A+, MCP, CCNA R/S, CCNA-Security, CCNA Collaboration, CCNP R/S

Default ASA multiple context firewall backups

hey guys. how do you back up in a multiple context firewall

system
    admin
    context 1
    context 2
    context 3

daily ? we use solarwinds, but how in the heck do you back up each item above just through Admin manage0/0 interface?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Member

Certifications
    CCNP R&S
    Expect script :>
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CCNA: Sec
    If you use CatTools, you can set the backup to occur on a per IP basis. With that, you can configure CatTools to go to said IP address and do the backup.

In your situation, I would create sub interfaces and assign them to each context. From there, you can assign an IP to each sub interface and that should do the job.

Let me know how you get on.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    yeah yah think it would be all easy thru the man0/0 interface ahhaha just weird that you go to manage it but cant get to each context without some scripting i will let you know. I think i might do the subif and vlan and have different IPs for each subif.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by itdaddy View Post
    yeah yah think it would be all easy thru the man0/0 interface ahhaha just weird that you go to manage it but cant get to each context without some scripting i will let you know. I think i might do the subif and vlan and have different IPs for each subif.
    That's the way i've always seen it done
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Simrid
    you mean you have only seen it via say subif and separate vlans per context? and the subif allocated to each respective context? and then backup each like that is what you have seen? or you have only seen it backed up all contexts via man0/0 only? with special scripting to back them all up?

hey how do you back up a system config? just copy the config over? I do not see how you can backup the system. I know how to do the admin, and context1,context2 etc..but how do you back up system just copy config file?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    The way i've seen it done is to create a sub interface for each context and assign it to the relevant context. You can then allocate it an IP etc and do the relevant backup from there.

In terms of backing up the system context, the way that springs to mind/seen it done in the past is to run a script which goes into the admin context, issues the "changeto system" command and then pulls the running configuration from the system context to a relevant directory (Kiwi CatTools has a nice feature for this).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    thanks bro. Yeah I did that too along time ago with cat tools. appreciate your confirmation.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks