+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12

    Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, Server+, MCP XP, DCSE, HP ASP, CWTS, CCNA Security, MCTIP EDT, MCSA 2008
    #1
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,321

    Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CIW: Web Foundations; MCTS: Active Directory; MCP: 2000 Professional; CNA: NetWare 5; CompTIA A+
    #2
    Knew that was coming. Thankfully, Cisco gave 6 months warning this time around, so anyone who has already started should be able to finish by the deadline. I had been holding off deciding whether to go for the CCNP: Voice after I finish CCNA: Voice until they made an official announcement as to what was going to happen to CCNP and CCNA: Voice.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Canadian Cisco Wannabe
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    265

    Certifications
    Strata IT Fundamentals, MTA: OS, CompTIA A+
    #3
    So i assume there will be no more Cisco Voice certifications in the future? Dang....was hoping to take it after my CCNA R&S
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,321

    Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CIW: Web Foundations; MCTS: Active Directory; MCP: 2000 Professional; CNA: NetWare 5; CompTIA A+
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafe92014 View Post
    So i assume there will be no more Cisco Voice certifications in the future? Dang....was hoping to take it after my CCNA R&S
    They're changing "Voice" to "Collaboration", which is basically Voice + Video.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member bharvey92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    402

    Certifications
    CCNA R+S, CCNA:DC, CCNA Security, CCNP R+S, BEng Computer Networking
    #5
    Looks like they are changing the CCNA Voice to CCNA Collaboration which involves the 210-060 CICD exam and 210-065 CIVND exams. Not sure if I will take the exam before August. I know there is 6 months before it is retired but don't think I will rush this to beat another deadline (did this both for CCNA+CCNP).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    285
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by theodoxa View Post
    They're changing "Voice" to "Collaboration", which is basically Voice + Video.
    Exactly, and they are dropping the CCNA Video cert as well thus why they've made the CCNA Collab two exams (one voice, one video).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    285
    #7
    I'd try and get it done before it changes if I were you, that way you can just do ICOMM instead of doing CICD & CIVND.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Posts
    111

    Certifications
    A+,CCENT,CCNAR&S,CCNA Security,CCNA Voice,CCNP R&S,BCNE2012,HCNA,ITIL Foundations,BCNP, BAIS,VCA-DCV
    #8
    Lets say i did ccnp tshoot after the ccna voice exam changes would that give me the new ccna colab cert?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    285
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadakartel View Post
    Lets say i did ccnp tshoot after the ccna voice exam changes would that give me the new ccna colab cert?
    Short answer is no. TSHOOT has no bearing on it because it is not the same track and not only that, it is a professional level cert not an associate level (as the CCNA is). If you already have CCNA Voice and you want CCNA Collab then you can take CIVND and you will get the new cert.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    264

    Certifications
    CEH, VCP-DCV, CHFI, MCP, MCTS, LINUX+, LPIC-1, SUSE CLA, Network+, VCA-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-WM, B.A. Mathematics [] Expired: Sec+ CE, Net+ CE, DCSE
    #10
    About a year ago, they were retiring a legacy CCNA R/S exam and it became free. My question is: Will this CCNA Voice exam become free to take at a testing center as well?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member sucanushie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    158

    Certifications
    MCTS, Windows 7, MCITP: EDA Win7,CCNA Security,CCNA Voice, CCNP R&S
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaterNinja View Post
    About a year ago, they were retiring a legacy CCNA R/S exam and it became free. My question is: Will this CCNA Voice exam become free to take at a testing center as well?
    I don't recall a Cisco exam ever being free.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Senior Member JeanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,105

    Certifications
    CCNA, MCP, S+, N+, A+
    #12
    It makes sense to make a Collab exam, there are a LOT of video end points out there so it helps to understand Video . IMHO
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    264

    Certifications
    CEH, VCP-DCV, CHFI, MCP, MCTS, LINUX+, LPIC-1, SUSE CLA, Network+, VCA-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-WM, B.A. Mathematics [] Expired: Sec+ CE, Net+ CE, DCSE
    #13
    7 September 2013 640-802SA
    ok so it was a little over a year ago, but the above exam was free at pearson cisco...it was a internal google thread.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member ccnpninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tunisia, North Africa
    Posts
    983

    Certifications
    a few
    #14
    Cisco has to cope with the rapid change in the UC world.
    من طلب عزائم الأمور ، هان عليه بذل النفس فيها - محمد إبن ابي عامر
    www.keyboardbanger.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member SteveO86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,405

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNP: Security/Data Center, CCNA Wireless, CWNA, WCNA
    #15
    I always wondered what was going to happen to the CCNA: Video since it kind of sat there all by itself.

    I am kind of happy the CCNP: Collab is only 4x exams instead of the the 5x exams CCNP: Voice was.

    Kind of hoping the Wireless track gets an update now.. since it's also an aged track.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Norristown,, PA
    Posts
    454

    Certifications
    CCENT
    #16
    I am not sure I am correct but I am seeing a $100.00 drop in Cisco 2811's on Ebay. I am wondering if this is due to the CCNA voice being retired ?
    in addition, Since Cisco has decided they are changing CCNA Voice to "Collaboration" ,which is basically voice + Video I am wondering what the hardware requirements for a home lab are going to be ??

    Any thoughts ?
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

    Fats Domino
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Gosford, Australia
    Posts
    567

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCDA, CCNA:Voice(IIUC), CCNP:Voice
    #17
    We are seeing the same price drop on 2801/2811 in Australia, in some cases you can get them as low as AU$50...not due to any exams being retired, more likely due to End-Of-Life or equipment being retired from being leased.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,321

    Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CIW: Web Foundations; MCTS: Active Directory; MCP: 2000 Professional; CNA: NetWare 5; CompTIA A+
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by mgmguy1 View Post
    I am not sure I am correct but I am seeing a $100.00 drop in Cisco 2811's on Ebay. I am wondering if this is due to the CCNA voice being retired ?
    in addition, Since Cisco has decided they are changing CCNA Voice to "Collaboration" ,which is basically voice + Video I am wondering what the hardware requirements for a home lab are going to be ??

    Any thoughts ?
    The prices for ISRs (1800 and 2800) have been coming down for a while. They dropped substantially in 2013 and came down even more in 2014. I attribute this to companies upgrading to ISR G2s (1900, 2900, 3900 Series).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DMV
    Posts
    2,202

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCNP(V), S+ CCIE V(written)
    #19
    28xx are very old now. I havent deployed one since 2010 brand new. Its was all 29/39xx routers. Now I'm deploying the newer 4xxx series routers. The 29/39 won't be going end of life soon, but its coming.
    Currently Reading

    CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Norristown,, PA
    Posts
    454

    Certifications
    CCENT
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by shodown View Post
    28xx are very old now. I havent deployed one since 2010 brand new. Its was all 29/39xx routers. Now I'm deploying the newer 4xxx series routers. The 29/39 won't be going end of life soon, but its coming.
    Shodown, while I think it's cool you have experience with newer Cisco equipment. I did an E-bay search for a 2901 Cisco voice router. The cheapest I have seen is $920.00 dollars. My concern is once I finish my CCNA studies I want to go into CCNA voice and I am worried that the lab equipment for this new certification may be out of my price point. In addition , I am hoping someone will post something here soon in regards to this issue and provide some guidance for those of us who want to build a home lab for future certifications while sticking to a budget and not use GNS3.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

    Fats Domino
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7
    #21
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Norristown,, PA
    Posts
    454

    Certifications
    CCENT
    #22
    Thank you.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

    Fats Domino
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,321

    Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CIW: Web Foundations; MCTS: Active Directory; MCP: 2000 Professional; CNA: NetWare 5; CompTIA A+
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by mgmguy1 View Post
    Shodown, while I think it's cool you have experience with newer Cisco equipment. I did an E-bay search for a 2901 Cisco voice router. The cheapest I have seen is $920.00 dollars. My concern is once I finish my CCNA studies I want to go into CCNA voice and I am worried that the lab equipment for this new certification may be out of my price point. In addition , I am hoping someone will post something here soon in regards to this issue and provide some guidance for those of us who want to build a home lab for future certifications while sticking to a budget and not use GNS3.
    Cisco 1921 -- $495 (Cisco 1921 | eBay)
    Cisco 2901 -- $675 (Cisco 2901 | eBay)

    The real problem with the ISR G2s is not so much the price (though, they are expensive), but the licensing. The UC license which is required to enable the voice features costs more than the router. If you need the Data or Security (VPN) licenses also, the price has just tripled from the base cost of the router.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Norristown,, PA
    Posts
    454

    Certifications
    CCENT
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by theodoxa View Post
    Cisco 1921 -- $495 (Cisco 1921 | eBay)
    Cisco 2901 -- $675 (Cisco 2901 | eBay)

    The real problem with the ISR G2s is not so much the price (though, they are expensive), but the licensing. The UC license which is required to enable the voice features costs more than the router. If you need the Data or Security (VPN) licenses also, the price has just tripled from the base cost of the router.

    Yep ,this makes adding any ISR G2 equipment to my home lab not feasible for my-self and others with the current price structure. I am still going to go ahead and get a cisco 2811 as planned but after I have my CCNA certification I may switch to a different certification to improve my skill set while I await to see what cisco does with their business model as it relates to equipment and training.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

    Fats Domino
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DMV
    Posts
    2,202

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCNP(V), S+ CCIE V(written)
    #25
    I understand your pain and frustration. When i started purchasing 28xx routers and 3550/3560 switches I was paying close to 1K sometimes for each device(back in 200. I wasn't making much money back then, so i put some on credit cards and saved up for the others. Then moved onto new jobs when I got the certs or even moved to a new state. Sacrifice is going to be a part of this journey.

    As far as GNS3 you will only be able to do SIP trunks as GNS3 can't emulate the TDM connections or DSP's so you will miss out on a lot of things you need to know. But if you know nothing its a good start.


    The good news is that is that you can build a very decent lab with 28xx series routers, You will be able to do the majority of things you need to do with a 28xx series. I imagine when the new CCNP Collaboration comes out a 29xx will be needed for a lot of the newer features.


    To answer your questions about how cisco deals with its business structure you(certified people) not a huge priority. Pushing product, selling smart net, and kicking brocade, juniper and arista in the nuts everyday is what cisco goals are
    Last edited by shodown; 02-27-2015 at 05:33 PM.
    Currently Reading

    CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks