chris Bryant Udemy series is pretty good - might be worth looking at that?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by noahp34 View Post
    I bet when you retake it, 95% of the questions will be the same. At least that was my experience with previous CCNA test. And I 100% agree about the OCG. You'll kill it next time!
    Yea, this is true unfortunately. That is why are so many people able to dump for some of the Cisco tests... Pretty stupid they don't have a larger array of questions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Alright, round two goin down either tomorrow or the day after (Still waiting on WGU's site to stop bugging out so I can put in my voucher request lol). I found some great ASDM resources which have helped and I feel about as strong on everything else as I was before (with slightly more "refined" understanding of certain things). Same as before, I'll be back here to report on the exam whether I pass or fail. Here's to hoping it's a pass!

Two two ASDM resources I really like:
    http://juantron.wix.com/my-networkin...yconnect/c24fs
    http://juantron.wix.com/my-networkin...m-part-i/c1fvl
    Last edited by aderon; 02-01-2016 at 08:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+ce, Server+, Project+, MCSA Server 2008, CCENT, CCNA R&S, CEHv8, CHFIv8, CCNA Security
    Best of luck to you! I am currently studying MCSA Server 2012 for the 70-417 exam, but I have to renew my CCNA R&S by 9/21/16. What are the learning resources that WGU is giving you for exam preparation? I have the OCG and CBTNuggets by Keith Barker, but I don't have a lab guide. I will wait patiently for your results on here, and I definitely hope you skate right through it!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks and good luck on your cert. WGU provides the OCG, the CBTNuggets, and the Boson practice exams. The bosons are the most useful of the three. The OCG is pretty poor. The Boson practice exams have some simulations that have an ASDM GUI, but you'll want to setup ASDM yourself to lab with as the sims are pretty limited and don't cover everything you need to know.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. ProEthicalHacker.com fuz1on's Avatar
    silicon valley, where we speak that bay area slang

Certifications
    CCNA CCENT ITIL SSCA SSVVP WSQD WSQI Cloud+ Mobility+ Security+ Linux+ Network+ Server+ Project+ A+ HIT LPIC-1 CLA11 ACE ace/PACA SSBBP SSLP CMS SCP
    Great job so far and you'll get it next time! I'm working on CCNA-Sec too so hope we can both pass soon!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Well... I failed again with an even worse score. The report is in my car, but I believe it was a 770. To be honest, I'm feeling extremely defeated and powerless. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do at this point because I don't feel like I'm going to be able to pass this with even a third attempt. I don't feel like there's any more preparation I can do to answer some of these questions. It's a pretty depressing feeling when you know the answer to a question but also know that you're going to get it wrong. Sorry to vent, I just feel really down about this whole thing and my confidence has taken a pretty big hit. I've spent almost every waking moment studying for this for the last 4 weeks and I'm making backwards progress...

I spoke with my WGU mentor and he's a suggested a few things. One thing he mentioned is that I should probably just take a break from this for the moment and finish up my last 3 classses (The two classes on the paper and then the python class). At least that way I'll have some forward progress.

The other thing is that if I were to switch my major to just Information Technology (With no security focus) it will substitute the CCNA Sec class for a javascript class which is supposedly easier. This would be a pretty big blow to my future plans. I want to make a career in security (not in network security specifically, but one of the other specializations) and the "security" emphasis was pretty important to me and what I'm trying to accomplish. Plus it feels like a copout to change paths once it becomes hard. But, honestly I'm at a loss for what else I can do.
    Last edited by aderon; 02-03-2016 at 03:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    Sorry to hear that, that sucks. I want to smack the back of the mentor's head for thinking you should take a break from something when you almost passed an exam twice though!

There are plenty of people on here who have had to take an exam more than twice to pass. It happens to the best of us. I'm not able to tell you what you should study, but I definitely don't think you should give up or even take a break with all the work you have put in!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 First 12 345 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks