+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    CCNP, CCSP, CISSP, MCSE

Default CCNP Wireless resources

Dayum, the cupboard at Cisco looks pretty bare for this one.

CiscoPress has nothing for the CUWSS, and Amazon has one offering:

Amazon.com: CUWSS

Any of you wireless techies got suggestions?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    SilentBreakSecurity - DarkSideOps, CISSP, CCDP, CCNP R/S, CCNP Security (Secure, FW) , C|EH , PA ACE
    Yeah unfortunately cisco is losing the battle for the wireless certs recognition. The last thing you want to do is get into the wireless cert battle and not have a dedicated series for your exam. Pretty lame on cisco's part and the entire wireless section's management overseeing the exams. Sorry dudes but you failed on this attempt, should we wait another 3 to 4 years before you bring out official study material? Ala CCSP?

Grant it cisco press does have a lot of books on the subject matter, however you have to go piece topics with various books and online pdf from cisco. Still very lame and unorganized.

Yeah I said it!.....WHAT?!
    2017 Goals: Dark Side OPS: Custom Pentesting (complete), eCPPT (in progress), LFCS (in progress), OSCP (Ah next year...)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNP: Security/Data Center, CCNA Wireless, CWNA, WCNA
    I am contemplating getting this cert maybe later this year.. and those are the only books I found relevant to the material.. No official cert guides like the other tests...

I'll probably go for CWNA prior to CCNP: Wireless.. CWNA just seems more worth while for me.. since I've been working Cisco WLC's, LWAP's for a few years now.

Cisco Wireless material doesn't cover as much as the RF and 802.11 standards as the CWNP group does.. and to be honest I've found that more useful.

Plus I haven't really seen any demand for a CCNP: Wireless professional.. Maybe another 2-3 years down the road people will start asking for it.

Also this book for Wireless N Networks
    http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Depl...=AG56TWVU5XWC2
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Cisco R00t Clan Member NOC-Ninja's Avatar

Certifications
    CCIE-Wireless, CCIE-RS (written), CCNP-Wireless, CCNP, CCNA-Wireless, CCNA-Security, CCNA, CEH, CHFI
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
    I am contemplating getting this cert maybe later this year.. and those are the only books I found relevant to the material.. No official cert guides like the other tests...

I'll probably go for CWNA prior to CCNP: Wireless.. CWNA just seems more worth while for me.. since I've been working Cisco WLC's, LWAP's for a few years now.

Cisco Wireless material doesn't cover as much as the RF and 802.11 standards as the CWNP group does.. and to be honest I've found that more useful.

Plus I haven't really seen any demand for a CCNP: Wireless professional.. Maybe another 2-3 years down the road people will start asking for it.

Also this book for Wireless N Networks
    Amazon.com: Designing and Deploying 802.11n Wireless Networks eBook: Jim Geier: Kindle Store
    you need more than WLC's and LWAP's to pass the test. i dont know if theres no demand but Ive been getting emails from contractors for a wireless job and they offer 120k-150k.
    MSISA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCSP, CISSP, MCSE
    Thanks guys... some good stuff in there.

I think you're right... I'll start with the CWNA. Seems like a prudent choice.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNP: Security/Data Center, CCNA Wireless, CWNA, WCNA
    Quote Originally Posted by NOC-Ninja View Post
    you need more than WLC's and LWAP's to pass the test. i dont know if theres no demand but Ive been getting emails from contractors for a wireless job and they offer 120k-150k.
    Maybe I haven't looked hard enough for Wireless type jobs.

I looked over the syllabus, and they also mention:

VoIP of the WLAN
    Multicast
    Security - ACS/RADIUS
    Site Survey - Spectrum Expert/Clearn Air? with WCS
    WCS Navigator
    Cisco MSE
    Mesh AP's

I know it probably covers more then that, but how was your experience with the exams?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Re-birthing an old thread....

I just changed jobs where wireless is basically the primary means of network connectivity in the company. This is very different world for me as I am used to much larger corporate environment that hard wired everything into the network (although we did have a large wireless infra we didn't rely on it as the primary means of connectivity in the network).

So that being said I am trying to brush up on it as quickly as possible. I have some familiarity from my previous job as I worked on Prime / WCS / WLCs, pushing code to WAPs, etc. However that was once in a blue moon where I would actually have to troubleshoot something. My new job requires a VERY strong familiarity with wireless so I need to go into a much deeper level of understanding.

That said... it seems this track is not a huge one Cisco has kept up with. So I want to pick up a book or two. I already starting doing video training via CBT, etc. What are the best current materials I can focus on?

Seems this one might be a bit of an oldie but possibly still a goldie...
    Amazon.com: Deploying and Troubleshooting Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers (9781587058141): Mark L. Gress, Lee Johnson: Books
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks