+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    273

    Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Voice.
    #1

    Default How desirable is the CCNA Security in the market?

    Well, somebody I have been doing small jobs asked me to get the CCNA security certification. It will be required by some jobs soon, now i will be given some money for books and will be reimbursed the exam fee.

    I was wondering how desirable is this certification in the job market. I did the CCNA Voice because seeing so many jobs requesting VoIP technicians I thought it was going to open doors. It didnt. Now I will get this one but I dont see many jobs offers requiring it in my country.

    I am ready to take both ROUTE and SWITCH exams and havent taken them because of time and budget constraints. Learning network security cant hurt, but I think the CCNA security by itself doesnt add to much value. Am I wrong?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,498

    Certifications
    CISSP, GXPN, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CEH, CNDA, CPT, Security+, Network+, A+
    #2
    Rough call. I haven't seen any job postings around here asking for it (DC/MD/VA); its usually CCNA or CCNP or CCIE or CCVP or CCSP and never the associate specialties. This is not to say employers don't take notice of your initiative. In terms of knowledge, it is nice to have it if you are dealing in a security capacity with Cisco devices. I may be completely off base but I see the CCNA:S as a baseline into security with Cisco and from there, if you find yourself getting deeper in MARS or ASA/PIX then the CCSP would be what you'd push for.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    111

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA Voice
    #3
    In US, Voice is pretty hot atm. I mean CCIE:Voice ...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. The Colosus of Clout Paul Boz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    2,607

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCDA, CCNA, CCNA Security, NSTISSI 4011, GSEC, GCFW, GCIH, GCIA
    #4
    The CCNA Security hasn't done anything for me but take up space on my resume. I didn't learn thing that wasn't already covered on the CCDP and CCNP tracks. I haven't seen it requested much and its relatively obscure. Cisco missed the boat with the "ccna-whatever" format rather than just calling it CCSA or something similar.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Boz View Post
    The CCNA Security hasn't done anything for me but take up space on my resume. I didn't learn thing that wasn't already covered on the CCDP and CCNP tracks. I haven't seen it requested much and its relatively obscure. Cisco missed the boat with the "ccna-whatever" format rather than just calling it CCSA or something similar.

    They probably didn't want to have to fight checkpoint over naming.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Cyber Ninja III rogue2shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,498

    Certifications
    CISSP, GXPN, OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CEH, CNDA, CPT, Security+, Network+, A+
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    They probably didn't want to have to fight checkpoint over naming.
    I hope they change the naming conventions at some point. I think most HR goons just see multiple "CCNAs" and assume "Hey, he/she got their CCNA" and thats it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. The Colosus of Clout Paul Boz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    2,607

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCDA, CCNA, CCNA Security, NSTISSI 4011, GSEC, GCFW, GCIH, GCIA
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    They probably didn't want to have to fight checkpoint over naming.
    I don't really care if its CCSA or something else. I think the specialty certs are watered down by tagging them with CCNA. It makes it seem like CCNA+ add-on modules.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    273

    Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Voice.
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Boz View Post
    I don't really care if its CCSA or something else. I think the specialty certs are watered down by tagging them with CCNA. It makes it seem like CCNA+ add-on modules.
    Yes, some people have asked me "what you mean by CCNA Voice?" They inmediately assume it's some kind of CCNA with SOME specialty in voice...they are not seeing it as a different new certifcation.

    I think those certifications are more for people looking to work in a Business Partner environment.

    The person who said it has nothing above the CCNP level mmust be talking about the retired CCNP curriculum with the ICSW exam, because i have studied extensively or the ROUTE and SWITCH exams, and read most of the CCNA security book and it has way, way more security material than that found in the new CCNP curriculum.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. The Colosus of Clout Paul Boz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    2,607

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCDA, CCNA, CCNA Security, NSTISSI 4011, GSEC, GCFW, GCIH, GCIA
    #9
    That's a disappointment. I did the older route and the ISCW was critical knowledge.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Member JaCkNiFe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    96

    Certifications
    CCIE R&S #49475, B.S. IT, CISSP, C|EH, CCNP, CCNA, MCITP:EA, A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+
    #10

    Default Perhaps CCSP is in your future?

    If you intend on pursuing the CCSP then the CCNA:Security is a good starting point being that it's a prerequisite* to the CCSP track. I am taking the CCNA:Security for this very reason.

    *There are other qualifying prerequisites.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Man of the People
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    268
    #11
    To be honest, I was wondering the same thing the OP does, but the way I've seen it for a while now, is that it's the stepping stone to CCSP, and that's how I'm going to look at it. You cannot really expect a HR person to know what CCNA Security is.

    Now if you say Security+, they might get that. I agree with Paul though, Cisco messed up with the speciality certifications, because they are not being requested, and it does not fill a need.

    That's what happens when you try to water down the CCNP, (not really but you know what I mean0
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Cisco Moderator mikej412's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,190

    Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    #12
    I like to think of the CCNA Specializations as the "snack packs" (CCNA:Security, CCNA:Voice, CCNA:Wireless). They can differentiate you from all the other plain common ordinary CCNAs out there looking for jobs -- or you can consider them a "sampler" to see if you like the subject area before you move on to the Professional Level Cisco Certifications (CCSP, CCVP, CCNP:Wireless) and hopefully gain some marketable skills.

    CCNP:Wireless Hum, sounds like just another CCNP add-on.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. DPG
    DPG is offline
    Senior Member DPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    758
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by mikej412 View Post
    I like to think of the CCNA Specializations as the "snack packs" (CCNA:Security, CCNA:Voice, CCNA:Wireless). They can differentiate you from all the other plain common ordinary CCNAs out there looking for jobs -- or you can consider them a "sampler" to see if you like the subject area before you move on to the Professional Level Cisco Certifications (CCSP, CCVP, CCNP:Wireless) and hopefully gain some marketable skills.

    CCNP:Wireless Hum, sounds like just another CCNP add-on.
    I agree. CCNA + CCNA specialization > CCNA.
    Last edited by DPG; 08-27-2010 at 01:23 AM.

    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. DPG
    DPG is offline
    Senior Member DPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    758
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Boz View Post
    I don't really care if its CCSA or something else. I think the specialty certs are watered down by tagging them with CCNA. It makes it seem like CCNA+ add-on modules.
    Maybe Cisco should call them CCNA blades.

    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member hypnotoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    915

    Certifications
    BS&MS-CompSci, CCNA, CCNP, Hyper-V, CCAI
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue2shadow View Post
    I hope they change the naming conventions at some point. I think most HR goons just see multiple "CCNAs" and assume "Hey, he/she got their CCNA" and thats it.
    Best. Post. Ever.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Sith Lord SephStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,706

    Certifications
    GPEN, GCIH, SFCP, CPT, CEH, QND
    #16
    *rant removed*
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. cisco noob fly351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    357

    Certifications
    CCNA, Net+, A+
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Boz View Post
    The CCNA Security hasn't done anything for me but take up space on my resume. I didn't learn thing that wasn't already covered on the CCDP and CCNP tracks. I haven't seen it requested much and its relatively obscure. Cisco missed the boat with the "ccna-whatever" format rather than just calling it CCSA or something similar.
    hahaha, well with your CCNP, CCIP, and CCDP, I'd say it hasn't done anything for you either
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue2shadow View Post
    I hope they change the naming conventions at some point. I think most HR goons just see multiple "CCNAs" and assume "Hey, he/she got their CCNA" and thats it.
    I haven't had this problem. People in my area know the difference between the CCNA and CCNA:Security. It isn't our responsibility to make them aware of the cert, only aware of the fact we have it. They should do a little research on some of the strange letters on someones resume. A quick google would solve that. They need to give a damn and put some effort into it just like we did when we completed the certs IMO.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    111

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA Voice
    #19
    IMO, they should come up with new names for CCNA:V,S,W

    Like CCVA, CCSA, and CCWA, just to clear the confusions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Man of the People
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    268
    #20
    so the general consensus is that CCNA Security is good for nothing more than filling up your resume and/or a stepping stone to the CCSP?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    190
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by DPG View Post
    I agree. CCNA + CCNA specialization > CCNA.
    exactly tellme if someone must pick between a ccna or a ccna + ccna security

    of course he would pick the guy with two certifications if you can get another cert get it isnt a bad thing
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    190
    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMR View Post
    Well, somebody I have been doing small jobs asked me to get the CCNA security certification. It will be required by some jobs soon, now i will be given some money for books and will be reimbursed the exam fee.

    I was wondering how desirable is this certification in the job market. I did the CCNA Voice because seeing so many jobs requesting VoIP technicians I thought it was going to open doors. It didnt. Now I will get this one but I dont see many jobs offers requiring it in my country.

    I am ready to take both ROUTE and SWITCH exams and havent taken them because of time and budget constraints. Learning network security cant hurt, but I think the CCNA security by itself doesnt add to much value. Am I wrong?
    tell me it was because you dont have any exp in the real world for Voice
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    273

    Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Voice.
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by gouki2005 View Post
    tell me it was because you dont have any exp in the real world for Voice
    Yes, I think that was the reason. I want to believe that's the reason.

    the job market is awful here. simply terrible. I've been unable to land any decent interviews and I have kept on studying. I havent taken the CCNP exams but I do list preparation for both ROUTE and SWITCH exam, and even a study guide I wrote for the SWITCH exam.

    My next certification will be CCNA Security because it was requested by somebody I do some works for, as I said. i hope it adds up. A dual CCIE who will join the team soon saw my resume and he said that I had to keep on pushing, and eventually somebody will consider and notice my efforts. I will keep on pushing, but in all honesty, it is really frustrating.

    I got my CCNA two years ago... I never thought it was going to be this difficult to get started in IT/Cisco networking.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Request timed out. *BB*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    95

    Certifications
    ITIL V3 Foundation, CCNA, CCNA:Security
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMR View Post
    A dual CCIE who will join the team soon saw my resume and he said that I had to keep on pushing, and eventually somebody will consider and notice my efforts. I will keep on pushing, but in all honesty, it is really frustrating.
    Dont know if it will help with being more desirable, but some of the stuff on this topic will help with the SWITCH studies.

    Keep pushing and people will notice. Its helped me get a new job in LAN engineering where I currently work. All the equipment I can now get my hands on puts my home lab to shame. My eyes popped out of my head when they showed me the lab they have. 3750's of every flavor floor to ceiling, 3845s/7206VXRs just sitting on shelves, tons of cards and modules. On Friday, I just found a pile of new Cisco wireless equipment sitting in boxes in the corner. I've still got to go through it but I asked my boss about it and she said open the stuff up and play with it if I wanted to. Uh, yeah, I do want to play with it!

    So keep on it and the payoff will come. Its only a matter of time.
    Last edited by *BB*; 09-12-2010 at 03:27 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Member Undy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    37
    #25
    Personally, I think it is silly naming convention. But a security position has opened up at my company and they love certs so after passing the BSCI 2 weeks before it was gone I am putting switch on hold to do security (hopefully) quick. The material seems like I should know this already, but I was surprised to find a lot of things that I had no clue about. Makes it worthwhile to do something different and learn things along the way. Even if it doesn't make me look like a champ on my resume.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks