+ Reply to Thread

Question How do i segregate 2.4 and 5.0Ghz traffic into guest and corp lans?

im back at it!! Still cant figure out the WLC web interface...i'm 3 books deep and i have more questions than before. Maybe someone can help. heres what i'd like to do:

at site 1:
    create a guest lan using b/g/n 2.4 that our physicians etc can use that is internet only.
    create an a/n 5.0 for our exam rooms and ECG etc equip that is on our internal Lan (No SSID broadcast)

now, i see that i need to create dynamic interfaces (ex: guest and corp_wlan)... do i assign a vlan, ip's and port to each interface? then physically cable from that port to an open port on our switch? and does that port selection mean i do not need to set up trunking on that switch port? i know i will need it on our router as a subinterface, but thats not a big deal.

how do i add only the b/g/n 2.4 to a particular (guest) interface?
    and the a/n 5.0 to the corp_wlan interface?

part 2 of this:

we have 2 locations and the AP's are running HREAP at location 2. would i have to have both vlans defined over there if they are connecting back or would i be able to manage them (the AP's) from site 1 and use the network at site 2 for their internet and server etc access?

i hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by tdean; 06-20-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNA:S/W, CCNA, CCENT, MCSA, A+, N+, S+, ITIL V3
    I am working on something similar right now also......
    do i assign a vlan, ip's and port to each interface?
    Each dynamic interface corresponds to a separate vlan on your switched network. It will need the vlan number and ip addressing info on the WLC that corresponds to your switch vlan setup. I used only a single port for all vlans though. I used the link from WLC to core as a trunk with the core switch doing L3 routing. When you create the WLAN (SSID), you have the choice of how to set the frequency. --(All, A only, G only, etc.)

Verify that all of your internal LAN equipment is 5Ghz compatible. This is an issue we did not foresee with a lot of laptops being b/g/n only, they cannot see the 5Ghz WLAN.

I have not gotten into using HREAP yet, so I am afraid I cannot speak to part 2.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Hi Geek, i had given up on this thread, glad to see someone else out there is using this stuff. There was a guy Steve that was around but looks like a lack of activity may have scared him off.

anyway, i think i figured out what you mention above, creating separate dynamic interfaces etc. Sounds like you have a L3 switch so that makes it easier, i have a router on a stick scenario at both of our locations. what i think i need to do is make the port on the switch FROM the WLC a trunk and the port between the router and switch a trunk. i created the guest wlan and am going to have it do its own dhcp... in fact i want the WLC to do the dhcp for anything wireless.

the HReap thing wasnt a problem, i just set them up with IP's in the other subnet while they were hooked up on the subnet the WLC is on, then i physically transferred them. not sure if that right or not, now i think when i do this right, i will have to create the vlans, subinterfaces etc and an AP group.

Let me know how your project is going. I will check here more frequently. Also if you happen to find any good resources.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA:S/W, CCNA, CCENT, MCSA, A+, N+, S+, ITIL V3
    Yes, all layer 3 switches actually. I am routing at the access layer for this network.
    Sounds like my major project is on hold though. I work for a college and we cannot expect the student body to go buy new laptops just because we want to move them to 5 Ghz. I guess I will be running two physically separate wireless networks for a few years until we can migrate everyone.
    I see that you took the CCNA:W exam. What did you think of it? I was leaning toward that, but see they have since come out with a new version. Have you had any interest from potential employers because of the cert?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by Geek1969 View Post
    Yes, all layer 3 switches actually. I am routing at the access layer for this network.
    Sounds like my major project is on hold though. I work for a college and we cannot expect the student body to go buy new laptops just because we want to move them to 5 Ghz. I guess I will be running two physically separate wireless networks for a few years until we can migrate everyone.
    I see that you took the CCNA:W exam. What did you think of it? I was leaning toward that, but see they have since come out with a new version. Have you had any interest from potential employers because of the cert?
    First i'll start with the exam. it was good to take and pass, i got a 97, however as im finding out, it does not in anyway prepare you to set these up in real life. I havent been looking for a job, but i've been told if you get the ccna:w and cwna or better with it, you will be in demand. learn how to troubleshoot these things using wireshark and some spectrum tools and you'll be in business. thats what i plan to do, i really like it, but its frustrating.

forgive me, i've forgotten most of my ccna training unfortunately, i set up my WLC dynamic interfaces, we are running a core switch and a router. do i have to make that connection (switch to router) a trunk link? or just the port the WLC is connected to? and if i have to make the router to switch a trunk, will that screw up the native vlan? They have everything running on vlan2.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks