+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home CCVP lab

1. Junior Member

Default Home CCVP lab

Hello all

I am currently studying for my CCNP and have set-up a home lab with some 2600's, a couple of 2900 switches and a couple of 800's for isdn. Since the CCNP track is changing to include VOIP and wireless I thought it would be a good idea to get some voice stuff for the lab and then do CCVP along with the CCNP.

Can anyone recommend what would be needed for a home voice lab. My budget wont stretch to expensive kit such as 3550's I would rather spend my money wisely so any help would be appreciated.

I have had a look at what Cisco recommends but I would rather find out what is needed from people who have actually been there.

Any help most appreciated

Regards
    Ellen
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    The equipment I used is in the Doubt about CCVP equipments thread.

The link to the CCIE Voice Equipment is also in that thread -- that's sort of the "Dream Lab" for the CCVP, but parts of it would be overkill.

Renting a CCIE Voice Rack is an option for CCVP study.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member

Default re: Home CCVP lab

Thanks mike

I had read this posting already but was not sure if anyone else had anything more to add on this

My 2600's will easily take a couple of V1/V2 modules with the FXS/FXO (at risk of sounding stupid what is the difference between these?). I think my switches should be fine as well, so I just need to track down the phones and the call manager/gateway stuff

On the subject of phones I have noticed quite a few different types on ebay, is there anything that I should keep away from?

Thanks again
    Ellen
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011

Default Re: re: Home CCVP lab

I plugged the FXO into my outside line or the POTs Simulator/Ascend Max 6000. I used the FXS for regular analog phones and FAX machines (my fax/scanner/printers and laptop with fax modem).

Check out the Analog Signaling (E & M, DID, FXS, FXO) web page for a quick 2 paragraph blurb -- and a bunch of links you will learn to love or hate. Highlights follow:

A Foreign Exchange Station (FXS) interface connects directly to a standard telephone, fax machine, or similar device and supplies ring, voltage, and dial tone.

The Cisco Foreign Exchange Office (FXO) interface is an RJ-11 connector that allows an analog connection to be directed at the public switched telephone network's (PSTN's) central office or to a station interface on a private branch exchange (PBX).

I didn't didn't get one of these.... but I did learn the configurations.
    An Ear and Mouth (E&M) interface supports tie-line facilities or signals between telephone switches. You can use the E&M voice interface card (VIC) to integrate VoIP with the legacy voice solution. The E&M VIC connects the Cisco router to a PBX.

If you get 7940s and 7960s you're probably fine. I also got some of the older (cheaper) 7910s and 7912s just to have more phones for testing. If you don't have a switch that supports inline power, then you'll need to get the power cubes.

I did consider getting a non-Cisco phone that supposedly would work with Cisco stuff -- but decided not to worry about it for the CCVP.

The VG200 gateway I have is really just a 2600 chassis with the NM-V2 and VIC cards (and the VG200 gateway IOS). You'll need an IOS for the 2600 that supports the voice stuff.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member

Default RE: Home CCVP lab

Thanks Mike

The information is perfect, I was going to get some 7940 phones but I was not sure if they would be ok

I am sure my ios supports voice but I will check with the chap I got the routers from, I'm sure he will find me one if the one I have is'nt suitable

If you dont mind I have one more question, I've had a look on the cisco website at the cisco call manager stuff, it is very expensive, is there anotherway of trying out an "evaluation version" of the software?? I hope you dont mind me asking, I'm not sure what other CCVP candidates do for this part of the course??

Thanks again for your help

Bye
    Ellen
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks