+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 First 123 45 Last

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by aderon View Post
    5) A few questions came out of left field. Literally no idea, just had to guess. (Topics that I hadn't seen in the OCG, the CBTNuggets, or the Boson's)

So, I've got all the way until February 1st to do a retake, so we'll see how that goes.
    Have you used the blueprint to study? If you are getting killed on topics you've never seen before it's time to hit the blueprint.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
    silicon valley, where we speak that bay area slang

Certifications
    CCNA CCENT ITIL SSCA SSVVP WSQD WSQI Cloud+ Mobility+ Security+ Linux+ Network+ Server+ Project+ A+ HIT LPIC-1 CLA11 ACE ace/PACA SSBBP SSLP CMS SCP
    Sorry to hear/read! Like others have said, your right at the cusp of passing with those two previous scores. I think the third time will be the charm and you'll get it next time. Just remember, you were at the doorstep and - next time - you'll have the right lock combo to get in. That's what I told myself after my .0001 fail and 1 point fail on ICND1.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    "I eat SubNets like You for breakfast..."
    It's a new test....
    So there's Not a Lot of good material out there yet. (Quite a few people said the official cisco material sucks)

If you want to make a "Career" in Security... then go ahead and do it.
    You don't need a special 'security' Degree to control that.

You just a need a degree.

You can always come back for the cert AFTER you graduate....
    Last edited by volfkhat; 02-03-2016 at 05:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ Net+ Sec+, Project+,Linux+, CCNA R/S, CCNA Security and bunch of useless certs from WGU program
    I'd hit the other classes and then come back to it. That way you won't have those other ones hanging over your head and you can come back at it fresh. If you get desperate like me and you have the cash or work will reimburse you, the Cisco course really helped me out:
    https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.c...ns-v3-0-019451

Super pricey but lots of good labs and practice.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    Quote Originally Posted by noahp34 View Post
    If you get desperate like me and you have the cash or work will reimburse you, the Cisco course really helped me out:

$350 to make sure you understand the topics even more and don't have to pay another $250 to retake again (and again). Worth it imo. Understand it could be alot for someone starting out though... Then again it isn't a gaurentee pass. I'll be purchasing this once I finish the CBT Nugget videos though.

I'm going off noahp's word that it is good, haven't heard anyone else who has bought it. So I'll be going after him if it isn't!
    Last edited by NetworkNewb; 02-03-2016 at 06:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S
    The other option(if you can get your company to pay for it) is to take the Cisco course through a partner like Global Knowledge. They have their own course and lab manuals not found anywhere else.

IINS Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security 3.0 at Global Knowledge
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT - Sec, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, AWS CSA Associate, CCENT, A+, Net+, Sec+, Proj+, Lin+, LPIC-1, CIW: WFA, CIW: WDS, MTA: OS, MCP
    I'd hit the other classes and then come back to it. That way you won't have those other ones hanging over your head and you can come back at it fresh. If you get desperate like me and you have the cash or work will reimburse you, the Cisco course really helped me out:

Yeah, if I attempt again, then I think I'm going to purchase this. I asked the course mentor if WGU could get access, but he only basically said maybe, that it would depend on what price cisco is willing to sell it to them for.
    2017 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA (Complete), OSCP (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress)
    2017 Reading Goals: Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide (Completed), Automate the Boring Stuff with Python (In Progress)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ Net+ Sec+, Project+,Linux+, CCNA R/S, CCNA Security and bunch of useless certs from WGU program
    Download the demo and try it out. It's got 26 labs. That combined with CBT and Boson really helped me out. If you lived nearby, I'd tell you to come by and try it out. I'm starting to sound like a company shill, ha!

@Aderon just curious, did you have problems with the big sim not working? I still see people complaining about it on the Cisco forums and I couldn't get it to work even though I was able to recreate it later and get it running at home after the test.

@NetworkNewb I actually found a couple folks on the Cisco forums talking about it but I could never find a real solid review for it. Anyway, if you have problems with the exam and see that noahp34 stopped logging in but a noahq34 pops up on the forum, it's definitely a different person.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSc, MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, N+, S+, CEH, CISSP

These look pretty good.

Do you get discount if your company is a Cisco Partner? It was US $350 until i logged and now it's US $297.50.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNP R&S
    nice find aderon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Member

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA R&S, Security
    when you mention cisco training course, can you clarify what you mean? as in a bootcamp?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member

Certifications
    So I ended up moving the test up today and I passed! The test was easier than I thought it would be. I had two sims, one was straight forward but like others have reported, it seems like the other configuration one is busted. Im 99% I did it correctly but I couldn't get it to ping correctly. I spent 20 mins trying to get it to work.

Anyway, the Boson test is very similar to the real thing. If you understand all the answers and read all the explanations you will pass. Also, the Cisco training course is definitely sufficient and the sims in it are great it's just really pricey.

when you mention cisco training course, can you clarify what you mean? as in a bootcamp?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by greeneon View Post

The question is for @noahp34 or anyone who has actually used these resources. Is the Cisco e-learning course Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 and the books CCNA Security Course Booklet Version 2 and CCNA Security Lab Manual Version 2 enough study material needed for passing the 210-260 exam? Just looking to get what I need and nothing more.

i am going on a bootcamp and it turns out it will be Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 and so If that is what you need + i have cbt nuggets + chris bryant, and i will do labs as well and I have kit at work i can use, i am looking forward to this. please follow me on my own topic where i cover my journey for the CCNA Security
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by koz24 View Post
    The other option(if you can get your company to pay for it) is to take the Cisco course through a partner like Global Knowledge. They have their own course and lab manuals not found anywhere else.

IINS Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security 3.0 at Global Knowledge
    that is what i am going to be using
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT - Sec, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, AWS CSA Associate, CCENT, A+, Net+, Sec+, Proj+, Lin+, LPIC-1, CIW: WFA, CIW: WDS, MTA: OS, MCP
    Alright, so I finished up all the other classes on my degree. Time to come back to this and go for a third attempt .

I probably won't be posting in this until after I pass this time, but I'm curious if any new study materials have come out since 02/01/2016? I'm going to buy the Cisco learning program, Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 that everyone recommends. But, I was curious if maybe there's better books out now or anything like that as well?

Apparently CCNA Security (210-260) Portable Command Guide (2nd Edition) is fairly new. I just got a copy of that and I've only glanced through it, but it seems to be a lot more to the point than the OCG. It kind of just looks like a giant book of study notes.
    Last edited by aderon; 04-17-2016 at 04:00 AM.
    2017 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA (Complete), OSCP (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress)
    2017 Reading Goals: Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide (Completed), Automate the Boring Stuff with Python (In Progress)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I took the 210-260 exam on Friday and passed with a score of 980/1000. I had purchased the Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 course and went through all 20 modules in order to prep for the test. I can truly say that it was a great investment and all that one needs to successfully pass the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks for the feedback, that's exactly what I was wondering. That's an amazing score btw. Good job!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by greeneon View Post
    I took the 210-260 exam on Friday and passed with a score of 980/1000. I had purchased the Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0 course and went through all 20 modules in order to prep for the test. I can truly say that it was a great investment and all that one needs to successfully pass the exam.
    I'm using that material as well now. How did you get labs as they are hard to come by haha.

I need to know your strategy methods (everything you did and used) because I got my exam very soon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by sidninja View Post
    I'm using that material as well now. How did you get labs as they are hard to come by haha.

I need to know your strategy methods (everything you did and used) because I got my exam very soon

what i mean by that is that i did the course via global knowledge and the labs are no longer available as they were only there for the week, but i got the book it came with and there is a 31 days before the 210-260 book, which feels like a condensed version of it; problem is, that book doesnt come out til June and Chris Bryant cant refresh the course til early May!

so @greeneon, what was your strategy and materials used in total?

how long did you study for and how hard was it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R/S
    Anyone know of any other books coming out for this subject?

Thread has been a good read thus far, starting my studies this week.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    This ones probably a little too far out to be useful. But on July 1st this will be available:

http://www.amazon.com/Days-Before-Yo...ywords=210-260

No idea whether it's going to be any good or not though.

I can say however that I am thoroughly enjoying Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0. Having only just started on it, I can already tell it is going to help immensely. In the first 10 pages it's already covered some subjects that were on the exam, but were completely absent from the official course guide book. The explanations and diagrams are a lot easier to understand and overall I'm pretty excited about it. It is expensive though O_O ($350).
    Last edited by aderon; 04-19-2016 at 12:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by aderon View Post
    This ones probably a little too far out to be useful. But on July 1st this will be available:

http://www.amazon.com/Days-Before-Yo...ywords=210-260

No idea whether it's going to be any good or not though. - it is amazing from what i was able to read from it! i read everything up to the parts that in dev! however, i realized that the book is a abridged version of the book you get in the IINS course! which made me laugh!

I can say however that I am thoroughly enjoying Implementing Cisco Network Security (IINS) v3.0. Having only just started on it, I can already tell it is going to help immensely. In the first 10 pages it's already covered some subjects that were on the exam, but were completely absent from the official course guide book. The explanations and diagrams are a lot easier to understand and overall I'm pretty excited about it. It is expensive though O_O ($350).
    - it is but it is worth it. however, note that the labs you can only do while on the course and that is it.

gonna look to take the test next friday!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by sidninja View Post
    however, i realized that the book is a abridged version of the book you get in the IINS course! which made me laugh!
    Lol wow... That is pretty ridiculous. Good luck on your attempt, hope you do well
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Member

Certifications
    Thanks! I'm trying different resources.

One good tip for people is to use the free trial of safari books online for the books like the ones listed and also for the 640 one as it fills in gaps
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Member

Certifications
    also, one book that everyone needs to check out on SFO is CCNA 210-260 portable guide - it is very good - also i will be providing my own study guide that is condensed from all the material i have come across - i will make it public on google docs after i take the test..

it is getting bigger and bigger, but i feel its very necessary as it is going by the blueprint and covers EVERY topic.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 First 123 45 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks