+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member

Default Recertification Question

hi guys ,
    so i have ccna and ccnp r/s certifications but they both will expire in October 2015
    i've been studying ccna/ccnp security for a long time now and with some reviewing i can take ccna sec or any ccnp sec exam but the problem here is money

my main goal is to finish ccna/ccnp sec but right now my main focus is to renew my r/s certifications

so my question is this
    if i skip ccna sec for now and pass one exam from the ccnp sec cert
    will that renew my ccna-ccnp r/s certifications ?

i know passing ccnp exam without ccna isn't recommanded but i'm looking for a way to renew my r/s cert and take a little step forward without losing money on a cert i already took

i'll get back to ccna sec when i have the budget and then complete my ccnp studies
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S
    From Cisco : "Valid CCNA Security Certification or any CCIE Certification can act as a prerequisite"
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/professional/ccnp_security/index.html

So you'll have to do CCNA Security first.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Mow

Certifications
    CCNP Collaboration, CCNA, CCDA, CCNA Sec
    I believe you can take a P level exam for security before you take CCNA/S, but it won't count towards CCNP/S until you get your A level cert. Whether it will renew your CCNP R&S, I'm not sure. I think you can email certifications@cisco.com to find out.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mow View Post
    I believe you can take a P level exam for security before you take CCNA/S, but it won't count towards CCNP/S until you get your A level cert.
    Correct. Basically, you can do CCNA/CCNP certifications in any order, but you won't receive the official certification until you've achieved all prerequisite (and CCNA or any CCIE is usually a prerequisite).

Whether it will renew your CCNP R&S, I'm not sure. I think you can email certifications@cisco.com to find out.
    It will. I just did this myself by completing a CCNP:SP exam without having CCNA:SP, and it renewed all CCNA/CCNP exams.

So in the thread starter's position, taking a CCNP:Sec exam that he's confident that he will pass seems like the obvious thing to do.
    Last edited by fredrikjj; 06-24-2015 at 07:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CIW: Web Foundations; MCTS: Active Directory; MCP: 2000 Professional; CNA: NetWare 5; CompTIA A+
    Quote Originally Posted by fredrikjj View Post
    It will. I just did this myself by completing a CCNP:SP exam without having CCNA:SP, and it renewed all CCNA/CCNP exams.
    My understanding is that you don't need CCNA: SP to get CCNP: SP as long as you have passed ROUTE.

The following will act as a prerequisite:

I noticed on my certification progress after passing ROUTE that it said I met the requirements to pursue CCNP: SP, so I looked it up. This appears to only be true for the Service Provider track.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP
    Yes that's true until July 24th 2015.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE RS, CCNP RS, CCNA RS, CCNA S, ITILF
    I passed DCUFI (CCNP DC track) and got my CCNP RS Renewed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks