+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Thread: CCNP Madness

1. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    A/L/P/S+, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCDP, CCNA R&S/Sec, ACIS ERS 8K & VSP 9K, BS: IT Security
    Well guys, that test was extremely challenging! Thankfully I passed though... Barely. 806. Looks like I'll be starting my SWITCH studies in a few days!
    Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation Goals: Bash Shell/Python Automation Refinement [], CCIE R&S Written [X], AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate (Maybe) [] CCIE R&S Counter: Somewhere between zero and infinity
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CompTIA N+, Win 7, MCITP: SA, MCSA, CCENT, CCNA R&S, JNCIA, JNCIS-ENT, HP ATP V1 & V2, Aruba ACMP, Palo Alto ACE, Citrix CCP-N
    Congrats Wolf best of luck with SWITCH. I am starting with ROUTE now again want try get it before old exams retire
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Congrats on the pass. You seemed to knock Route out pretty quick!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    A/L/P/S+, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCDP, CCNA R&S/Sec, ACIS ERS 8K & VSP 9K, BS: IT Security
    Thank you everyone!

Daniel, I think I put in close to two months for the ROUTE, however I had begin skimming through some of the material multiple times before finishing up the CCNA Security. In addition, it did help to deal with IGPs at work. When I was at work, I had a switch lab setup with ip routing enabled as we couldn't use GNS3. At lunch (Some days), I would go home and study or lab. After work and after the gym, I would allocate time accordingly to the Pomodoro technique (As I would go for two hours and burn out eventually if I didn't pace myself) with my studies. On weekends, I would get a good 8-12 hours over those two days. I was committed as this will probably be the hardest of the three for me.
    Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation Goals: Bash Shell/Python Automation Refinement [], CCIE R&S Written [X], AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate (Maybe) [] CCIE R&S Counter: Somewhere between zero and infinity
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    OK so I had already read through a good 50 pages of the SWITCH book at the end of ROUTE, and had the VLAN videos and VTP videos watched for Chris Bryant's. Just finished up VLANs/VTP in the Simplified book this morning and have finished some of CB's spanning tree videos last night. A LOT more detail and depth on spanning tree than the CCNA, but the foundation makes things a lot easier to understand. Thankfully I currently am dealing with a network using VTPv3 so getting my hands on lab equipment (Even though I have a 3560 with version 15 at home if need be) will be easy. I love VTP mode off!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member mistabrumley89's Avatar

Certifications
    CISSP, CCDP, CCNP R&S, BCNP, CCDA, CCNA R&S/Sec/Voice, BCNE, ITIL:F, CCENT, A/L/N/S+, LPIC-1
    I prefer VTP to be off as well. Usually we just have a baseline we can copy/paste, so worrying about VTP isn't a real issue. Local VLANS FTW.

Oh, and congrats on the pass. The route exam was really really tough. I think you will find SWITCH to be a much smoother ride.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA-DC
    Quote Originally Posted by OfWolfAndMan View Post
    OK so I had already read through a good 50 pages of the SWITCH book at the end of ROUTE, and had the VLAN videos and VTP videos watched for Chris Bryant's. Just finished up VLANs/VTP in the Simplified book this morning and have finished some of CB's spanning tree videos last night. A LOT more detail and depth on spanning tree than the CCNA, but the foundation makes things a lot easier to understand. Thankfully I currently am dealing with a network using VTPv3 so getting my hands on lab equipment (Even though I have a 3560 with version 15 at home if need be) will be easy. I love VTP mode off!
    This will be perfect for you ----> Free Cisco Catalyst Switch Lab

Lab galore! Cheers!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Thank you, Ninjaturtle!

Update: I just completed the videos for all Spanning-Tree concepts (to include Backbonefast, Uplinkfast, Root Guard, Loop Guard, BPDUguard/filter, Portfast, RSTP, PVST, MST, etc). I had never heard about the STP diameter concept before, but found it quite interesting. In addition, I just finished etherchannel this morning, and I believe channel-group 1 mode on will be my universal etherchannel command for the most part. Flex links is also a brand new concept to me, and I'm kinda curious as to when it could be used. It seemed somewhat similar to an FHRP setup, except for the fact FHRP seems it's more appropriate for a L3 switching edge (Or redundant router setup), while flex links seem more appropriate on the downstream switches at the distribution layer on a L2/L3 setup. Labs will be coming soon.

I have actually had my switching lab for a couple of months thankfully, prepping in advance of course. Thanks to Veritas_Libertas and Jahsoul, every switch with the exception of one I got off of Ebay. My topology currently consists of: 1 3560 w/ version 15, 1 3750 with PoE, and 3 2950s. I also have a rack to make things a little more organized
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP
    Flex links is also a brand new concept to me, and I'm kinda curious as to when it could be used.
    It converges faster than RSTP. Like 50 ms vs. 100 ms. So if you need that and also can't use some multi chassis link aggregation technology (though tbh I'm not particularly familiar with MLAG convergence if a link fails - I'm just assuming that it's fast) you could use flex link and deal with the increased complexity of deploying a feature that's pretty obscure and isn't completely plug and play.

Read this: Cisco Flex link | Daniels networking blog
    Then read this series: Flex Links: The Beginning (Part 1/3) | rekrowteN | Networker

I believe channel-group 1 mode on will be my universal etherchannel command for the most part.
    You probably want to use LACP for the most part since it has failsafes built in that the "on" mode doesn't. On is just for forcing the bundle with devices that haven't implemented LACP.
    Last edited by fredrikjj; 08-05-2014 at 09:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    I see where you're coming from now. I didn't see it before, as the redundant link design in the place I work at is between the core and the distribution, not access to distribution.
    You probably want to use LACP for the most part since it has failsafes built in that the "on" mode doesn't. On is just for forcing the bundle with devices that haven't implemented LACP.
    Agreed. Now that you mention it, I remember LACP having a backup for 8 additional ports binding into an etherchannel. Quite efficient.

Update on the studying: Finished the LAN security section in the videos and the book along with the MLS sections. LAN security was a little bit of overview of some of the stuff I learned from CCNA Security (Dynamic ARP inspection, DHCP snooping, port security). A few new things to me were PVLANs (I could find that very useful for security purposes), VLAN ACLs (Which would seem useless of preventing particular users from accessing other users in the same VLAN. Isn't that one of the reasons for VLANs, aside from broadcast segmentation? If you're preventing interVLAN traffic, I could see that.), and a little bit about 802.1x (We use ISE at work, so I am somewhat familiar. Supplicant is a word they love to use over client.). MLS is not a new concept to me, especially the config, but I did learn a few new things in that section too: Fallback bridging (Genius way of bridging IPX/Appletalk without it needing to be routed), a little more detail about CEF, and something that's a flashback from my NA Security studies, the data and control planes. Next week I will be focusing in on FHRPs and hopefully finish up on the smaller sections like Multicast, VoIP, QoS, and Wireless. Depending, I may just finish FHRPs and then go straight into labbing, as I find these last topics a little less broad in this course.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R+S, CCNA:DC, CCNA Security, CCNP R+S, BEng Computer Networking
    Sounds like you are ploughing through the Switch my friend, keep going and your be passed in no time! Passed my Route a couple of weeks ago and started my Switch studies today. Bryant's stuff is excellent
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    So I finished the Chris Bryant vids today. Went over Wireless, voice and video, QoS, multicast, and AAA. By far, the voice I knew some of, but will be overviewing again when reading. I did not care for wireless, multicast, or QoS at all. Wireless was easy to get down (mainly because of the terminology) just dry; but, Multicast and QoS I will need to go over again. I have both the QoS certification guide and deploying IP multicast networks books (Overviewed RPF and pim sparse/dense modes yesterday. Pretty interesting stuff after looking it over a couple times, just new to me), but is there any good videos on these two topics that I should watch? AAA was a refresh from the CCNA Security, so I'm covered on that. Reading up on QoS and voice again tonight and tomorrow. For some reason though the Simplified book doesn't have any Multicast in it. Does anyone know if the OCG or FLG covered it? It very briefly covered IGMP, but that was about it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Well, setup my lab today after the last couple of days finishing up the remaining material. Picture is posted. Unfortunately, I had a couple issues on initial setup. Mainly, I wanted to access the routers over wifi, so I hooked them up to my router, which is supposed to have VLAN support, but I can only get VLAN 1 to work for SVIs to have reachability to the router. I had to upgrade it with DD-WRT firmware and I'm completely new to the program, so I'll get back to fixing that later. For now, just wanna let everyone know I shouldn't be using VLAN 1 as both my native and management VLAN, but it's how it'll be for this lab for now.

Here is my design and layout:
    S1: L3 3560 | 192.168.1.10 | VTP mode server
    S2: L3 3750 | 192.168.1.20 | VTP mode client
    S3: L2 3550 | 192.168.1.30 | VTP mode client
    S4: L2 2950 | 192.168.1.40 | VTP mode client (I will be changing them to transparent when doing a PVLAN lab)
    VLAN design:
    25 User 192.168.2.0/24 Active
    35 Printer 192.168.3.0/24 Active
    45 Administrator 10.0.1.0/24 Active
    60 Server Farm 10.0.2.0/24 Active
    75 Voice 172.16.1.0/24 Active
    1 Management/Native 192.168.0.0/24 Active
    200 Dead N/A Suspend

Spanning Tree mode Rapid PVST
    VTP Version 2
    VTP password SWITCH
    VTP domain OfWolfAndMan
    Login type SSH/Telnet
    Default gateway 192.168.1.10
    DHCP Snooping Vlan 25
    ARP Inspection Vlan 25
    UDLD aggressive Trunk ports
    BPDUguard User Ports
    Switchport nonegotiate All ports
    Portfast All user ports
    Port security sticky All user ports
    Port security aging type/time Inactivity/60
    Source Guard Access ports

More commands to come soon. Gonna turn the switches off for a little bit though. Can't leave it running all day I'll be doing a lot of play with advanced STP tonight. Also if you notice in the topology I am running an LACP etherchannel. FHRPs are not going to be configured on here for now as I want to do it in GNS3 first. I do have an additional port on the back of my router so I could always hook the 3750 in and do some track interfaces and preemption for resiliency to the router. 802.1x commands coming soon as well.

SWITCHlab.jpg
    Last edited by OfWolfAndMan; 08-16-2014 at 11:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Rewriting my notes today from my notebook to a new, more permanent notebook for refreshing all the info and I also decided to give in and get the all access pass for a month at INE and watch the CCIE R&S vids for the topics in the CCNP SWITCH, especially the ones I need to get a few more details out of and verify what I didn't catch the first time. Downloaded Chris Bryant's Mp3 files and listen to them when driving and even when I go to the gym (Unless I'm running or on my top set). Going to do some more labbing with PVLANs, basic multicast and QoS and run an MST instance tonight and tomorrow. If I feel I have those topics down, I will be scheduling my exam for the 26th. Additional labbing near the middle of the week will consist of FHRPs again, SLB, IP SLA, and basic AAA/802.1x setup. Any other lab topics suggested in labbing would be highly appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP
    Any other lab topics suggested in labbing would be highly appreciated.
    All the security features; dynamic ARP inspection, dhcp snooping, vlan ACLs, ip source guard, port security, etc.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Thanks Fredrik. I already labbed all of those with the exception of the VACLs. I'll throw that in there as well. Probably gonna try to use the show commands for those features a couple more times and run a debug. I deal with port security on a daily basis, so I'm not too worried about that one.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Redid most of the rest of my notes, while adding some small details that I missed from the book the first time around. SPAN was not in the Simplified SWITCH book FYI. Either supplement with the FLG or CB's vids (Or INE). I did a little more browsing of the INE videos, and have done a little more labbing. For the last two topics in my notes (Multicast and QoS) I will be going through the QoS exam guide and the deploying IP multicast networks briefly to get an in depth understanding.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    JNCIP,SP, JNCIS-SP, CCNP, VCAP5-DCA, VCP5, MCITP 2008 SA, CCNA
    Thanks Fredrik. I already labbed all of those with the exception of the VACLs. I'll throw that in there as well. Probably gonna try to use the show commands for those features a couple more times and run a debug. I deal with port security on a daily basis, so I'm not too worried about that one.
    VACLS would be a nice addition I didn't see Multicast in the OCG, in fact, out of all the resources, Chris' was the only one covering multicast. For the exam, you should really know the 4 step process:

1) Elect a root bridge
    2) Non root bridges: Elect a root port
    3) Elect designated ports
    4) Ports that are neither a root port or a designated port go into BLK mode

That kind of stuff. The SIMs you can tackle pretty easily. Just know the (R)STP and FHRP concepts cold and you'll be fine.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    Looks like you and I have very similar goals and are working on the same stuff right now. Let me know if you want to ping questions off eachother. TomTom and I did that and I found it helpful. I will be sitting for the exam about the same time as well.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Thanks TomTom! Daniel, I will definitely hit you up! I feel I may take the test a little early, though. Check your PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    JNCIP,SP, JNCIS-SP, CCNP, VCAP5-DCA, VCP5, MCITP 2008 SA, CCNA
    Thanks TomTom! Daniel, I will definitely hit you up! I feel I may take the test a little early, though. Check your PM.
    Give me a go too, since I still need to pass TSHOOT
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtom1 View Post
    Give me a go too, since I still need to pass TSHOOT
    Okay! I will shoot you a PM too.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    Well guys, been deep into study and doing some labs. Making sure my MLS, VACLs, SWITCH security and playing with STP features and some PVLANs. I have also had plenty of quizzing from my buddy TomTom (Testing him as well as he'll be taking the TSHOOT soon). Finishing up overviewing my notes today, and the test is tomorrow. Once I'm done with SWITCH though, I'm getting rid of a couple of the 2950s so I can setup other lab devices I.e. an ASA or maybe since I want a Junos router, one of those.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    I hate that no matter how ready I feel for a test, I always walk in with that tension, but thankfully... I passed! Not the score I wanted, but I'll take it. 868. Since I have my WGU term starting next week, I'll probably read through most of the TSHOOT stuff this weekend (I have the FLG), and then will lab next week, depending on how much I'll need to put into class. I guess that NAT and DHCP configurations are good for a refresh? I am going to make a massive topology in the next few days. It's gonna be massive (It'll be like the one on the Cisco website, but maybe bigger). They'll be all the good stuff. Routing protocols, redistribution, MLS, IPSec tunnel, NAT, DHCP, Frame Relay, and some PBR. Any other advice would be appreciated!

Also, I know this is kind of random, but for any of those GNS3 noobs (Or people who want to get special features working), I have a powerpoint with setting up GNS3 from scratch, getting routers working, installing Junos, ASA, VPCS, Nexus 7000 with Virtualbox integration and running Wireshark captures all in one place. If anyone wants a copy of it, I'll be happy to post it here (Not a copy of the software though. You'll have to obtain that yourself).
    Last edited by OfWolfAndMan; 08-27-2014 at 07:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks