+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 First 123 456 Last

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Iris I think I want to focus on this soon after I finish off NP. What reading material do you suggest atleast for the CCNADC cert?
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    CCNA Data Center - Introducing Cisco Data Center Networking Study Guide: Exam 640-911: Todd Lammle, John Swartz: 9781118661260: Amazon.com: Books

Plus CBT Nuggets should be good.

The 640-911 exam is mindnumbingly easy. The hardest part of the 640-916 is the memorizing terminology
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Bonus TE Fun: Nerd Photos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Iristheangel View Post
    CCNA Data Center - Introducing Cisco Data Center Networking Study Guide: Exam 640-911: Todd Lammle, John Swartz: 9781118661260: Amazon.com: Books

Plus CBT Nuggets should be good.

The 640-911 exam is mindnumbingly easy. The hardest part of the 640-916 is the memorizing terminology

Good to know. I may hammer it off quickly then after I finish NP! I also have an enterprise access to ALL CBT video training provided by my work. Thanks for the info!

Edit: Wow just read the description of the book concepts. It does seem crazy easy!
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    I felt like 640-911 was CCENT-lite. With the CCNA, you could read through a couple chapters of Network Warrior and have enough NX-OS knowledge to pass it. There is an NX-OS simulator on Todd Lammle's site you can use
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S
    I've heard good things about them. I know a lot of people have their preferences and brand loyalty (INE vs IPExpert) but I like the idea of mixing it up. Some instructors on INE are amazing to me and others put me to sleep, sometimes the material isn't explained in a way that I understand, etc. It's not a bad idea to branch out and try something else.
    I mentioned in my thread that I think the quality of INE's workbook for DC was MUCH worse than R&S. R&S is very comprehensive and doesn't leave out a single detail. DC has entire subjects missing. IPX's workbook table of contents LOOKS better, but I've never actually seen the material. INE's videos for DC seem more lecture oriented and less command line oriented than R&S also.

TLDR, I wouldn't be surprised if IPX had much better DC material than INE. The people they have on staff were active DC bloggers before they took jobs at IPX.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    It's been a good study week for me. By the end of the weekend, I should have 24 out of 30 INE UCS videos done. I started the Ciscopress UCS book last week and I'm already blowing through chapter 6 out of 9 chapters. I should be done with both book and videos by the middle of next week. After that, I'm going to read this book: Implementing Cisco UCS Solutions: Farhan Nadeem, Prasenjit Sarkar: 9781782170662: Amazon.com: Books

It's a smaller book so I can't see it taking more than a week or two to read and it seems more focused on the configuration of UCSM while the Ciscopress UCS book seems more focused on the components and functions of UCS. After that, it's all about labbing in the PEC labs and going through the config guides. I think it's very realistic for me to take both CCNP DC UCS exams by early or middle of August.

Wish me luck!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:CP&I, SI, MCITPx2, MCSAx2, MCTSx7, VCP6/5/4/3(DCV), EMCISA, Sec+, ITILv3F, legacy MS
    Just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this thread. I've been asked (well, told ) to do the CCNA DC and then most likely the CCNP DC afterwards which all suits me fine for the foreseeable - and the list of resources you're using will come in very handy indeed. Good luck!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Finished the INE UCS video series and the Cisco Press UCS book.

Overall, I felt like the UCS book was a gigantic waste of time. Here's what the book was about:
    6 chapters focused on hardware which is mostly outdated (M1 servers and 1st generation IOMs and Fabric Interconnects).
    1 chapter focused on 3rd party management tools
    1 chapter focused on UCSM and what happens under the hood but it didn't go into nearly enough detail
    1 chapter focused on power and cooling

The only reason I would say to not skip this book is that I heard that a lot of the content from this book is on the CCIE DC written.

As far as the INE UCS videos, they definitely had a lot of good information. The only problem is that I have a hard time focusing on Mark Snow. He is a smart guy but it's hard for me not to doze off during his videos. I'm really hoping I get a lot more out of the IP Expert videos after I start hardcore dedicating myself to the CCIE DC studying.

There were also a couple of topics I couldn't follow along with as easily with the INE UCS videos. For example, there were about 4 or 5 videos that were dedicated completely to the Nexus 1000v and I had never installed or configured one. To solve this, I put watching the videos on hold, rented a rack for a couple hours and also completed the Nexus 1000v PEC lab. After that, I continued watching and it all made a lot more sense to me.

So my game plan is that I'm going to start working my way through this book next week: Implementing Cisco UCS Solutions: Farhan Nadeem, Prasenjit Sarkar: 9781782170662: Amazon.com: Books
    Since it's a fairly small book, I'm going to burn through it in a week or two easily. Then I will start labbing like crazy. My goal is to sit both CCNP DC UCS exams by the end of August so that leaves me with about 1-2 months of heavy labbing to get there.

Oh and in the spirit of all things CCIE related, I created myself a happy little blog: Late Night Cisco Musings
    My goal is after all the reading is done to lab daily and write something new at least once a week about things that I learned, things I did right, and things that I did wrong.
    Last edited by Iristheangel; 07-03-2014 at 03:47 AM.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Awesome stuff Iris! I think you and I will be chatting more and more about data center related topics. My company is on the verge of making a big push towards data center virtualization / SDN. I want to get on top of this track as well and as early as I can. My goals are definetly set to hit the data center topics as soon as I finish off NP. I'll be following you closely.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    While I am at it.... This had me thinking...

Does the data center path cover a lot of Virtualization related or Software Defined Networking topics?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Yes on virtualization. Not so much on SDN though I suspect that will change once they add N9Ks and ACI to the test in the future
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Awesome!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    CCNP; CCNP Voice; CCIE Collaboration; ITIL Foundation
    Unfortunately, links are the same.
    (Had to register to say this.)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Oops. I'll post later with the correct links when I'm home
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    https://app.box.com/s/axbl3a1tr4x59zb13j8u

There is a zip file of all the notes I've taken so far. I still need to finish my notes on DC and DCV but that's quite a bit right there
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    CCNP; CCNP Voice; CCIE Collaboration; ITIL Foundation
    Thanks a lot!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member
    https://app.box.com/s/axbl3a1tr4x59zb13j8u

There is a zip file of all the notes I've taken so far. I still need to finish my notes on DC and DCV but that's quite a bit right there
    Thank you for sharing them with us. You do an EXCELLANT job on your note taking.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA-DC
    This is an awesome thread to follow! I'm currently working on my CCNP ROUTE, but I occasionally do some reading for the data center as it's needed at work.

What I wanted to ask you Iristheangle, is how do you get so much reading in with a full-time job? Do you even sleep!? It's so inspiring and it makes me want to really step up my reading! Simply reading through this thread, and your status updates has given me such a boost of inspiration. So thank you so much for taking the time to share.

Cheers,
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    I usually get up early to read before work (less now than I used to), stay up late, and spend a lot of my free time on weekends studying. I definitely don't get as much fun time in as most people but I can't stop and go with my studying. When I dedicate myself to getting something, I push myself until I get there. I blame it on an semi-OCD nature
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    The pressure is on:
    Scheduled 642-999 for 8/8/2014 and 642-035 for 8/22/2014

That gives me a month of straight labbing to push myself through those tests. Wish me luck!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA-DC
    As much as we hate the pressure, it really helps. When you schedule an exam, you know it's game time and the preparation becomes a strategy. From the history of this thread, I really think you will smoke both exams! I won't wish you luck, as I believe everybody makes their own luck. =)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNP: Security/Data Center, CCNA Wireless, CWNA, WCNA
    Tackling the UCS half of the CCNPC first, Good luck!!!

That's the opposite of what I did (tackled the Nexus half first). I need to borrow a page from your book and just book my exams!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCIE R&S #38616 and many more!
    The pressure is on:
    Scheduled 642-999 for 8/8/2014 and 642-035 for 8/22/2014

That gives me a month of straight labbing to push myself through those tests. Wish me luck!
    I would say you are ready to take them right now. DCUCI was surprisingly easy, and DCUCT wasn't much worse. The nexus exams, IMO, were more difficult.

Good luck!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    I know I mentioned I was reading this book already but for anyone currently pursuing the CCIE DC or CCNP DC, buy this book now: Implementing Cisco UCS Solutions: Farhan Nadeem, Prasenjit Sarkar: 9781782170662: Amazon.com: Books

I'm halfway through after only starting it a couple of days ago. It stands apart from the Ciscopress UCS book because it actually goes through how to configure each important part of the UCS. The problem with the Cisco Press book is that it focuses on outdated hardware (1st gen IOM, FIs, M1 servers, etc) and doesn't have any focus on configuration. This book goes through 1st and 2nd gen IOMs, FIs, M1/M2/M3 servers, etc but doesn't waste more than the 1st chapter on hardware. It quickly jumps into explaining each part of the configuration and walks you through doing it. It's like a configuration guide-lite in that sense.

Even though the book is 330 pages, it's VERY easy to take notes and read the whole book cover-to-cover while labbing with the UCS Emulator in a week.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA-DC
    I'm trying to get UCS in our data center, but I'm getting a lot of resistance from a price perspective. I just want to get in here so I can learn and do a UCS implementation. Looks like the UCS Emulator will have to do. How's it work for you? Does it provide the level of interaction to learn UCS?

Book has been added to my Amazon cart. Thanks for the recommendation. That's how you find great books!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 First 123 456 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks