+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Default Just some basic CCNP collaboration advice

Hello everyone. This may or may not be the right board but you guys seem to know what you're talking about. I have a Nortel Telecom background with a few other tech support roles here and there. I have actually done some basic Video conferencing tasks years ago also with a picturetel Venue 2000. Anyway I am currently in a level 1 telecom/network infrastructure role right now, been there for close to two years. Assist with upgrading and basic troubleshooting of the Cisco switches around the refinery. I really would love to pursue the Collaboration track after I get my CCENT. Do any of you feel I have to get CCNP R/S down first before Collab. My thought is maybe get CCNA R/S done and start right on the Collab track. I wish one day they could just have two test, CCENT and one test for ccnp r/s lol. Anyway I just had this on my mind driving me wild. I wish you all the best.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    I think it's always good to have the fundamental networking - however it's you don't need to have CCNP RS knowledge before doing any of the Collaboration exams. My mate passed his CCIE Collaboration lab about 4 months ago, he only has a CCNA RS.

Hope that helps.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Thanks so much Alex90. Thats pretty much what I was thinking. My gut feeling is saying get Ccna r/s and just going straight for the Ccna Collab tests.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R+S, CCNA:R+S, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA:S, CCENT, CNSS 4011
    Anybody know if there is a last day to upgrade a CCNP Voice to Collaboration? I’ll be taking the CIPTv2 test at some point but it looks like the book has been pushed back again – says April 3rd now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitviper View Post
    Anybody know if there is a last day to upgrade a CCNP Voice to Collaboration? I’ll be taking the CIPTv2 test at some point but it looks like the book has been pushed back again – says April 3rd now.
    I don't think there is a cut of date as yet, I certainly haven't seen or heard anything if there is one. I guess it would be whenever your CCNP Voice expires?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex90 View Post
    I don't think there is a cut of date as yet, I certainly haven't seen or heard anything if there is one. I guess it would be whenever your CCNP Voice expires?
    Yeah, that's the thing... It should expire 3/2017 but the certification tracking website no longer lists the expiration date for the NP Voice. The cert is simply listed under the prereq items for NP collaboration now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNP(V), S+ CCIE V(written)
    Thats what sucks for me, mine's expires in March. I'm going to spam the test until I pass. I'm doing some video installs now, so I'm going to use that knowledge and the SRND's to pass. I've bought the VCE exam simulator to make practice test. I have about 30 questions now. I hope to get up to 100 by the end of the weekend. Every time I read something that looks like it could be on the exam I copy and paste it from the SRND or Admin guide into VCE.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    BS IT (CCNA R&S, Security, Voice) CCDA, MCP XP, A+, L+, P+, LPIC-1, SUSE CLA
    Hey Showdown, what do you think of the current state of the voip market? I see reports that a lot of companies are adopting the cloud based format via lync which allows full integration. I read that cisco is trying to come into that market with spark but idk they may lose out since there is so much competition nowadays. I am in the NYC tristate market and don't see many voice job postings anymore. Seems the stuff thats hot is wireless/security/rs. Any Voip roles now seems to be admin work. Due to the deadline and other projects I just was only able to complete CVOICE and CIPT1 before expiration. I'm not even sure if I want to finish the track due to a possible market shift.
    Last edited by dmarcisco; 01-06-2016 at 03:56 PM.
    In life you have to make your own opportunities. Don't let anyone stop you from your dreams to many negative people want you to fail because they can't succeed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I’m in CT near NY border and there is no shortage of VoIP jobs here. I don’t see anyone switching from CUCM to Lync to be honest. I do see people moving to hosted Call Manager environments.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNP(V), S+ CCIE V(written)
    I still get a lot of calls these days, and your right a lot of them are admin roles, but I get a hell of a lot of calls for building out systems. Even building out large hosted systems. It kinda just depends on how strong your resume is written. Voice system often have to be upgraded every few years so there is always work. We should all be trying to expand on what we do. The reality is that VoIP will slow down so we should have answers to that problem. For example I offer my own hosted/cloud solution that I have been working on for a while.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member
    I think it also depends how you market yourself. I consider myself (now anyway) as a network engineer who does voice, but I also do R&S and security. At least that way if the voice market dries up I still have options. For me this is a reality as I am no longer in a role where I just do one technology, and I can see this will be the way jobs will go in the future - at least in the UK.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Hi guys.

I already have CCNP Voice and I used my own home lab for this. My home lab included: 4x2811 and 2x2811 + all necessary modules and phones. Now that CCNP Collaboration came out for it means that i need to buy new equipment which cost a lot of money. Hence, the question: whether it worth to upgrade my CCNP Voice now or I have some time until video calls become a normal and daily things. I've never seen video calls being done in organizations and I wonder may be it's not that popular yet nowadays.
    Best, sacredboy!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Did I miss any announcements for the CCNP:Voice -> Collaboration upgrade cutoff date? I'm going to knock the test out in the fall - unfortunately the book came out just in time for summer, and that's when I study the least lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron0011 View Post
    Excellent, I'll be sitting for CIPTV2 as soon as I can get ahold of the book/topics to refresh what I need to know.
    I am preparing for CIPTV1,any tips?
    Have you passed CIPTV1?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Hi guys,

What study materials do you use for CCNP Collaboration? I searched ones on Amazon but reviews for OCGs are maximum 2 stars with brief description that CCNP Collaboration OCGs are written extremely bad.

I would highly appreciate of someone could advise reading/watching worthy materials on this track.

Thank you.
    Best, sacredboy!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

What CUCM SRND version is actual for CCNp Collaboration?
    Best, sacredboy!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Not sure what the official answer is but I used 10.x SRNDs. I can't speak for the other tests but the Cisco Press CIPTV2 book is almost useless for the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks