+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 First 123 4567 ... Last

Certifications
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA, CCNA:Sec, GSEC, GCIH, GCFE
    Quote Originally Posted by sthompson86 View Post
    @YFZblu - Can you say whether or not the CCNA Sec 554 requires one to own an ASA for labs? I have done some reading, but really have not found a diffident black or white answer.

Thanks in adv.
    From what I've seen, one does not need to own an ASA appliace; however access to an ASA operating system via GNS3 is probably a good idea.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A.A.S Computer Technology, CCNA, CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by YFZblu View Post
    From what I've seen, one does not need to own an ASA appliace; however access to an ASA operating system via GNS3 is probably a good idea.

Thanks - GNS3 will be the way I go if needed. Have a good rest of the weekend.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSc (Hons) Computer Science, A+, Network+, Security+, DCSE, MCP, CCENT, CCNA.
    This is an excellent thread. +1 rep. I'm currently reading through all my ICND2 notes and will be taking it within the next few weeks. After I pass the ICND2 I'm going into either security or voice. The story changes every day for myself, but my work has the final say and they're paying for the exams. I'd like to go into Security, but it looks like they're going to push for the voice part. Though, I can't argue if they're going to pay
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks!

Update: Now that my wife works for a Cisco reseller, I may be able to get an ASA device at a pretty significant discount. We shall see!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSc (Hons) Computer Science, A+, Network+, Security+, DCSE, MCP, CCENT, CCNA.
    Chapter 7 looks like it has some ACS topics involved (13 pages, I counted!). Unfortunately I won't be able to lab ACS as it requires a commercial relationship with Cisco...Hopefully it won't be too terrible! It's still early in the day and I could move to chapter 7, but I think I'll review my notes from 1-6.
    Did you feel as though the book covered this topic enough to where you didn't need to lab this?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yeah, it wasn't bad. Once you understand the ACS frame work I think you'd be able to stumble through it on an exam. Just remember:

Network Device Groups: Groups of network devices with similar functions, managed by the same admins.
    Network Devices: Individual network devices that make up network devices groups.
    Identity Groups: Admins with similar job roles
    User Accounts: Make up the identity groups
    Authorization Profiles: These profiles control what rights are permitted. The profile is associated with a network devices group and an identity group.

This is all from chapter 7. Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    #Cisco: NA #CompTIA: A.N.S
    Thanks!

Update: Now that my wife works for a Cisco reseller, I may be able to get an ASA device at a pretty significant discount. We shall see!
    Perhaps provide discounts to all of the TE members - for educational use, obiviously.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Day 14

Chapter 13: Zone-Based Firewalls

Wow - I felt like I was drinking from a fire hose for two hours. Zone-based firewalls is definitely an interesting and new concept. Thankfully at this point Cisco has trained my brain to accept and saturate new concepts much easier than before I started studying Cisco. The text says we should focus in using CCP for ZBF, which is good because the syntax can get pretty hairy in CLI. Not that you shouldn't know the CLI of course.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I am to Chapter 4, but I see that Chapter 5 starts intro to CCP. I know this will involve some configuring etc. I am going to the Smoky Mountains for 2 weeks.. So I am going to put my studies on hold, for trying to do configs etc on Netbook especially when I am doing stuff for the first time ( CCP ) is not the way I want to go.

I will be carrying my flash cards though that I make after each chapter.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Day 15

I didn't do any reading, but I did set up my ASA device in GNS3. Looking forward to chapter 14 today!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by sthompson86 View Post

I will be carrying my flash cards though that I make after each chapter.
    Good idea
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Day 16

No progress: Rough week - I started the 'Insanity' workout on Monday, and it has taken a lot out of me. Hopefully back to the CCNA Sec grind today.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Day 16

No progress: Rough week - I started the 'Insanity' workout on Monday, and it has taken a lot out of me. Hopefully back to the CCNA Sec grind today.
    Insanity is crazy - I have done it. I am a runner so that's my main focus, but I do supplement some p90x in a few times a week. Insanity is just to craZy to supplement! Props for sticking with Insanity.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I don't know, I didn't get much out of insanity, now.. P90X+... that's what i'm talking about.

Staying on top: I just received my ccna security book :'D
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. CSIT; CompTIA A+, Network+; CCNA, DA; CCNP R&S; CCDP
    I love insanity I just recently finished it in preparation for Tough Mudder that I will be doing in September.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguetadhg View Post
    I don't know, I didn't get much out of insanity, now.. P90X+... that's what i'm talking about.

Staying on top: I just received my ccna security book :'D
    I've done both, and I actually find Insanity to be more difficult...smh, it totally derailed my studying for a week!

Back on board today.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by FloOz View Post
    I love insanity I just recently finished it in preparation for Tough Mudder that I will be doing in September.
    Oh the USMC thing they do? I've seen it advertised on a billboard near charleston. I've never attended that.

These are very short chapters, I'd say mini-chapters. I was looking at the number of chapters (21) and the average number of pages for the first 10 chapters chapter are 15 for a total of 151 theory pages. I didn't include exam prep, questions in the count.

It might be because I was reading OSPF in the FLG. So it just might -appear- small.
    Last edited by Roguetadhg; 08-27-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yeah the first several chapters are extremely short, you can probably knock them out in a day or two. Then I hit zone-based firewalls and wanted to throw my book out the window! You starting today?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yeppers. Excited, actually. At least I can get the theory down. Labs, that's a different issue. I'm not sure how to lab. I have a 3550 poe switch coming in the mail, but otherwise I don't have enough for a full lab. I have to dig again in threads/PMs/other to see if someone told me if I can setup ASA in GNS3. *shrugs*

I've been wanting to get into Voice as well. Someday schedule a JCNIA-JUNOS. So much to do! So little time. I'm going to try to knock out the first three chapters in one day, I think. Once I get things settled at work, i'll start.

Mmm. Crispy pages... >.> Can't hold my excitement!
    Last edited by Roguetadhg; 08-27-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I just got done with chapter 1. Studying Security+ before hand was the right thing to do. Im glad I took the time!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Junior Member Registered Member
    Great thread...I'm going through the book now too.
    I managed to get my hands on a copy of ACS4.3 and ACS5.2 (or similar) This weekend I'll make my chest wet and try to set up the 4.3 in a VM on my machine. The requirements for ACS 5.x are incredible: an ESX VM with minimal 8GB of RAM. I hope I get the old version setup on my PC and brief back to you guys.
    Together with that I'll have to see if I can get a working lab setup in GNS3. Anyone has that one worked out already?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ^ Jealous! All I've done so far in GNS3 is get my ASA device set up, and after my first pass through the book I'll probably do some labbing and get ASDM going between the device and my laptop.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I hate you both. So much.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Finally got through chapter 14: Configuring Basic Firewall Policies on Cisco ASA

Between this and Zone-Based Firewalls, I was pretty overwhelmed. LOL That's really all I have to say.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, Network+, CSE
    Blu, did you get my response to your PM? I think I am having an issue with them not sending, nothing is showing up in my sent folder. Sorry I would PM this to you but... well, yeah...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 First 123 4567 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks