+ Reply to Thread
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA,MCP, MCSA, MCSA:Security, MCSA:Messaging, MCSE, MCSE: Security, CompTIA Security+, network+ and linux+

Default Books for self study

Hello!

Its time for me to buy some books... I checked Amazon for sybex books con CCSP but the reviews aren't so good.

I would like some opinions, if any, on Cisco Press books self study guides... ie:

*CCSP SNPA Official Exam Certification Guide, 3rd Edition
    *CCSP Self-Study: Cisco Secure Virtual Private Networks (CSVPN), 2nd Edition
    *CCSP IPS Exam Certification Guide
    *CCSP SNRS Exam Certification Guide (CCSP Self-Study)

There is another one of McGraw-Hill... an All in one book... Sybex also released one like this.

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    MCP (NT4 Server), MCSA 2000, MCSA 2003, CCNA, Security+, Network+
    I think it's just me - but personally I never met a Cisco Press book I liked. I guess I just don't like the way they are laid out or something, because the info is good. They put me to sleep worse than any other tech book publisher. I never buy them anymore.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA,MCP, MCSA, MCSA:Security, MCSA:Messaging, MCSE, MCSE: Security, CompTIA Security+, network+ and linux+
    Yeah! The sleep effect is incredible... What books do you suggest for CCSP?

Saludos amigo!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Wish I could help you there, but I can't.

<----- No CCSP!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    LOL! When are starting??

I hope when you ask the same question as I do, I could help

Thanks amigo.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    I say double your caffiene intake and go with the Cisco Press books.

http://www.ciscopress.com/markets/de...0&redir=1&rl=1

I liked the Sybex CCSP Complete Study Guide (from 2005, which is now obsolete for the new exams) in addition to the recommended Cisco Press books (for the old exams). I don't see a new version on Amazon.... so its looking like you might need to get an Expresso Machine and also some NoDoze.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by agustinchernitsky
    LOL! When are starting??
    For now I don't plan on persuing Cisco certs beyond renewing my CCNA which expires in November - I will actually have to let it expire because I am in the middle of other stuff until early next year. I deal in mostly in MS products, as we only have a couple of 3500 routers, a 1700 router and a 1720 router that rarely need attention. We do have at least 50-60 Cisco switches (various makes) and a small PIX for a VLAN, but again those are kind of "set and forget" with the exception of managing switch ports (we use port security). So my CCNA pretty much covers the basics I need.

One exception is possible in the future, and that is getting certified on the PIX, since firewalls are kind of "my thing". However, that will be at least a year or two out.

Good luck on your studies my friend!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    Hello Mike...

Yes, double expresso with a shot of tequila and maybe a Red Bull energizer in it... jajajaja. That should light up my reading

Thanks for the Link... I will start buying those asap...

Did you notice that the SND exam has no prep guide like the others... Interesting... no?

Thanks a millon... It's going to be a long way to CCSP... I feel it!

Saludos amigos!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks