+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CCNA Security

1. Senior Member

Certifications
    B.S. Engineering Physics, M.S. Information Assurance, A+, Network+, Security+, CCNA, MCP (70-270, 70-290), CCNA Security

Default CCNA Security

Greetings,

I was wondering has anybody actually taken and/or passed this exam yet. Just curious how it compares to the CCNA in difficulty.

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA:S, CCNP:RS
    I took the exam and almost passed but I was not ready. It was definitely much easier then the CCNA in my opinion but that may be because this is not the first cert exam for me and I have developed a set method for studying for exams...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    B.S. Engineering Physics, M.S. Information Assurance, A+, Network+, Security+, CCNA, MCP (70-270, 70-290), CCNA Security
    What is your set method...if you don't mind sharing?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    No, I don't mind at all... I have only done this successfully once so it may not be full-proof. However, I did feel that when I went to take the exam that I could not have been more prepared which gave me a ton of confidence. If I can just achieve that same feeling everytime I attempt an exam then I am sure I would never fail one again...

I read the book from front to back just once and I pay attention to detail but do not let myself get "stuck" on something. If I don't understand a certain topic then I just do some basic research to get an answer but I don't spend more then 20 minutes trying to figure it out. This casual reading takes place after work/weekends. After I finish, I attempt to read the book again but this time I take my time and take notes, again reading when I get a chance during the week or weekends. I usually take notes in my notebook and then copy over important topics, or hard to understand topics, onto note cards for quizzing myself. If I am pressed for time then I just basically go straight to note cards and skip the notebook... I am doing that with this exam and it has worked pretty well so far. I want to make sure that I understand the topic, but also remember it, so I don't just aimlessly copy notes from the book but reword everything so that I actually think about what I am writing. This helps me tremendously in remembering the topic and understanding it. After I do this for the entire book and have a good "feel" for the material I begin my weekend cram before the exam. If I am not certain good about some topic then I go back and start to research/read again... Once ready I look for a long weekend that includes a holiday (like next weekend) and take an extra day off. So for instance, I am off Monday next week and I am also taking off Tuesday for the exam. This gives me 3 SOLID days of studying and half a day of last minute review before the exam. I usually divide up this time into reading the book material again chapter by chapter and quizzing myself on the note cards at the end of each one. I go back and do prac questions on the CD that came with the book for each chapter and move on once I feel I got it nailed. I usually reserve the day before the exam to do "light studying" which means I just relax while reading over note cards, grab lunch/dinner with friends, go over key topics, look at the quick reference guide. Test day means cram from morning until exam time. I usually schedule the exam for the latest time slot - 2:45 and get up at around 6/7am. I basically just start going over all of the weak areas, flash cards, exam questions/etc until exam time. I then leave the house for my exam 5 minutes before start time because it literally is across the street from my house, and sit the exam.

I have done this once so far for my CCNA and I nailed it. I pretty much just read the book for the CCNA:Security and the quick reference and almost passed so I am confident that this method will get me a pass when I retake it next week... This may be just a LITTLE bit of overkill for some but I have a very hard time concentrating so this is the only way for me... By the end of this process you would have read the book 3 times and probably spent A LOT of time preparing if you are a slow reader like me. I usually dedicate every free moment I have for my exams and completely block out the rest of my life except for work. I eat/sleep/you get the point - Cisco, until exam day. Dont ask my wife how much she likes me preparing for certs because it may not be pretty... lol

Hope that helps and good luck.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+ Net+ Security+ Server+
    I am exactly the same, but I try to use two books, and online recources. I also block out the rest of the world and totally consume it until I pass.. Then to drink... and pick another to start on.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by TravR1
    I am exactly the same, but I try to use two books, and online recources. I also block out the rest of the world and totally consume it until I pass.. Then to drink... and pick another to start on.
    I hear ya! I use as many books as I can find as long as they are recommended reading by either Cisco or people on here. For the CCNA I used the two Cisco Press books along with the Sybex book. I would use alot more for this exam but the single Cisco Press book is all I could find since its so new. I did however find tons of white papers since then for some extra reading... The CCNP exams (BSCI/BCMSN) give you the option of reading the exam cert guide along with the self-study guide and a lab book. Thats some serious prep work... The following weekend after I take this exam, I am going to a CCNP BCMSN class for a week so I am going to have to write about that experience when I am done. I will probably try the exam right after the class to see how it goes and schedule it again for a couple weeks, if not a month, later for a retake during the second chance promo.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    I am looking to go for that exam sometime in Nov. I just completed the security+ and figured the CCNA:S will help to reinforce some of those topics. I don't think it will be a walk in the park but the CCNA did kick my ass. I was just wondering was I in for another similar battle of just breathing, eating, and sleeping Cisco.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by IT Man
    I am looking to go for that exam sometime in Nov. I just completed the security+ and figured the CCNA:S will help to reinforce some of those topics. I don't think it will be a walk in the park but the CCNA did kick my ass. I was just wondering was I in for another similar battle of just breathing, eating, and sleeping Cisco.
    I dont think you will need to do the breathe/eat/sleep Cisco if you have some security background which I think you do since you got a Sec+. However, the topics also cover tons of Cisco sepcific stuff like the Firewall zones/IPS/IDS/etc so it may not be a cakewalk...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    Well thanks for your input LOkrasa...I will def give it my all and see how I feel in another 2 months.

Good Luck on your 2nd attempt at this exam as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks