+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    266

    Certifications
    Diploma in Network Administration, A+, Net+, Convergence+, Avaya ACA IP Telephony and ACIS SME Comm, Cisco CCENT, CCNA R&S, Voice IIUC, and Security
    #1

    Default Best router for voice lab?

    I currently have use of a cisco 1811 router/switch for training and am looking forward to a ccna voice cert. With cost as the main factor what the cheapest solution I could add to be able to use CME ?

    thanks!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member ColbyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,262

    Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    #2
    2600XMs are probably your cheapest CME capable routers. You could look at the 1751 also.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Cantankerous Old Fart hermeszdata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    225

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA:Voice (Ent) AdTran ATSA Internetworking
    #3

    Default CME Capable Routers

    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyNA View Post
    2600XMs are probably your cheapest CME capable routers. You could look at the 1751 also.
    Other possibilities are the 1760s and 3640s. Talke a look on eBay. I have seen 1760s loaded with CME 4.1 for as low as $80 (sometimes with free shipping depending on your location.) 3640s with CME 3.* from $100

    John
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    411

    Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Security, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCP, MCTS
    #4
    I give my vote for the 1760. Useful router and once you've added a pdvm/dsp it will accept all 1st generation voice cards, it takes a while to boot though. The 2600xm series require addidtional network modules and not all network modules accept all voice cards.

    My money no object vote goes to the 2801.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Cisco Moderator mikej412's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,190

    Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem2te View Post
    My money no object vote goes to the 2801.
    If money is no object, then for voice I'd take at least a couple 2811 routers pimped out for voice use.

    If you're going to run Unity Express, then the AIM Module in the 265xXM along with CME 4.x may be your best bet reasonable cost option.

    You also might find a cheap NM-CUE -- but you have to read the fine print and make sure it comes with the hard drive

    If you're going to skip Unity Express, then the 1760 is the Cheapest good voice option.

    Remember that the CCNA:Voice exam is testing on the new UC520s

    In my home voice lab I've got a herd of old MC3810s, a pack of 1760s upgraded for voice, and a gaggle of 2650 and 265xXM routers, and a spare 3640 which provides adult supervision and access to the home network and rest areas of my home Cisco Lab.

    You have to poke through the individual Version Docs on the CME and IOS Software Compatibility Matrix to find out what hardware is supported by which CME version -- Cisco Unified CME and Cisco IOS Software Version Compatibility Matrix [Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express] - Cisco Systems
    Last edited by mikej412; 01-09-2010 at 06:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,654

    Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mikej412 View Post
    If money is no object, then for voice I'd take at least a couple 2811 routers pimped out for voice use.

    If you're going to run Unity Express, then the AIM Module in the 265xXM along with CME 4.x may be your best bet reasonable cost option.

    You also might find a cheap NM-CUE -- but you have to read the fine print and make sure it comes with the hard drive

    If you're going to skip Unity Express, then the 1760 is the Cheapest good voice option.

    Remember that the CCNA:Voice exam is testing on the new UC520s

    In my home voice lab I've got a herd of old MC3810s, a pack of 1760s upgraded for voice, and a gaggle of 2650 and 265xXM routers, and a spare 3640 which provides adult supervision and access to the home network and rest areas of my home Cisco Lab.

    You have to poke through the individual Version Docs on the CME and IOS Software Compatibility Matrix to find out what hardware is supported by which CME version -- Cisco Unified CME and Cisco IOS Software Version Compatibility Matrix [Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express] - Cisco Systems
    WOW! Mike, I want to see a picture of your home network, it has to be incredible!
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Cisco Moderator mikej412's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,190

    Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by veritas_libertas View Post
    WOW! Mike, I want to see a picture of your home network, it has to be incredible!
    I run a free range home lab -- so it's hard to get all the devices together in one spot at the same time. And even then the Cisco devices will pick on the vastly outnumbered Juniper devices and things get out of hand faster than a Hatfield/McCoy wedding.

    I'll probably take a picture or two some day -- but time spent on photo ops is time spent not studying for the CCIE Lab, and work already has a monopoly on non-study time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,654

    Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mikej412 View Post
    I run a free range home lab -- so it's hard to get all the devices together in one spot at the same time.

    I'll probably take a picture or two some day -- but time spent on photo ops is time spent not studying for the CCIE Lab, and work already has a monopoly on non-study time.
    Nice...

    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    266

    Certifications
    Diploma in Network Administration, A+, Net+, Convergence+, Avaya ACA IP Telephony and ACIS SME Comm, Cisco CCENT, CCNA R&S, Voice IIUC, and Security
    #9
    Cool thanks for the info everyone....

    I think I'm going to purchase a cheap 2600 router with two 10/100 ethernet ports for my main internet connection and use either a 1760 or 26XX for the cme. From looking on ebay I should be able to pick up a 2600 for about 50 bucks shipped and the cme router for maybe 100 ish.

    For a basic 2600 network/internet router is there anything I should avoid or try to obtain as far as features go?

    THANKS!
    Last edited by tha_dub; 01-10-2010 at 06:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Cisco Moderator mikej412's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,190

    Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by tha_dub View Post
    use either a 1760 or 26XX for the cme.
    If you go 26XX, make sure it's a 2600XM model. Check out the available 2650XM and 2651XM routers available -- people forget about those and bid up the prices on 261xXM and 262xXM instead. I got my 2651XM 256/48 routers for $99-125.

    Quote Originally Posted by tha_dub View Post
    For a basic 2600 network/internet router is there anything I should avoid or try to obtain as far as features go?
    If your router doesn't have the horsepower, you could slow down your internet connection. Check out the Router Performance PDF from the Cisco Partner Central Portable Product Sheets web page. That's also a good place to check for router memory, switch performance, IOS packaging information, etc... The router module cross reference PDF (NM/WIC/VWIC Compatibility) is my favorite.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    266

    Certifications
    Diploma in Network Administration, A+, Net+, Convergence+, Avaya ACA IP Telephony and ACIS SME Comm, Cisco CCENT, CCNA R&S, Voice IIUC, and Security
    #11
    Great thanks Mike


    That clears everything up. Currently got a bid on a 2611 for 50 bucks shipped! We'll see how that goes.

    I really liked the compatibility sheet... I was surprised at how cheap the XM routers are compared to what they are capable of.....

    I'll see if I can get a 2650 router so i can do the UE I have to see what the $$$$ are....

    Cheers!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks