+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PSTN Simulator

1. Member

Certifications
    CCNA

Default PSTN Simulator

Hello

I am trying to build a home lab for CCVP and was wondering if there is a way to simulate PSTN. I checked on ebay, they have some boxes that go for over $2500 that can simulate BRI, PRI and T1 but that too much for me. I was hoping for something under $100.
    Could you please share your experiences on how did you go about using PSTN?

thanks
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCIE #19991 R+S, CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, CCVP, CCSP, CCSI, MCSE NT4.0, 2000, 2003, + Messaging and Security, MCDBA, MCSD, MCAD
    Adtran atlas 550 with T1 and Pri interfaces, 8fxs and 4 ISDN BRI U interfaces

Multiple Cisco MC3810's with T1, FXO and FXS interfaces.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    When you search on eBay make sure you search for "pots simulator" "pbx simulator" and "pstn simulator"

I started with a PBX Simulator (there's some for $30 right now on eBay) and then got the Ascend/Lucent MAX 6000. There are also the Madge -- so you might want to also search for "wan switch." There were a few Adtran deals a couple months back (around $250-$350) and there are some MAXs & Madges around $500-$800 on eBay right now.

I've also got the 5 MC3810s. They are great when you first start out because of the selection of ports you can get, and they can be cheap if you shop for them and wait for a deal. Then you can also use them later as your PSTN cloud if you add more current voice routers to your lab.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member

Certifications
    CCNA

Default PSTN Simulator

Hello

I was checking ebay and find this router for a reasonable price, but I dont know if it needs more modules. Could you let me know if this router is sufficient for CCVP or will I need to buy more cards for it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-MC3810-V-R...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for your help
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011

Default Re: PSTN Simulator

Quote Originally Posted by fid500
    Could you let me know if this router is sufficient for CCVP or will I need to buy more cards for it?
    One of my 5 is in that configuration -- with the 2 T1s. Couldn't see the memory, but it looks like 8 meg flash and the 6 DSP module.

When you're starting out, the AV6 Carrier and the FXS, FXO, and maybe E&M daughtercards are more useful, and you can have a single T1 with that -- so if you had 2 of these, then you could have "2 sites" and hook them up back to back via the T1s.

You can find some MC3810 info in these threads:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30127

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15869

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29653
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member

Certifications
    CCNA

Default PSTN Simulator

Thanks alot Mike. I will check those links and hope to et something soon. I will post my lab once it s done.
    Thanks all for your help
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Guys, please, give an advice if it's possible to use Cisco 2801 router as PSTN.
    Best, sacredboy!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member
    Blimey you've dug up an old post here mate!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNP(V), S+ CCIE V(written)
    yes you can use it as a PSTN simulator, you may come up short trying to use it as a frame and PSTN at the same time.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCDA, CCNA:Voice(IIUC), CCNP:Voice
    Some of the legacy routers work just as well...the newest IOS are not critical for a PSTN/WAN simulator, I'm using an old 3725, with 6 PRI & 8 serial.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Thank you guys for you responses. Please be kind also to advice the necessary modules for my 2801 in order to simulate PSTN.
    Best, sacredboy!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R+S, CCNA:R+S, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA:S, CCENT, CNSS 4011
    Man, we miss mikej
    Reply With Quote Quote  

OK guys it seems that for PSTN simulation the following modules are required:
    WIC-1DSU-T1-V2
    VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1
    VWIC-2MFT-T1/DI

I'd be grateful if someone could explain the purpose of each module.
    Best, sacredboy!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNP(V), S+ CCIE V(written)
    to be honest with you if you don't know the meaning for the cards you aren't ready to built a PSTN simulator it would just beat on your brain.

VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 That is a voice/network module. You can use it as a PRI Voice T1 or Data T1.
    The WIC-1DSU-T1 is a data T1 that you can use for frame-relay or just stright data T1
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks