+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Junior Member
    I am so glad for you. You are my idol, flyingput!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. DoWork
    A major Illinois hospital system near you

Certifications
    vExpert, VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCP-NV, BSTM
    Not that I'm even in the same arena as you but awesome thread. I live in Chicago and it's nice to see some of the feedback you're sharing on the recruiters around here. GL out there.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Geezer

Default Chicago area

This is an excellent thread. I'm getting back into I.T., after being out several years. I'm hoping I ace my interview Tuesday for a NOC position. Not what I want to do, but it gets my foot in the door, and I'll be able to focus on finally working on my certs, with a steady "contract" position.

My background is more WAN, so I'm probably knocking out my CCNA, but also considering MCITP, as recruiters and employers seem to want you to know everything.

I'd love to get into Cisco Voice or Security, and its interesting to gauge the interest in Chicago market. While I've been out of I.T. for a few years, with no certs, and my degree not complete, I've had a helluva time just to get an interview. The market, for both management and I.T., has been rough.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCIE voice, UCCX, UCCE
    Please forgive my shameless bump again in this thread.

After the 1st month working in a Cisco gold VAR, I am surprised to know how difficult it is to find solid VoIP engineers in Chicago land. Our team still has 2 positions but can't even get one. Several other gold VARs are facing the same situation according to recruiters.

On the other side, quite some customers can't, either. They are not "mama papa shops". But we always find PBX guys in their telecom/network teams.

Considering the current slow economy, IP Telephony is absolutely an exception.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCDP
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingput View Post
    Please forgive my shameless bump again in this thread.

After the 1st month working in a Cisco gold VAR, I am surprised to know how difficult it is to find solid VoIP engineers in Chicago land. Our team still has 2 positions but can't even get one. Several other gold VARs are facing the same situation according to recruiters.

On the other side, quite some customers can't, either. They are not "mama papa shops". But we always find PBX guys in their telecom/network teams.

Considering the current slow economy, IP Telephony is absolutely an exception.
    What type of experience are you looking for in these solid VoIP openings? What type of questions do you ask them upon interview?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks