+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Man of the People
    Quote Originally Posted by notgoing2fail View Post
    Glad you feel my pain. LOL.... I was finally able to get SDM to work on my WinXP. I was then able to get SDM to work on Win7 using the same java files that worked on the XP.

Thought I got lucky, only to find that when I click on the top buttons in SDM, the wording and icons disappear!!! It just seems horribly designed.... let alone, how many times it asks you to log in....

I feel the same way about switching. The concept seems so much easier. I think I am more of a switch guy than a routing guy. What you said about routing is spot on. Each protocol has it's own "rules" on how it functions, and it can get a little confusing. Which protocol has the dead timer? Which one has the hello timer? Some have hello timers but the default "seconds" are different....little things like that add up...

I would be more than happy to start my own little CCNP thread, of course there are a number of threads already in the CCNP forum, but again, I'd be more then glad to create one for anyone that just wants to follow along...

The CCNP forum doesn't have as much traffic as the CCNA unfortunately. It is probably true what they say, many who obtain the CCNA don't certify any further...

Although I do have the new CCNP track books, I am also waiting for the foundation books. The SWITCH one comes out in June. I can get started now as it'll take me a good month anyways to comprehend all the new SWITCH topics, then go back and read the foundation book when it comes out...

I'm sure you'll do fine in CCNP, this is where your investment in all that real world equipment is going to pay off hugely. What's your exact setup if you don't mind me asking?

You do need a layer 3 switch for the CCNP, on that, i'm positive. I have also heard it's adviseable to have 3 or 4 routers, preferring 4. I've done a lot of research on this myself and I'm just waiting on the funds to make it happen!

It's interesting that you're choosing to do Switching first but I understand why, because it's what you feel is easiest, most people choose to do Route first. Honestly I felt like what I learned in Routing made learning Switching easier, but I'm positive I could have learned what I did in Switch easily regardless.

Don't think of it or worry about any part of CCNP as being difficult, simply just read the material and do it, don't think of any of the material as difficult, and then it won't be. People tend to focus on how difficult something is rather than just focusing on learning it and doing it, if you don't pay any attention to how difficult it is then you just learn it a lot easier and better. Why? Because you don't think of it as difficult or easy, or in between, you just learn it and lab it. Since you don't know any better, you just focus on the material and not the degree of difficulty, that's probably how you've managed to come so far so fast.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Selfmade View Post
    Don't think of it or worry about any part of CCNP as being difficult, simply just read the material and do it, don't think of any of the material as difficult, and then it won't be. People tend to focus on how difficult something is rather than just focusing on learning it and doing it, if you don't pay any attention to how difficult it is then you just learn it a lot easier and better. Why? Because you don't think of it as difficult or easy, or in between, you just learn it and lab it. Since you don't know any better, you just focus on the material and not the degree of difficulty, that's probably how you've managed to come so far so fast.
    Extremely insightful! It goes very well with my quote too, "It's easy when you know how".

You're right, nothing really is all that difficult, just practice practice practice and most importantly get your fundamentals right. I am most definitely going to remember what you said....

Hopefully others can read and learn from this post as well....

What's your exact setup if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm a little switch heavy and will need to spend some $$ on more routers. I'm not entirely sure what routers I need yet so I'm just going to wait until I hit the ROUTE exam and find out.

For my routers I have: 1811, 3620, 1720, 2511, 2507 and 2501. Other than the 2511 which is my AS, the 2507/2501 are kinda useless. I know I can still do some scenarios with them, but they are quite limited, and IOS is old.

For my switches I have: (2) 3550's with PoE, (1) 2960G, (1) 2950, (1) 2924XL and (1) 2912XL. For the switch side, the 2900XL's switches are kinda useless as well.

And (1) PIX515e since I know there are still many networks out there that still use PIX......

If you are aware of what routers or even switches I may be lacking for CCNP, please let me know but that's pretty much all I have right now.

I hope that if I can pick up any new routers, they can also be used for other things like the CCNA:voice exam... it's kinda hard to think ahead and have all equipment covered that will cover all the various exams out there though....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Man of the People
    I'm at work and I'm almost done with my work but I want to give you a quick hit

LAN Switch Topologies for the New CCNP | NetworkWorld.com Community

that right there is an excellent start. I would read Wendell's blog as a whole if you find the time, he also has a website where you can look up what kind of topologies and equipment you need for X amount of money
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I'm at work and I'm almost done with my work but I want to give you a quick hit

LAN Switch Topologies for the New CCNP | NetworkWorld.com Community

that right there is an excellent start. I would read Wendell's blog as a whole if you find the time, he also has a website where you can look up what kind of topologies and equipment you need for X amount of money

Thank you! I'll take a look, not sure where in the world you are but here it's getting late so off to bed for me...

Have a quick gig tomorrow to fix some network issues at a doctor's office tomorrow and will hit the books once I get back....

Have a great evening....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Man of the People
    Thank you! I'll take a look, not sure where in the world you are but here it's getting late so off to bed for me...

Have a quick gig tomorrow to fix some network issues at a doctor's office tomorrow and will hit the books once I get back....

Have a great evening....
    in Arkansas, it's 9:40 here

CertSkills, LLC > Home

that's Wendell's site, he has some nice basic stuff on there, he just opened the site, but he has some useful info there, he's putting more and more up everyday.

this right here is what you really want

CCNP Build Lists
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA:Security
    I used Catherine Paquet's CCNA Security book, which is very well written.
    I also used CBT Nuggets CCNA Security and Trainsignal. That's about it.

The trainsignal is more thorough than CBT Nuggets but more dry, Jeremy at CBT Nuggets makes it fun...so it really depends on how much time you want to spend..

I spent about 5-6 weeks studying for this thing, and I put in a heck of a lot hours, about 10 hours a day. No weekends off...

you know from my CCNA studies and CCNA:S studies i do feel sometimes that a combination of CBT and Train Signal is enough to get through CCNA:S without ever referring to any book ,i.e if you see those videos 2-3 times and with some practise as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    passed
    Congratulations!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by logicmyfoot View Post
    you know from my CCNA studies and CCNA:S studies i do feel sometimes that a combination of CBT and Train Signal is enough to get through CCNA:S without ever referring to any book ,i.e if you see those videos 2-3 times and with some practise as well.
    They really are the two best 1-2 combos I think. I've tried preplogic back in the days but that's just audio so only good for commuting really. I do find that the book is more tertiary and used for lookup purposes since the videos don't cover as much detail. I had to watch the videos many many times over, it took awhile for some of the concepts to stick in my head....

I had the most difficulty with IPS....

in Arkansas, it's 9:40 here

CertSkills, LLC > Home

that's Wendell's site, he has some nice basic stuff on there, he just opened the site, but he has some useful info there, he's putting more and more up everyday.

this right here is what you really want

CCNP Build Lists
    Nice site. I like how he responds to user comments in Networkworld.com, it seems like I'm ok with what I have switch wise for the CCNP. With two 3550's I can do all the SVI/HSSRP/VRRP I'll need. And I can use my other 2950 and 2960 to make it 4 switches.

I'll bookmark the site and see if it ends up being a place I go to on a daily basis...we'll see how often he keeps it updated....

Quote Originally Posted by mikej412 View Post
    Congratulations!!

Thanks, I'm going to try to collect them all!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation, CCNP SWITCH,ROUTE, Zoology BSc,
    Congrate well done on the pass,

Deffently get in to the CCNP stuff it's great fun, Pleople say the switch stuff is boring but I am loving it. Maybe bacasue I focus more on the Switch side at work, But got most of the way through the CBT nuggets BSCI now and thats not looking to bad. ( I going to be taking SWITCH and ROUTE )

Lots of stuff to learn but its all made sence so far. CAn't wait to start dreaming up some big labs to play with.

CCNP is definitely something you should do. CCDA seems boring (to me), and I don't really see the point of it, it seems like Cisco is hawking it's own wares in "best practice design models" from what I've been reading on here.
    I only want my CCDA so I can take my CCDP, only one exam ontop the of CCNP and although I know it will be hevely slewed towards CISCO, I am hopng it will open my eyes to how otehr people do stuff. At the moment every thing I do is how I have figured it out right or wrong. So i think after my CCNP before I move on I will get this.

followed by what ever would benifit where I am working most at the time.

And once again well done, keep up the no fail rate
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilWAH View Post
    Congrate well done on the pass,

Deffently get in to the CCNP stuff it's great fun, Pleople say the switch stuff is boring but I am loving it. Maybe bacasue I focus more on the Switch side at work, But got most of the way through the CBT nuggets BSCI now and thats not looking to bad. ( I going to be taking SWITCH and ROUTE )

Lots of stuff to learn but its all made sence so far. CAn't wait to start dreaming up some big labs to play with.

I only want my CCDA so I can take my CCDP, only one exam ontop the of CCNP and although I know it will be hevely slewed towards CISCO, I am hopng it will open my eyes to how otehr people do stuff. At the moment every thing I do is how I have figured it out right or wrong. So i think after my CCNP before I move on I will get this.

followed by what ever would benifit where I am working most at the time.

And once again well done, keep up the no fail rate

Thanks, it does look like I will be leaning a bit torwards the CCNP route. I still have some routers to purchase and I'm going to make sure they are useful for the CCNA Voice so I can hit 2 birds with one stone.

So if I really want to save money in the long run, I better do some research now and get equipment that covers as many exams as possible....

I was thinking about the CCDA too, I think at this point, it just may be time to dive into the "professional" exams.....

I don't even know anyone right now that has passed the new tracks, so it would be kinda cool to be able to take the new exams and let you guys know how it goes.....

Quote Originally Posted by TrainSignalEric View Post
    Congrats!

Thanks for making some great videos. But you have to tell Chris to lighten up the mood a little....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCITP EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA, VCP 5, CCA, CCEE, CCIA, CCE-V
    Nice man congrads. This is my next route after this Sat. Any suggestions on the study material?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by thenjduke View Post
    Nice man congrads. This is my next route after this Sat. Any suggestions on the study material?

Just what I mentioned earlier.

CBT Nuggets
    Trainsignal
    And Catherine Paquet's CCNA Security book

And lots and lots of SDM time....half the time, trying to get it to work, the other learning...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:Voice, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA, CCENT, Security +, Network +, A+,CIW

CBT Nuggets
    Trainsignal

And lots and lots of SDM time....half the time, trying to get it to work, the other learning...
    I just started studying... actually I take that back. I'm almost finished studying for my CCNA Voice exam IIUC, and I did CBT Nuggets instead of my usual train-signal. I enjoyed Jeremy much more than I did Chris, and I feel like I retained much more of what was presented to me.

Whats your experience between the two? Do you have a preference?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Man of the People

CBT Nuggets
    Trainsignal

ugh, that last sentence in your post has me wanting to commit seppuku
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by chmorin View Post
    I just started studying... actually I take that back. I'm almost finished studying for my CCNA Voice exam IIUC, and I did CBT Nuggets instead of my usual train-signal. I enjoyed Jeremy much more than I did Chris, and I feel like I retained much more of what was presented to me.

Whats your experience between the two? Do you have a preference?

Good question. Here's the lowdown....at least between Jeremy and Chris.

Jeremy is very entertaining, and seems to have more energy. He likes to use outside examples to bring the viewer in. He'll talk about movies or whatever it takes to get his point across. His weakness is that he does leave things out, and isn't as thorough. Don't get me wrong though, he touches a lot of points and is very good, just be a little careful because he makes it so entertaining, he almost lulls you into thinking, "Heck, I can pass this test! Just using CBT!"

Now with Chris, he's a lot more dry. He has an accent, I think southern? It doesn't bother me at all but he sounds more like a school teacher. He's slightly better than Wendell Odom's videos. Wendell will knock you out real fast and put you into hybernation.

Chris has errors in his videos and he doesn't admit it. Most are just typographcial errors but he'll read them and not acknowledge them, this is what I mean by him being "dry" as well as his tone throughout his videos...

Jeremy will see his errors and make a big deal about it and let you know. There's more of a 2-way communicate feel with Jeremy's videos...

But back to Chris, he is more thorough, and like Jeremy, will go off on little tangents to talk about something that may NOT be on the test, but wants you to know it anyways for FYI purposes.

I've been using both of them side by side, now that I'm hitting the CCNP, neither of them, to my knowledge have done videos for the new track. In fact I don't think there are any materials out there other than the Cisco Press books for the new CCNP track.

So the best I can do is read the SWITCH book, and next month read the foundation book for SWITCH, and hope that CBT or Trainsignal can have updated videos by then....

ugh, that last sentence in your post has me wanting to commit seppuku

What is seppuku? LOL.....whatever it is, I know it's not good....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA Security. CCNA Voice
    Congrats!

All the sleepless nights paid off.

I see you had problems with IPS. I am trying to copy sigs to a GNS3 router (3725) but getting error 3 messages in my TFTP32 server... Maybe time for a new thread methinks...

Anyway, good luck on the next cert!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks