+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    MCSE, CCNA, CCNA:V, MCTS

Default Aspire to CCM

Well we are getting ride of the Aspire but its taking too long. We have probably about 25 sites that have aspire or ux5000 NEC PBX
    SO I was wondering if there is an easy way to get some temporarily, inter office communication going.
    I have CUCM experience but almost none on NEC.
    I know they support SIP trunk. How to get a trunk up between a remoter site and CUCM?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNP(V), S+ CCIE V(written)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbelski View Post
    Well we are getting ride of the Aspire but its taking too long. We have probably about 25 sites that have aspire or ux5000 NEC PBX
    SO I was wondering if there is an easy way to get some temporarily, inter office communication going.
    I have CUCM experience but almost none on NEC.
    I know they support SIP trunk. How to get a trunk up between a remoter site and CUCM?
    If you have 25 sites thats going to be a nightmare if they have there own systems. What I would do if I had 25 different sites is that if they have a separate routers I would point the phone system to the router and run MGCP from the call manager so you can use QSIG and get all the feature support across the board.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:Voice, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA, CCENT, Security +, Network +, A+,CIW
    The first thing that needs to happen is to establish your WAN. This can be done through an expensive managed MPLS network or even VPN if they are smaller sites and you have equipment that can support IPSEC or OpenVPN. There are many other choices, talk to a WAN provider and they will sell you dozens.

Once you get the WAN up, you can configure the trunk just as you would normally in CUCM to a destination on net.

What I would do if I had 25 different sites is that if they have a separate routers I would point the phone system to the router and run MGCP from the call manager so you can use QSIG and get all the feature support across the board.
    Assuming he has Cisco gateways on the border of each of the 25 sites, that would be a wonderful choice. I find that a little unlikely, since most people have those phone systems because they could not afford Cisco equipment.

Either way, it sounds like you have a rather large project in front of you.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    Thats correct, but if they are phasing those systems out they will prob buy a Cisco routers anyway to centralize the deployment. This is not really taught much in the newer deployments, but the 1st part is getting cisco routers to connect them to the WAN. If they can't do that the other option would be to do some type of H323 setup. The problem with that is that they would have to do gatekeeper which would be easy for someone with VOICE experience, but a nightmare for someone without it, the problem with that is that they would loose a lot of capabilities for calls across the wan, but the same thing would happen with SIP if the flavors of it didn't match up.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ N+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-Voice, CCNA-Security, CCNP: Voice
    Showdown.. im starting to feel your pain with SIP... just to many carriers and all of them do it slightly differently.

Long live ISDN and H323!

on a side note.. the company i work for plans on doing a sip overhaul and converting EVERYTHING to SIP.. nutz.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R+S, CCNA:R+S, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA:S, CCENT, CNSS 4011
    Some of the more relevant Aspires (last 4 or so years) have tons of options. The ones that I worked with had TDM phones, but also IP connectivity. They also ran as NECs version of H.323 (which for us didn’t actually work as the standards based protocol should). The key is to find a GOOD NEC tech. Also, lots of the typical proprietary “you need this specific card” and “you need to license this specific option”. The NEC forums don’t help much, especially if you ask for help and mention “Cisco” or “integration”…
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    MCSE, CCNA, CCNA:V, MCTS

Default NEC and Cisco

Thanks for all your answers. Our NEC Aspire M, with Webpro, system does have Voip and IP cards and have the latest software 6.21. We actually have site to site voip calling between NECs but how do I tie Cisco with it. Sites do not have Cisco gear so h323 will not work unless I can use the h323 (which is part of the NEC)
    I'm ok with SIP for each site.
    Each site has Ip communication through MPLS, and I have remote access to all the PBX programming throught the IP managment card.

NECs were maintained by a contractor who is no longer have a maintenance agreement, so we have to do it our self’s.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    Thanks for all your answers. Our NEC Aspire M, with Webpro, system does have Voip and IP cards and have the latest software 6.21. We actually have site to site voip calling between NECs but how do I tie Cisco with it. Sites do not have Cisco gear so h323 will not work unless I can use the h323 (which is part of the NEC)
    I'm ok with SIP for each site.
    Each site has Ip communication through MPLS, and I have remote access to all the PBX programming throught the IP managment card.

NECs were maintained by a contractor who is no longer have a maintenance agreement, so we have to do it our self’s.
    What type of routers are at the end of your MPLS connections?
    Currently Reading

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R+S, CCNA:R+S, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA:S, CCENT, CNSS 4011
    In a perfect world you would be able to set the NECs up as H.323 gateways and be done with it. The ones that we used wouldn't play nice when going H.323 Cisco -> H.323 NEC, but did work fine going H.323 NEC -> H.323 NEC. Could have been a limitation of the code that we were using - It was a wile ago (and thankfully they have been long since decommissioned!). SiP is an option but you'll really need to play around with the NEC side of the config. I don't remember the details, but they were setup as something odd, like SiP tie lines or something. Best bet would be to get someone involved from NEC for the 1st site, and then replicate the changes that were made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks