+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 Last

Certifications
    B.S. IT - Sec, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, AWS CSA Associate, CCENT, A+, Net+, Sec+, Proj+, Lin+, LPIC-1, CIW: WFA, CIW: WDS, MTA: OS, MCP

Cool CCNA Security Progress Thread

Decided to make a progress thread while working towards the CCNA Security. I've done a few of these for my other certs and they seem to help with keeping me focused! If this against the rules of this particular subforum, just let me know.

I officially started studying on the 21st. I'm reading through the official guide book (I'm taking the 210-260) and have been writing notes throughout. My initial impression on the book wasn't great, but it's not the worst thing I've ever read, so there's that lol...

As of right now, the majority of the material has just been a rehash of Security+ topics, so I'd say if you already have that, this should be a logical next step. By the end of this upcoming week, I want to be done with the book and move onto labbing and note review. My overall goal is test probably around.... late November or early December.

Anyways, if anyone wants to comment their experiences here as well or offer words of wisdom, I'm all ears!
    Last edited by aderon; 10-26-2015 at 03:38 PM.
    2017 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA (Complete), OSCP (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress)
    2017 Learning/Reading Goals: Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide (Completed), Automate the Boring Stuff with Python (Completed), Black Hat Python (Completed), CodeAcademy Learn Python (Completed), SecurityTube Python Scripting Expert (Completed), Assembly Language Megaprimer for Linux (Completed), The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing (Completed), PenTesterLab Bootcamp (In Progress)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNA Security, CCNA, MCDST
    Good luck to you. I am currently working my way through the book and hope to test around the same time frame as you. I have to get it done before Christmas as my CCNA expires on the 26th.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, GCIA, GCIH, C|EH, and more.
    I had only been in security for about a year when I studied for this exam and had lots of fun learning the material. Good luck!
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." - Homer Simpson
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    Good luck aderon. I'm keeping my eyes out for the FLG to be released as I may be doing the CCENT/CCNA S next year.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member

Certifications
    Too much for my own good
    same boat hope to be in the winner's circle with you guys
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ Net+ Sec+, Project+,Linux+, CCNA R/S, CCNA Security and bunch of useless certs from WGU program
    I'll be starting this after I finish Linux plus. Let us know how the study material is and if you think WGU's material is sufficient!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA:S, CCNA, CCENT, 2x CCNP:R&S,MECP, A+, Network+, Security+, Network Security Diploma
    Build an ASA lab with GNS3 and practice with a Device in the DMZ and setting zone pair rules.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. IT - Sec, CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, AWS CSA Associate, CCENT, A+, Net+, Sec+, Proj+, Lin+, LPIC-1, CIW: WFA, CIW: WDS, MTA: OS, MCP
    Thanks for all the positive support guys. So this week wasn't too bad. I'm on page 200 and still got a decent chunk to go (I think another 300 or so pages). I kind of slacked this week, so I'm going to try to be a little more consistent with my studying.

The book is still somewhat strange, but I'm getting used to it. There's a point in the book where an entire chapter is devoted to a subject and then the very next chapter teaches almost the exact same subject. I was getting deja vu it was pretty weird lol.

Feeling pretty good about this overall, but I want to be done with reading and onto some labs already! :P I think I'm for sure going to take this in December instead of late November based on my pace and the way it'll affect my on time progress at my university.
    2017 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA (Complete), OSCP (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress)
    2017 Learning/Reading Goals: Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide (Completed), Automate the Boring Stuff with Python (Completed), Black Hat Python (Completed), CodeAcademy Learn Python (Completed), SecurityTube Python Scripting Expert (Completed), Assembly Language Megaprimer for Linux (Completed), The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing (Completed), PenTesterLab Bootcamp (In Progress)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ Net+ Sec+, Project+,Linux+, CCNA R/S, CCNA Security and bunch of useless certs from WGU program
    I'll be interested to know if you think WGU has enough material for this exam. If all goes well, I should be done with Linux the 13th and starting Security right after.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Hey good luck on the exam! Have you already taken the first LPIC exam?

I'll be sure to weigh in on my experiences once I take the test, but most likely I'm going to branch out and find other materials on my own if I'm not feeling comfortable with taking the test just from WGU's resources.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yup, I passed part one. It was kind of rough but a pass is a pass. I wasn't nearly prepared enough for the fill in the blank questions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Nice! Congrats. I remember the fill in the blanks being pretty rough.

Update: I'm on page 330. Seriously considering just skimming to the end of the book and then labbing. Reading thoroughly through this book is taking forever lol. I feel like I'm somehow cheating myself if I do this, but I'm already familiar with most of the material from the Security+ and the rest seems pretty self-explanatory.

From what I've read so far, it seems like the test is going to be really heavy on VPNs, AAA, and how keys and certificates work together. It looks like the last section of the book has a large focus on firewall/IPS. I go on a 2 week "study vacation" starting the day after tomorrow so I'm expecting my progress should go a little quicker.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Whelp, I put this on hold until about January 1st, because I didn't feel like the training material for the 210-260 was adequate. The Boson practice exams are finally out and it's pretty crazy, but I would say that the material covered in the official book is probably only about 30-40% of what is in the Boson exams. Another thing I like is that in the answer explanations they provide links to the Cisco source where you can do additional reading. The additional reading has been extremely beneficial I feel.

I'm not sure what my timeline is at the moment, but it feels good to be hitting the books again. Maybe around the end of January I'll test.

It's been so long since I first started this thread, has anyone who was planning on working on this actually taken the exam yet? I'm curious what your experience was like.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MSISA, BSBA
    INE also has their new videos for the 210-260 finished. Available as a download for $79. They don't have the syllabus for the videos on the main page for the 210-260 but if you click on the All Access Pass details and look at the list of videos, click on the course there and it has all of the videos listed.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, GCIA, GSEC, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, BSBA - University of Florida, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: MS Cybersecurity, Learning Python
    Next Up:​ None
    Reading:​ Python Crash Course
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Member

Certifications
    MCSE in Server 2012, VMware VCAP, CISSP, Security+, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
    INE also has their new videos for the 210-260 finished. Available as a download for $79. They don't have the syllabus for the videos on the main page for the 210-260 but if you click on the All Access Pass details and look at the list of videos, click on the course there and it has all of the videos listed.
    How does INE compare to CBTNuggets for general CCNA videos?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I scheduled mine for the 21st. I had hoped to take it the first week of January, but the house we were living in sold so I spent most of December moving. I actually ended up buying Cisco's training when it was on sale so I'm going through that now. Not sure if I will be ready for the test but I'm okay with failing it just to see where I measure up and what I will need to focus on.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MSCIA, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Security, CCNA:R&S, Security+, Linux+, A+
    Guys, just to let you know. Really go over ASDM and do a lot of lab. After the the new CBTnuggets, Cisco guide, Boson exams, and youtube....I passed today. i did right after I finished my Comptia Security+, CCNA-S is hard.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by noahp34 View Post
    I scheduled mine for the 21st. I had hoped to take it the first week of January, but the house we were living in sold so I spent most of December moving. I actually ended up buying Cisco's training when it was on sale so I'm going through that now. Not sure if I will be ready for the test but I'm okay with failing it just to see where I measure up and what I will need to focus on.
    Nice! Well good luck dude. Let us know how it goes.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Good to know yellowpad! I've been doing lots of labs so hopefully I'll be ready.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSc, MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, N+, S+, CEH, CISSP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondabuff View Post
    Build an ASA lab with GNS3 and practice with a Device in the DMZ and setting zone pair rules.
    Which IOS's did you use?

I normally use Packet Tracer but there are a lot commands for the CCNA Security Lab v2 which are not available. I have tried to use GNS3 for the first time and find that the IOS's are not compatible or the routers freeze when i connect via PuTTY.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Member

Certifications
    MCSE in Server 2012, VMware VCAP, CISSP, Security+, CCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by Archon View Post
    Which IOS's did you use?

I normally use Packet Tracer but there are a lot commands for the CCNA Security Lab v2 which are not available. I have tried to use GNS3 for the first time and find that the IOS's are not compatible or the routers freeze when i connect via PuTTY.
    I couldn't even find any IOS's to use! Can anyone give me any tips on how to find some? Message me directly if this can't be shared in the forum
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Officially you need a support contract with Cisco to get access to the IOS's. Just use Google, simple as that.

GNS3 v1.4 has been released so might give that a go.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    So I ended up moving the test up today and I passed! The test was easier than I thought it would be. I had two sims, one was straight forward but like others have reported, it seems like the other configuration one is busted. Im 99% I did it correctly but I couldn't get it to ping correctly. I spent 20 mins trying to get it to work.

Anyway, the Boson test is very similar to the real thing. If you understand all the answers and read all the explanations you will pass. Also, the Cisco training course is definitely sufficient and the sims in it are great it's just really pricey.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S
    Congrats on the pass Noah.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Congrats
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks