+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last
  1. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    Its cool that youre dabbling in all of this but are you retaining any of it? Personally I think you are doing way too much. Good luck though.
    Funny you should ask.

With the Security+/CCNA:S? Yes. In fact the material works very well together. Linux+ is the odd man out. It is harder to related the Linux+ material to the CCNA:S/SEC+ material because they are totally different, which is why the percentage on the Linux+ material is going to be very low for a while. The Sec+/CCNA:Sec material is "easier" for me to retain whereas the Linux+ is more difficult, but not because it is truly more difficult but because I have a harder time applying that material to my job.

I actually may have to walk down the MCSA/E path early next year, but it isn't 100% in stone yet. More than likely I will at least get a MCSA:Sec before June. Who knows. There is also talk about Juniper, RedHat and Solaros stuff as well. Who knows.

As far as it being to much, that is you opinion. I just don't see it the same way. I mean if I said MCSE/RHCE/CCNP/SP at the same time then I could see your point but I see it is learning the basics of a few areas. Nothing to big. Especially since the CCNA:S/S+ are basically to a subset of each other, it seems to me like a no brainer. You shouldn't limit yourself to one thing in terms of studying, mix it up, get creative. Like tonight, I am going to work in the CCNA:S lab manual. Instead of using Windows servers for syslogs, I am going to use Cent servers. You gotta get your feet wet in more than one area imho.
    Last edited by Bl8ckr0uter; 12-21-2009 at 10:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Just curious, what do you do and how long have you worked in IT? Paid work, not the freelance stuff.

Ive been doing this for 6 years and I know what it feels like to be spread thin.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    Just curious, what do you do and how long have you worked in IT? Paid work, not the freelance stuff.

Ive been doing this for 6 years and I know what it feels like to be spread thin.
    Paid Stuff: About 3 1/2 years. I have worked in Telephonic support (yuck!), Break Fix roles, and I am now currently working in a NOC doing network monitoring, some config changes and other stuff. They are in the process of giving up quasi network engineering roles and work so changes are coming.

Personally I feel like I am not working up to my full potential. I would say I am pretty smart and I can usually pick things up quickly if I apply myself and I learn a lot from others as well. At every job I have worked at, my goal has been to find the best person there and be better than that person. I feel like a lot of the people at my job have become happy with just being in the noc (and that is ok), but as for me, I want more. I feel like the see the backs of the engineers here and I plan to get to that level.

Which brings me back to my studies, we have a lot of down time and I am not in school right now so I have plenty of time (usually) to study, so that is why I am after so much because when I go back to school, I won't be able to keep this pace up.

Why do you ask?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Artist's impression mikedisd2's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSE, CCNA, ITIL, Dipl.IT, 70-620, 70-647
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    Personally I feel like I am not working up to my full potential. I would say I am pretty smart and I can usually pick things up quickly if I apply myself and I learn a lot from others as well. At every job I have worked at, my goal has been to find the best person there and be better than that person. I feel like a lot of the people at my job have become happy with just being in the noc (and that is ok), but as for me, I want more. I feel like the see the backs of the engineers here and I plan to get to that level.
    That's a great attitude to have and I'm sure it will carry you far. Good luck.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member billscott92787's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, CCNA, CCNA: Wireless, C|EH, C|HFI, Cloud+, Masters - Information Security and Assurance, B.S. Networking and Comm. Mgmt.
    Paid Stuff: About 3 1/2 years. I have worked in Telephonic support (yuck!), Break Fix roles, and I am now currently working in a NOC doing network monitoring, some config changes and other stuff. They are in the process of giving up quasi network engineering roles and work so changes are coming.

Which brings me back to my studies, we have a lot of down time and I am not in school right now so I have plenty of time (usually) to study, so that is why I am after so much because when I go back to school, I won't be able to keep this pace up.

Why do you ask?

Man sounds like we are in the same boat here. I work in a NOC performing network monitoring. I don't do anymore phone support, I just got off the phone by going to all network monitoring. I was doing PKI, VPN stuff (install, fix, etc...) over the phone and Incident Management reporting. I got my CCNA back in October, passed the BCMSN December 3rd, taking BSCI January 25th, 2010. I am trying to get the CCNP because I have been doing a good job of picking this stuff up rather easily, which I am surprised. I know I am smart, but I can't apply any of the knowledge currently until I can get something fully in networking. Which I'm hoping the CCNP leads me to a networking opportunity within here or somewhere else in the area. Keep up your studies, and keep going on and you'll find something that makes you happy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billscott92787 View Post
    Man sounds like we are in the same boat here. I work in a NOC performing network monitoring. I don't do anymore phone support, I just got off the phone by going to all network monitoring. I was doing PKI, VPN stuff (install, fix, etc...) over the phone and Incident Management reporting. I got my CCNA back in October, passed the BCMSN December 3rd, taking BSCI January 25th, 2010. I am trying to get the CCNP because I have been doing a good job of picking this stuff up rather easily, which I am surprised. I know I am smart, but I can't apply any of the knowledge currently until I can get something fully in networking. Which I'm hoping the CCNP leads me to a networking opportunity within here or somewhere else in the area. Keep up your studies, and keep going on and you'll find something that makes you happy.
    You sound like you have been in the noc longer than I have but yea seems we share the same viewpoint. I have only been in here since September and I know that I have to move up, that is what makes me want to complete so many certs because the way I see it, all of the "2nd level" noc people are CCNAs and we have 1 CCNP. The only way I can make myself different is to A: Know more, B: Do more, and C: Be more.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CISSP, CEHv7, CCNA, Security+ 70-290, 70-291 CCNA:S
    Yes, that's right, know, make more and be more, takes some time but you can get it. Perseverance.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member BroadcastStorm's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP/CCNA: R&S | MCSE 2003 | MCTS | BSCS
    Are there alot of overlaps with CCNA: S and ISCW, if that is the case I might as well take both back 2 back.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadcastStorm View Post
    Are there alot of overlaps with CCNA: S and ISCW, if that is the case I might as well take both back 2 back.

I just picked up the ISCW and Lab manual from a friend. There is obviously a lot more on the ISCW than the CCNA:S but there is some overlap.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member
    Havent posted for a while. I got behind in my studies for the CCNA:S so I decided to push my test date back a week to Jan 23. I also made some big changes to my overall cert plan and cert direction for 2010. SInce I want to do so many different things, security has become an interest of mine so for the next year or 2 I plan to learn as much as I can about Network Security. I plan to lay my foundation by studying Cisco/Juniper/Checkpoint Router/Switch/Firewall/Vpn technologies. My next certs are listed my sig.

Getting back on topic I will finish the book probably today or tomorrow. I have started working in the lab manual and I will finish the first 2 to tonight.
    Next up, Identifying weak areas, CBT nuggets from the ISCW on IPSEC and SSL VPN, Transcender, and maybe reviewing some topics in exam cram.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Just focus in one exam and you will be covering more material very fast. In my case I want to go with Windows 7 after this to complete my MCSA and later linux but I know that if I begin to study for Windows 7 my CCNA:S will slooooooooooooow down.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by impelse View Post
    Just focus in one exam and you will be covering more material very fast. In my case I want to go with Windows 7 after this to complete my MCSA and later linux but I know that if I begin to study for Windows 7 my CCNA:S will slooooooooooooow down.
    The thing is, I need to get CCNA:S, L+, and S+ done before I go back to school (March). The Security+ Material so far is much easier than the CCNA:S for me to conceptualize.

After that I will just be focusing on 1 exam at a time. How far along are you with you studies?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I do not know how much time you study and how much exp you have in each technology, but if you dedicate the full time to one exam you could do it in 1 or 1.5 month/exam
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member
    I do not know how much time you study and how much exp you have in each technology, but if you dedicate the full time to one exam you could do it in 1 or 1.5 month/exam
    That might end up happening pretty soon. S+ seems like cake but CCNA:S has some tricky parts.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I feel that I am learning a lot with ccna:s. I study a looooooot Security+ because I fail it the first time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member
    I feel that I am learning a lot with ccna:s. I study a looooooot Security+ because I fail it the first time.

I am as well. I think that the ISCW chapters on ISCW talk about IPSEC VPNS are better than the CCNA:S book by far.

I finish the CCNA:S book a few days ago and I have been reading the ISCW cert guide for IPSEC stuff and I will read it for AAA, router hardening and other things (parts III and IV for those who have the book). I am listening to the CCNP ISCW nuggets as well. While at work I plan to read some RFCs on IPSec (probably overkill for the CCNA:S but this stuff is actually pretty interesting) and some other stuff.

Tonight I want to get through labs 2-3 and maybe 4 out of the lab manual. I also want to start spending more time in the SDM, making sure that I can do everything I see on the Objectives list and beyond. How are things going for you Impelse?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    That's right I feel I concentrated to much with cli, I need more SDM
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BCMSN CCNAS CCNAV CCNA
    Tonight I want to get through labs 2-3 and maybe 4 out of the lab manual. I also want to start spending more time in the SDM, making sure that I can do everything I see on the Objectives list and beyond. How are things going for you Impelse?
    Do you find the lab manual helpful? I never picked up a copy but I can imagine it would have helped a fair bit. I only did variations of the examples in the cert guide book when i labbed up.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luke_bibby View Post
    Do you find the lab manual helpful? I never picked up a copy but I can imagine it would have helped a fair bit. I only did variations of the examples in the cert guide book when i labbed up.
    I haven't got to far into them. I will put a write up on here in about a week (or a little less) and 1 right after I take the exam to let you know. So far, not really.....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    GCIA, GCIH, MCP, Net+, Sec+, CCNA, Proj+, A+, CIW, AESA, CCNA:Sec
    Good luck man! I'm about ready to get my certification run started for 2010. I think CCNA:S, CEH, GCIA, and maybe OSCP this year. Checkpoint has also been something I want to play with more.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    The Lab Manual is excelent, I am in chapter 4 and I am learning a lot, it's great.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member
    Test scheduled for Jan 30th 12:00pm
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA:Sec, CCNA, MCTS, MCP, Security+, Server+, A+
    Suhweet!!! Rock on my man! That gets me pumped up. I can't wait to get in the position to schedule my exam.
    Certs in Progress:
    CCNP:Routing 300-101 15%
    OIIIIIIIO
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Security, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCP, MCTS
    I'll let you know how mine goes. I'm scheduled for the 21st of Jan
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem2te View Post
    I'll let you know how mine goes. I'm scheduled for the 21st of Jan
    Good luck and please do.I really want to hear more experience about the exam. I don't know anyone personally who is going for or who has completed the exam. Any additional information about the exp would be helpful.

For the next few weeks I will be adding notes about the CCNA:S on my humble blog. knwminus' journey Hopefully I will cap this off at the end of the month with a "I passed" post and my notes will be helpful to someone.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks