+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skipping CCENT

1. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+,Network+,Security+,eJPT

Default Skipping CCENT

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm a little confused. I was wondering if it was possible to skip the CCENT and go straight for CCNA Sec? If it is possible would you guys recommend it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    No you can't. And even if you could, without extensive networking knowledge you would never pass the security exam without fundamental knowledge.

Non ccna route exams are considered ccnp level
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    Sure, you could skip the CCENT and get the CCNA R&S and then go for the CCNA Sec. Or if your feeling up for it just go straight for one of the CCIEs and then get your CCNA Sec. Might be easier just to get the CCENT over getting one of the CCIEs though. Or at least that is a rumor I've been told.

Only ways I believe you can skip the CCENT...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member

Certifications
    LPIC-1, Linux+, SUSE CLA, MCP, VCA6-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilltech View Post
    Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm a little confused. I was wondering if it was possible to skip the CCENT and go straight for CCNA Sec? If it is possible would you guys recommend it?
    If you have relevant network knowledge, you can go straight to any CCNA certification, not required to have a CCENT.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    He wants to go straight to ccna secuirty, not r&s. The prerequisite for that either ccent or ccna r&s
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by duta74 View Post
    If you have relevant network knowledge, you can go straight to any CCNA certification, not required to have a CCENT.

No you cannot. Prerequisite for any non r&s ccna is either: ccent, ccna r&s or ccie
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly_59 View Post
    No you cannot. Prerequisite for any non r&s ccna is either: ccent, ccna r&s or ccie
    Hmm, my fault, CCNA Security have Prerequisites, but not any CCNA have Prerequisites.
    For full clarity:
    CCNA Service Provider, CCNA Cloud, CCNA Collaboration, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCNA Data Center, CCNA Routing and Switching - doesn't have Prerequisites
    CCDA, CCNA Industrial, CCNA Security, CCNA Wireless - have Prerequisites

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/traini...associate.html
    Last edited by duta74; 09-08-2017 at 08:32 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member

Certifications
    Thanks everyone for clearing it up for me. It looks like I'll have to put the CCNA Security on hold. I was hoping I could knock it out before starting the OSCP, but it looks like I will need to take R&S first.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Member

Certifications
    If you are on Pentesting way(eJPT, OSCP), I think you don't need CCNA Security, because it is more Cisco hardware security(Switches, Firewalls).
    From Cissco certification CCNA Cyber Ops is more relevant for you
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    The na level exams which don't require a prerequisite all consist of 2 exams. So in reality the prerequisite is the first exam in the track
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. They are watching you NetworkNewb's Avatar

Certifications
    A+/Net+/Sec+, CCENT, CCNA:Sec, CCSK, GCIH
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly_59 View Post
    The na level exams which don't require a prerequisite all consist of 2 exams. So in reality the prerequisite is the first exam in the track
    You can get the CCNA R&S in one exam with out a prereq.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by duta74 View Post
    If you are on Pentesting way(eJPT, OSCP), I think you don't need CCNA Security, because it is more Cisco hardware security(Switches, Firewalls).
    From Cissco certification CCNA Cyber Ops is more relevant for you

Ya I was looking at the CCNA Cyber ops, but I don't think it will really teach me anything I haven't already learned from the Security+,eJPT, and the upcoming OSCP. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see what people think of it. It's a relatively new cert if I'm not mistaken.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    GCIH, C|EH, MCSA Windows 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilltech View Post
    Ya I was looking at the CCNA Cyber ops, but I don't think it will really teach me anything I haven't already learned from the Security+,eJPT, and the upcoming OSCP. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see what people think of it. It's a relatively new cert if I'm not mistaken.
    I was thinking about getting the CCNA Cyber Ops until I saw that each test is $300. Yeah, I'll have to pass on that for now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member
    CCENT will let u sit the CCNA R&S or CCNA Security exam. It's the prereq.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I agree with duta74. CCNA-Sec would be a waste of time for a pen-tester, or for most people in IT security roles. It's more for network admins who need to setup and configure security appliances. On the other hand, if you work in a small shop that does a little bit of everything, and your boss randomly comes in one day and hands you two security appliances to configure for a client, it might be useful.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks