+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Results 51 to 58 of 58
  1. Senior Member Cat5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    259

    Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, Security+
    #51
    Quote Originally Posted by azaghul View Post
    Unfortunately for the Voice track they are almost the same (just expansions on a theme), as you need some sort of lab setup with most of the trimmings to be able to perform ICOMM administration on.

    Here's my 2 cents worth of suggestions on possible setups, the server would need to be configured as appropriate with CPU/RAM/HDD.

    For a BASIC CCNA:Voice setup:
    1 x HQ router (CUE optional)
    1 x ESXi server w/CUCM, CUCx, CUPS, Win XP (for each IP Communicator instance)
    + IP Communicator, VIC/VWIC cards as required

    For a PRACTICAL CCNA:Voice setup:
    1 x HQ router (CUE optional)
    1 x PSTN router
    1 x PoE switch if using handsets
    1 x ESXi server w/CUCM, CUCx, CUPS, Active Directory Server, Win XP (for each IP Communicator instance)
    + handsets/IP Communicator, WIC/HWIC & VIC/VWIC cards

    For a FULL CCNP/CCIE:Voice setup:
    1 x HQ router
    2 x Branch routers (with CUE on one)
    1 x PSTN router
    1 x PoE switch
    1 x ESXi server w/CUCM, CUCx, CUPS, Active Directory Server
    + handsets, WIC/HWIC & VIC/VWIC cards
    So I'm curious how long it took you to get your CCNP:Voice cert? Were you already working with voice when you started the track?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member draught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    165

    Certifications
    CCNA R&S, CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
    #52
    Researching what I need to set up a Voice lab has been a challenge.

    To be clear for a basic set up I'd need a 2811 router. My plan to save money is to is add the PVDM module and VWIC2 myself over buying a kit.

    My question though is for the second router what can I get away with there? Will a 2600 suffice and is that going to also need a PVDM module?

    HQ and PSTN routers entail what hardware requirements by the way? I just don't want to accidentally buy the wrong equipment.

    I'm hoping I can get by with two routers here as the cost for this is looking quite high.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Gosford, Australia
    Posts
    567

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCDA, CCNA:Voice(IIUC), CCNP:Voice
    #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat5 View Post
    So I'm curious how long it took you to get your CCNP:Voice cert? Were you already working with voice when you started the track?
    It took me the full 3 years to complete, life & work commitments changed the original plan (ie: no work, then working away for 15 months without equipment).

    I previously worked in the traditional voice area (15+ years) and saw CCNP:Voice as the natural progression...have not worked in Cisco voice at all, but I decided something started should be completed...now if I had my time over, I would have done things differently,l but then hindsight is always 20/20.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Gosford, Australia
    Posts
    567

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCDA, CCNA:Voice(IIUC), CCNP:Voice
    #54
    Quote Originally Posted by draught View Post
    Researching what I need to set up a Voice lab has been a challenge.

    To be clear for a basic set up I'd need a 2811 router. My plan to save money is to is add the PVDM module and VWIC2 myself over buying a kit.

    My question though is for the second router what can I get away with there? Will a 2600 suffice and is that going to also need a PVDM module?

    HQ and PSTN routers entail what hardware requirements by the way? I just don't want to accidentally buy the wrong equipment.

    I'm hoping I can get by with two routers here as the cost for this is looking quite high.
    HQ is a 2851: WIC-2T, VWIC2-1MFT-E1/T1, VIC-FXS/DID, VIC2-4FXO, PVDM2-64 (leaves enough for transcoding/conferencing without changing the setup)

    PSTN is a 3725: running CME v4.1 and a 7960/7914 as the PSTN phone, with multiple E1/T1's and an AIM-VOICE30 (DSP plug-in) to support the voice side of things, and WIC-2T's for cover off the frame-relay data network. Most of us use legacy hardware for the PSTN/data backbone and the 3700 series gives room for growth.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member draught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    165

    Certifications
    CCNA R&S, CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
    #55
    Quote Originally Posted by azaghul View Post
    HQ is a 2851: WIC-2T, VWIC2-1MFT-E1/T1, VIC-FXS/DID, VIC2-4FXO, PVDM2-64 (leaves enough for transcoding/conferencing without changing the setup)

    PSTN is a 3725: running CME v4.1 and a 7960/7914 as the PSTN phone, with multiple E1/T1's and an AIM-VOICE30 (DSP plug-in) to support the voice side of things, and WIC-2T's for cover off the frame-relay data network. Most of us use legacy hardware for the PSTN/data backbone and the 3700 series gives room for growth.
    I have a 2811 in the mail. I bought VWIC2-1MFT-E1/T1 module and a PVDM2-64 module as well. Also a VC2-2FXO and VIC-2FXS. The phones I have are 7960 CP-7960G with a 3550 inline switch.

    My budget is nearly broken at this point. Looking at the lab book I don't see many labs that require that second router but there is a voice requirement, what does that entail exactly? Would I be able to get by with my cheaper 2600 that I already own? Sounds like I'm going to need to look into getting one more router.

    Does what I have so far sound good? Researching the equipment has been half the work so far. It's going to fun actually setting up the lab, can't wait. Glad I have a great PC that easy handle the virtualization requirements.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Gosford, Australia
    Posts
    567

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCDA, CCNA:Voice(IIUC), CCNP:Voice
    #56
    Quote Originally Posted by draught View Post
    I have a 2811 in the mail. I bought VWIC2-1MFT-E1/T1 module and a PVDM2-64 module as well. Also a VC2-2FXO and VIC-2FXS. The phones I have are 7960 CP-7960G with a 3550 inline switch.

    My budget is nearly broken at this point. Looking at the lab book I don't see many labs that require that second router but there is a voice requirement, what does that entail exactly? Would I be able to get by with my cheaper 2600 that I already own? Sounds like I'm going to need to look into getting one more router.

    Does what I have so far sound good? Researching the equipment has been half the work so far. It's going to fun actually setting up the lab, can't wait. Glad I have a great PC that easy handle the virtualization requirements.
    Yeah, the cost of a voice lab can be daunting. But depending on what/how many tracks you intend to pursue at the CCNP level, it becomes up-sizing the existing lab.

    The 2811 with all the trimmings you have will be ideal to practice the concepts for CCNA:Voice, adding CUE would be a bonus, but the cost unfortunately outweighs the benefits.

    The PSTN router with associated E1/T1 & serial interfaces is handy for placing VoIP and TDM calls in/out of the 2811 to simulate the real world. But you could just use your 2600 and just place VoIP calls in/out by adding IP Communicator as a IP phone replacement.

    With the Lab Book second router/voice requirement, which Lab (where in the book) are referring to? Might be able to give a better answer then.

    Researching is 1/2 the fun, just consider it practice for consulting!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member draught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    165

    Certifications
    CCNA R&S, CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
    #57
    While I think I just might have a shot at a junior voice engineer position possibly. If I can get my CCNA Voice so chances are I'll be going further down the Voice track if all goes well.

    I'm using the ciscopress voice lab manual. I'll include a photo (I like real books over kindle) as an example of what I mean.




    The requirement I'm reading is two routers with voice IOS. What are the requirements to have voice IOS on a router? I'm thinking it's probably best to just get another 2811? Do I need to worry about memory upgrades or anything like that by the way? My understanding is the PVDM module is what's important not flash memory. Not surprised the ebay kits would be mostly ripoffs.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by draught; 10-13-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Gosford, Australia
    Posts
    567

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCDA, CCNA:Voice(IIUC), CCNP:Voice
    #58
    For voice IOS on a router, you would usually look at the feature sets: ipvoice, advipservices and adventerprise (I usually just use adventerprisek9 as it covers just about everything)

    Added to that are:
    • sufficient compact flash to hold the IOS and CUCME (512MB/1GB should future-proof you)
    • enough DRAM memory for that feature set and version (the Cisco feature navigator is the best place to look Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems or just max it out)
    • enough PVDM/DSPs to cover off any FXO, FXS, E1/T1 ports (2-3 E1/T1 channels configured will do)

    So both routers in the Figure 6-10 would need a voice capable IOS, and enough PVDM/DSPs for the E1/T1s (though you'd probably need more for other labs). For a Lab PSTN router a PVDM2-8 or 16 ample.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks