+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using GNS3

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, Security+

Default Using GNS3

What in this track can be simulated with GNS3 and what has to be the real equipment? I'd like to know in order to estimate costs for a lab.

Also, is there anyone here who only obtained an NP-Security without an NP, or got the NP-S first?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, Security+
    Bump the thread.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA Sec, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CISSP
    Routers (using GNS3 or IOU), switches (using IOU) and IPS can all be simulated. Others may be able to be simulated as well, those are the ones I know are. I'm going to get started on this soon myself, so I haven't looked too closely at what devices are testable yet.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    VCP4-DCV, VCP5-DCV, CCNA, CCNA-Security, MCITP:EA, MCSE, MCSA, RHCSA, AWS CSA, AWS SysOps
    Hey, I am going for CCNP Sec this year, without the "regular" CCNP (obtained CCNA and CCNA Sec so far). Also, I regularly use GNS3 for my CCNP Sec labs, even though I have some hardware available (ASA 5510)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, Security+
    Quote Originally Posted by Highl1 View Post
    Hey, I am going for CCNP Sec this year, without the "regular" CCNP (obtained CCNA and CCNA Sec so far). Also, I regularly use GNS3 for my CCNP Sec labs, even though I have some hardware available (ASA 5510)
    Look like you're a little ahead of me since you already have your CCNA Sec. I'm going to try and knock out all five tests this year. Time to buckle down.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    A/L/P/S+, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCDP, CCNA R&S/Sec, ACIS ERS 8K & VSP 9K, BS: IT Security
    Simulating an old school ASA is easy in GNS3. As for the next gen firewall, you made need some real equipment for that. One of the tests I believe is all IOS security so you could use GNS3 for that. However, for SISAS, you'll need a copy of Cisco ISE (The older one is available if you have a login). You'll need to figure out how to integrate it into your virtual or physical routing/switching environment. Also remember the free version of ISE is a trial, so running it in a VM and reinstalling would be wise (And it'd give you multiple installation experiences).
    Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation Goals: Bash Shell/Python Automation Refinement [], CCIE R&S Written [X], AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate (Maybe) [] CCIE R&S Counter: Somewhere between zero and infinity
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member

Certifications
    VCP4-DCV, VCP5-DCV, CCNA, CCNA-Security, MCITP:EA, MCSE, MCSA, RHCSA, AWS CSA, AWS SysOps
    ISE 1.2 which is enough for SISAS exam can be run in a VM in let's say VMware Workstation, and connect it to a GNS3 setup running on your host
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks