+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 First 123 4567 Last
  1. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    Interesting. Just got the email this morning about IPExpert has teamed up with Micronics to resell the Z2H class with some additional goodies:
    https://www.ipexpert.com/Cisco/CCIE/...-hero-bootcamp

You can still buy it through Micronics at lower cost and use learning credits there or pay $499 more to get the Micronics class + IPX's Security workbooks and IPX's CompTIA Security+/CCNA Security/CCNP Security/CCIE Security VODs for a year. Not a bad deal if you're starting from zilch. Both are a good deal but it all depends on where you're starting from. Just throwing it in here since it's news to me as well and if someone is REALLY wanting to start at the basics, this might be a better option.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Bonus TE Fun: Nerd Photos
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S
    Cool stuff Iris, I've been following the thread and the IPX deals makes sense for someone like me. Now if I can just save up the $4k lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    SpecterOps: Powershell Adversary Tactics, SilentBreakSecurity - DarkSideOps, CISSP, CCDP, CCNP R/S, CCNP Security (Secure, FW) , C|EH , PA ACE
    That is very good stuff Iris! Thanks for the update!

Interesting look from IPX. Good to hear they are supporting Micronics.
    2017 Goals: Dark Side OPS: Custom Pentesting (complete), SpecterOps: PowerShell Adversary Tactics (completed), eCPPT (2nd attempt), LFCS (2nd attempt), OSCP (Ah next year...)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, Proj+, CWNA, CEH, CHFI, CCNP, CCDP, CISSP, SSCP, CASP
    IPX says their class will prepare students to CCIE level, but Micronics says their class would prepare "up to" CCIE level.
    Anyways, I have a unique situation. I have all the video training from skillsoft (gift from WGU), and got half of the lab equipment in my garage. Since I dont know how to setup Cisco ISE, WSA/ESA and couple other apps, I am stuck. I desperately need help setting them up for lab exercises. I dont feel like or could afford to spend thousands of dollars for bootcamps. I'm thinking about buying the CCIE workbooks, so at least I can get some configuration samples.
    Any ideas?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCIE DC, CCNP R&S/DC, CCDP, CCNA:RS/S/V/DC, CCDA, BCVRE, BCEFP, BCNE, CEH, CHFI, MCSE:S, MCDST, A/S/L/P/N+, some useless Citrix and CIW certs
    The IPX and Micronics class is the same class. IPX is just reselling it at a premium and adding their workbooks and videos to it which definitely can help if someone is starting fresher.

As far as your problem, There's a LOT of documents out there, config guides, quickstart guides, etc that can help you through the basic setup of ISE/WSA/ESA. That shouldn't be so hard. As far as self-studying to a CCIE-level and keeping those costs down? That's going to be a bit problematic. Definitely not saying it's impossible but if you're in it for the long-haul, expect to spend $10-15K on average and 1-3 years depending on your experience. I would suggest maybe looking for a job with a partner or vendor who will pay for your training - that'd probably work more to your advantage
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member
    @deshiman:
    When I had started my IE Voice track I had bought all the devices (2811 routers, switches, VWIC, HWVIC, Esxi) and had no idea how it would work. Toiling, and tinkering with your home lab is tedious BUT it is also so much fun. After a year working on my home rack, I helped a friend setup and configure his entire Voice rack from scratch in 7 hours.
    I don't have the coins to procure a IE Security rack, but most people make virtual (Sec and DC) labs with ASA, vASA, WSE, Nexus7, VPN, IPS, etc. 95% of the INE/IPX/Narbik labs can be done with UNet lab/GNS.
    Or, you could simply rent racks (rackrentals) and follow the workbook of the vendors. Getting the All Access Pass from INE will allow you to access their Security videos and also participate in their Blogs for any hardware or lab queries. Further, it is very helpful to join the study groups.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Spent most of today organizing my notes from the class, indexing them into one big massive word doc with a table of contents and indexing. After everything was condensed and indexed, I had 370 pages of notes from over 13 weeks. Now that they are organized, I think it'll make it a lot easier for when I come back to do the CCIE Security. I'm stubbornly refusing to even think about the CCIE Security until they update the exam. I want a challenge with technology I will be touching daily, not this old dinosaur technology that's currently on the lab (ISE 1.1, pre-8.3 NAT, 4200 IPS, etc).

Today's class was a bit of a freebie. The students wanted to learn about old NAT and IPS since a couple were taking the lab soon so I skipped today. The instructor did go over how to build the class topology and where to get the licenses for a good hour so that was the one takeaway from the class.

Next week is ESA and then the week after is IOS security and Lancope. The Lancope part got added in there at the last moment so I'm excited about that. I currently have Lancope set up on Pxgrid in my lab but it's not doing much more that remediation and monitoring. I've love to dig deeper and customize it some more and be more proactive with Lancope POCs. I definitely see myself getting a lot out of that week.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member
    Hi Iris:
    What was your motivation to choose Security after achieving your IE in DC? I noticed people with IE DC would go for Collaboration or R&S as their second IE pursuit
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    I'm not going after the CCIE Security. At least not until they update the exam. Currently the CCIE Security lab exam is REALLY long in the tooth so I won't bother on the current version of the exam. I'm studying for the R&S right now but I took this course since it had all the new versions of software and it would help me in my day job. I consider this more "job training" that I can use for the CCIE Security down the road since I'll be pursuing it one day.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member
    I have been fiercely deciding whether to go the R&S route or Security. Your post has made it easier for me to take up R&S. I have heard the IE Sec labs incorporate a heavy dose of R&S (security related). Hence, a strong R&S knowledge would be very helpful.
    All the best with R&S.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Given what I've seen of the CCIE blueprint, there seems to be less routing and switching in the CCIE Security than DC (which didn't have a lot).
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. BS:ITSec, MS:ISA

Certifications
    A+, Project+, Network+, Security+, CCNA, CCNA Security, CEH, CHFI, CISSP, ITIL, GCIH
    Thanks for the write-up Iris! You convinced me to take this course, I'll start March 12th. I signed up through IPexpert and also did their yearly pass since I get 5k for my training budget.

I'm looking forward to starting! I will miss 2 week classes due to me being out of the country, but I'm sure I can watch them afterwards and catch up.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Awesome. You'll definitely enjoy the class.

I'm having fun building out my own topology now that the class is winding down. Last week's class was all about how to build your own virtualized lab. Prior to now, I had a lab but I got some good ideas on how to optimize it. This is the new topology:
    LabNetwork.jpg

I still have some room left over on the server even with all the up and running:
    VMPic.jpg

I'll probably add vCenter and Nexus 1000v next. I'm definitely looking to keep my skills sharp and play around with some different stuff after the class.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. BS:ITSec, MS:ISA

Certifications
    A+, Project+, Network+, Security+, CCNA, CCNA Security, CEH, CHFI, CISSP, ITIL, GCIH
    Did the class go over anything with the WLC? That's the one thing I don't have, maybe I'll pickup a cheap used one for labs.

Do you think the 5506-x is worth it over the ASAv + NGIPS?

Reply With Quote Quote  

16. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Yes, the 5506-X will have the ASA features + the NGIPS features and it's cheaper in general. You can easily get eval licenses for the NGIPS features off Cisco if you want to.

As far as the WLC, we didn't spend much time on it but the configuration for the purposes of dot1x, CWA and profiling are in the lab workbooks we were given
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Member
    Hi Iris,

Thanks for keep updating this thread. What make and model of server are you using for your home virtual LAB ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    C220 M3 with 2x 6-core procs, 128GB RAM and a bunch of hard drives. Not plausible for all people with all things considered but it does the job for me.
    Last edited by Iristheangel; 02-29-2016 at 01:29 AM.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    We did a class last week on building our own security lab. I've already built mine for other purposes entirely but here's the instructors suggestions based on the notes I took:
    Attachment 7604
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iristheangel View Post
    We did a class last week on building our own security lab. I've already built mine for other purposes entirely but here's the instructors suggestions based on the notes I took:
    Attachment 7604
    The topology Link you posted above doesn't work!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    It's not a topology but try this: https://app.box.com/s/w7geqvpjlakyksh4x0c5xg5pjh230ow7
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. BS:ITSec, MS:ISA

Certifications
    Thanks Iris, the complaint I had with the new series is that you lose some switching features. I may try and see if I can bring home a device from my work for testing.

Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Member

Certifications
    M.S. Cyber Security, sec+, Linux +, CCNA RS, CCNA Sec, OSCP
    I'm going to take the class starting on March 12th. Your thread makes it seem really worth it. I have a current ccna sec, the CCNP Route exam passed (1/3 of ccnp route/switch) and the SISAS course passed (1/4 ccnp sec) as I use ISE at work already and that one was easy... I am about to start working with ASAs a lot more at work so this class should help it seems. My goal is to become a CCIE Sec one day anyways, so I'll start with this class.
    Last edited by BuhRock; 03-05-2016 at 06:32 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iristheangel View Post

lovely detail
    what do u think about cloud subscription
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Member

Certifications
    M.S. Cyber Security, sec+, Linux +, CCNA RS, CCNA Sec, OSCP
    I purchased the course. We are starting tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. ABL - Always Be Labbin' Iristheangel's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by iseeyou View Post
    lovely detail
    what do u think about cloud subscription
    Cloud subscription of what?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 First 123 4567 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks