+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+ N+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-Voice, CCNA-Security, CCNP: Voice
    after consideration.. i decided to not even touch the psu upgrade path for the hwic.. nor will i get the unity express module right now..

200 for psu new + cable + hwic = 400+ and aim-cue 300-400 .. possible total of 700-800 .. not feeling that right now LOL...

i got some other ideas in mind that may better assist with my studies..

=)

well, i just got bit by the bugg...

just picked up:

3745 256/128
    NM-1FE-2W 2x WIC-1DSU-T1 (cuz i never setup data t1)
    NM-HDV + 3 pvdm12's

converting my 2650xm into a GK. moving my 2811 pstn/frame into a location and setting up the 3745 into the frame/pstn.

gotta love ebay.. all for less than $320
    Last edited by tokhss; 03-14-2011 at 05:20 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R+S, CCNA:R+S, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA:S, CCENT, CNSS 4011
    Quote Originally Posted by tokhss View Post
    well, i just got bit by the bugg...
    Hehehe, just add this to your local hosts file:

174.133.7.131 ebay.com

problem solved
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    LOL.... good one.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Default Save your money

Save your money and just buy the power supplies for the phones instead of running them off the switch poe. The phone power supplies are less than $10.00 ea off Ebay...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyManDude View Post
    Save your money and just buy the power supplies for the phones instead of running them off the switch poe. The phone power supplies are less than $10.00 ea off Ebay...

I dont lab everyday all day.. i get to lab @ home 1-3 days per week and thats when im really home lol. my energy bill is 50 bucks per month.

right now im doing a lot of sip testing so im not really doing a lot with my phones physically. i am routing through a soft client like X-lite .. im gonna redo my network this week and setup a couple sip phones / profiles along side some skinny phones.

at some point, my energy bill will go up but even then. not by much.. and honestly, those bricks are damn ugly, more wires, and more outlets .. meh.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member
    200 for psu new + cable + hwic = 400
    I'm on the same boat as you.

I'm wondering if getting a regular hwic-4esw (non-poe) and wall plugs for two of the phones would suffice. Cost would be about $150 vs $400, but I'm not familiar with the extent of the role the hwic-4esw-poes play for the ccie.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Honest, i just cant do the bricks. Once i enter the CCIE realm, i will buy it then. Dont know why its a must in the CCIE lab either.. ??
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE:2003 / CCNA/A+

Default I use both

The PoE makes the meter spin to fast, but in R/L deployments, most companies use the PoE, so use that just for config practice.

when simply configuring call routing, CSS, I use the bricks.
    Last edited by Jollycork; 03-16-2011 at 11:58 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Member
    Meh, I got tired of looking for deals and just went ahead and purchased the hwic-4esw+2811-ac-ip. I was gonna buy it for my ccie anyways, might as well just buy it now and be done with it.

2 months and $6500 later, my CCIE voice lab is now complete. I had to sell off all my photography equipment to fund it....lame.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    no worries on that.. when your making good money, buy an updated DSLR with all the special lenses your heart desires. lol
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R+S, CCNA:R+S, CCNA:V(IIUC), CCNA:S, CCENT, CNSS 4011
    Quote Originally Posted by IPDirect View Post
    Meh, I got tired of looking for deals and just went ahead and purchased the hwic-4esw+2811-ac-ip. I was gonna buy it for my ccie anyways, might as well just buy it now and be done with it.

2 months and $6500 later, my CCIE voice lab is now complete. I had to sell off all my photography equipment to fund it....lame.
    Yep, it adds up quick! Just think of it as temporarily allocating funds for your career – You should have no problem making your money back should you decide to sell the lab later on down the road.

From what I can gather from the configuration guide (below) only subtle syntax differences between the HWIC-4ESW and a dedicated switch.

Things that stuck out to me:
    1) VLANS are created the old school way (in the vlan database 1st)
    2) Phone ports need to be configured as trunk ports

Of course you can verify this for us now!

Cisco IOS LAN Switching Configuration Guide, Release 12.4T - Cisco HWIC-4ESW and HWIC-D-9ESW EtherSwitch Interface Cards [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.4 T] - Cisco Systems
    Last edited by pitviper; 03-17-2011 at 04:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitviper View Post
    Yep, it adds up quick! Just think of it as temporarily allocating funds for your career – You should have no problem making your money back should you decide to sell the lab later on down the road.

From what I can gather from the configuration guide (below) only subtle syntax differences between the HWIC-4ESW and a dedicated switch.

Things that stuck out to me:
    1) VLANS are created the old school way (in the vlan database 1st)
    2) Phone ports need to be configured as trunk ports

Of course you can verify this for us now!

Cisco IOS LAN Switching Configuration Guide, Release 12.4T - Cisco HWIC-4ESW and HWIC-D-9ESW EtherSwitch Interface Cards [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.4 T] - Cisco Systems

That would be weird if it was done the old way. From my understanding it's supposed to be equivalent to the 3560 but with a slightly different syntax, but I haven't really read much of the literature on it. We will see soon!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    oh damn you CISCO.. why the old way... cant wait to join the HWIC POE party lol -_-
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Member
    cant wait to join the HWIC POE party lol -_-
    Stop spending your money on colored fans and you just might be able to, lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    few bucks wont hold me back.. lol its the pain of the PSU + cable + card just to run poe on the damn router. grrr.. i will just do it during CCIE
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks