+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    CISSP, CASP, CCNA R/S, CCNA Security, MCTS

Default CCNA Security: 794 / 1000

So close! Yet so far... I just scored 794 out of a possible 1000 on the 640-554 IINS exam. The passing mark was 804, so I missed it by one percentage point.

I used the Keith Barker / Scott Morris OCG as a study guide, supplemented with some Skillport online training modules (which were buggy, not particularly in-depth, and prone to typos). I ran into one or two questions on the exam which were not covered in the OCG - I just checked the index - but overall the book seemed to track along with the exam fairly well. I aced the simulations but fell short in some areas, notably Common Security Threats (duh!), Common Layer 2 Attacks (duh!), firewall technologies and IPS. I think I was overconfident in the first two domains I just listed and didn't really spend much time reviewing them... I just took CASP and CCNA R&S not long before that, so I figured I already understood security threats and VLANs. Well, I suppose not!

I have a week to cool my heels before re-attempting (and crushing!) the exam, which should be more than enough time to do a comprehensive review of the four domains on which I scored less than 80%. I underestimated this exam a little, and the $250 retest will be a reminder not to underestimate the Voice exam, which is coming up next on my programme.

Back to the books!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member mistabrumley89's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCDP, CCNP R&S, BCNP, CCDA, CCNA R&S/Sec/Voice, BCNE, ITIL:F, CCENT, A/L/N/S+, LPIC-1
    Sorry to hear that. Just smooth out your rough areas and you should be fine.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certified !!!
    Next week I will be looking to read PASSED on the Forum
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCWKIA (Cisco Certified Wannabe Know It All)
    It happens but I must ask, where is your focus? You mention wanting to do CCNA Voice next? What do you work with on a day to day basis?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I work as essentially the equivalent of a NOC manager in the military. We have some Cisco devices, but I don't get to work with the production stuff because if I did, I would be taking training opportunities away from the soldiers who actually need to be confident with configurations... so I am working on Packet Tracer and about to try and set up a GNS3 environment.

My long term focus is information security, so I took CASP and will be pursuing CISSP later this year, but in the meantime I feel like I need more knowledge of how the network operates at the device level in order to understand how to create and implement policies at the management level. Hence, CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, and Voice to get an introduction to unified communications. I don't plan on doing any more CCNA level tracks until I get enough experience with Cisco devices to work through the CCNP R/S track, and that will be a few years from now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    BSc Majoring in Networks and Security, National Diploma in ICT, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:S, ITIL:F
    Good luck on the re-test. Live and learn that's the motto
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Good news from tonight - I passed I wish I could see which ones I got wrong, as I was feeling pretty confident about all but one or two of them.

On to the next challenge!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Congratulations. Well done for quickly getting back on the horse and getting it passed!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, VCA-DCV, Linux+/LPIC-1, AWS CSA, AWS Dev, AWS SysOps, Project+ [Expired: Net+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA]
    Congratulations on the pass!!
    Goals for 2017:
    RHCSA, RHCE, LFCS: Ubuntu | Project+ | AWS Certified DevOps Engineer | Learn Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, Golang | Improve Python Programming
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCTS: Windows 7, CCENT, CCNA: R&S
    Congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCNA, CCENT, Project+, Security+, Network+, A+, Avaya AIPS and ACSS, ITIL Foundation (2011)
    Great job on the re-test!
    Congratulations!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    GPEN, GCIH, SFCP, CPT, CEH, QND
    congrats, i need to get back in my studies, but you know... SWTOR.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISA, CCNA, CCNA Security, CCNP, MCITP, MCSA 2012
    Congrats for passing the re-test.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Sec+, CCNA,BCNE,CASP, CCNA:Security,CCNA:DataCenter,CCNP:R&S
    congrats on the pass.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks