+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, CCNA Voice, CCNA Collaboration

Default 2014 Lab for CCNA Voice and Beyond

Hello everyone!

I am planning on taking the CCNA Voice exam this summer or fall and I was going through the checklist as I want to have a physical lab for practice. I also want to go further down the voice path and also R&S. I need your input if the below hardware will be sufficient for my studies including for the CCNP R&S.

3 x 2811 routers each with 256Mb RAM & 128Mb flash and as far as cards/modules go: 3 x VWIC2-1MFT-T1, 3 x PVDM2-16, 3 x WIC-2T
    2 x 3550 switches
    2-3 x 7960 phones

With regards to the CCNP, I think the ammount of equipment is not sufficient, but I can always purchase more routers and switches if needed.

Currently, my plan is to take the CCNA Voice, then CCNP Voice followed by CCNP R&S (not a priority at the moment). I also have an ATA lying around so I guess I will forget the FXO/FXS cards at least for now (I also work for a VoIP carrier and I have access to SIP trunks for testing).

Now we get to the server that will house the ESXi VMs. I was browsing through the offers and found several Intel Xeons such a QuadCore x3220 2400 MHz, FSB 1066 with 8 GB of DDR2 memory and 2 x 160Gb SATA-II. I would up the RAM to 16Gb (or 32Gb if really needed) and add a 1Tb HDD. Would this suffice for having CUCM, Unity, Presence, the whole shebang?

Thank you very much for your assistance!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNA: V, R&S
    Looking at the equipment listed, that would be a good start. Similar to what I am using, and I am in the same boat looking for a server. I would look for a little faster CPU, and 16gb as a minimum. Best of luck with your studies, I am chasing the same dream!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member

Certifications
    Thank you wgroom for the reply and good luck to you too with regards to your studies!

I found an ad for an 8-core Fujitsu Siemens Primergy RX200

Would the 2Ghz clock speed be THAT important? After all, it has 8 cores that I can redistribute as needed. The RAM and storage can be upgraded and I'm considering biting the bullet as the rest of the servers can get mighty expensive
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA: V, R&S
    I am pretty sure when the Cisco ISOs load, they run a hardware check, and if the memory and CPU speed are not adequate install will fail. As well, if you intend to upgrade down the road to a newer CUCM / CUCx / CUPS software release you will be inhibited by the CPU. I am expecting to spend around $600 for a compatible server to host the Cisco servers on an ESXi base. 2.66 to 3.0 ghz, minimum 16 gb RAM, and at least 2 tb of HDD.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member

Certifications
    After a bit more thought, I will go with a custom server hosting either an Intel i5 3350P or an i7 920 / 2600 with 16Gb of RAM. I find it easier to upgrade the components if needed and can find a lot of options, not to mention less noise and power consumption which is always a plus.

All that remains is purchasing the networking equipment itself.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks