+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CCDA, CCNA: Security, CCNA: R&S, MTA: Networking Fundamentals, Security+, Network+, Linux+, A+, Project+
    I will!

I finished Chapter 6. However, I am going to NY this weekend to open up a new office. It should be a good chance to put a dent into this thing, but we'll see.

I need to rebuild my lab because that DMVPN lab I have for work uses OSPF, and that is what Chapter 7 is on. I am going to go ahead and strip all CCNP stuff off of that DMVPN lab and build a stand-alone lab with 3 2811's today. Should not be too hard, I hope the correct IOS is already on them. Next week I am going to try to figure out the last little bit of this DMVPN lab.

The route filtering stuff is good. It will be good for me to get to the BGP section and learn a bunch. It's different, but in a similiar idea I know we are pushing traffic out the side with the Riverbed (anyone ever use these things???) at the distribution layer, and then at the edge doing something else to load balance out.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CCDA, CCNA: Security, CCNA: R&S, MTA: Networking Fundamentals, Security+, Network+, Linux+, A+, Project+
    Ended up taking off all CCNP stuff out of my DMVPN work lab and then saving the config to flash. Started fresh with the same topology but am using the switch as layer 2 now and no longer using the cable between R3 and the SW (but it is still there). This will work well. On to chapter 7.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    Started Chapter 7. I need to begin getting a faster pace I think though. It's going good but still I could do more.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    Done chapter 7, onto chapter 8. Not a lot of labbing going on in Chapter 7, but I did mess with the hello/dead timers and debug to see them fail and the mismatch notifications come through. A good reminder of a lot of OSPF things I forgot in that chapter though.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Chapter 8 almost done and almost half way thru the book. Spent a good amount of time understanding all the show commands in the chapter. I was doing something wrong in my lab and had a different OSPF process for each area, not sure why. Was causing issues but me and my buddy worked through it. Going well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    Done Chapter 8. Onto Chapter 9.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Nearly done Chapter 9, will finish tomorrow. Going to start watching videos of the previous chapters as I continue on through the book since I'm over half way done.

Labbed the stub areas and saw what happened to the routing tables after they were configured. The LSA types make a ton of sense now. Also did the route filtering and prefix filtering, which I had a little issue on but it was good to see. I had a loopback at 12.0.0.0/8 and was trying to prevent that from being advertised into another area, but because it's a loopback it was reallly being advertised as 12.0.0.1/32 and I was not blocking it. Denying 12.0.0.1/32 or 12.0.0.0/8 le 32 fixed that issue. It's been really good stuff.

My plan going forward is to keep reading and making up my own labs as I go along while watching videos from previous chapters. I think when I get to the end with the routing protocol authentication stuff, I'll go ahead and re-lab everything I've done so far (but not as in depth) as a quick refresher and go over all my notes and go take the test. I think the end of March is still a good deadline.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    I am completely done with Chapter 9 and on to the (very long) Chapter 10. I re-read all of my notes today as well. I feel very comfortable with everything so far (admit I am weak on IPv6 still but did lab some of it at end of Chapter 9). I have actually done redistribution but I must not know much if there is that much dedicated to it lol.

My plan was to start the CBT nuggets today. I am unsure of my plan though. I was going to start from the beginning and continue to read Chapters 10-17, and by the time I finished that I would be caught up to date on the videos for previous chapters and then watch those. But maybe it makes more sense to watch the videos for upcoming chapters and revisit older ones later?

I might re-do this lab tomorrow as well and get it ready again and throw in a 4th router. I would then just reconfigure OSPF and do NSSAs I guess and use EIGRP elsewhere. I just have prefix list and stuff going on right now, so I need to get rid of those so they do not create confusion. It will really hammer in OSPF and EIGRP again though and get me feeling really solid about it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    Stripping all the OSPF route filtering from my lab and adding an EIGRP area since I am starting Chapter 10 today - which is route redistribution. Watched CBT nuggets videos on DMVPN/GRE, and the IPv6/RIPng video.

Also, I finally got back to my DMVPN lab at work and have figured out a solution/migration path to the new design. It will work 100% during the migration process and we will have a true 100+ site DMVPN environment.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    Chapter10.jpg Here is my new lab set up for Chapter 10 and beyond. The ISP cloud is really just the 3650 switch, and it looks a little unpractical with the EIGRP 100 area in between R1 and R2, but without adding more equipment this serves the same purpose.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, JNCIA-Junos
    Hi Hurricane,

I also started my CCNP recently, I recently completed my masters degree and am still looking for a job. I am into chapter 8 now. Will keep n touch all the best.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    Good luck, you should join the Google Hangout for here! I am still on Chapter 10 - half way thru. I am on Video 6 out of the 38 on CBT nuggets, and will finish a few today hopefully.

I am busy at work once again with this DMVPN lab. I am trying to get the zone based firewalls to work. We *could* create a 100ish line long ACL for inbound internet traffic (allowing each hub site's public IP) OR we could get this ZBF to work and only allow ISAKMP traffic in from any host. Which should be secure since you're not going to be able to form a tunnel with us. I am struggling with this though. ZBF were talked about on the CCNA Security but I have never done it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, JNCIA-Junos
    woaaaw, man you do a lot of stuff..!! Yes i have read the CCNA security book and never had a chance to take the old exam. I am about to complete the chapter 8 and will catch up with you by the end of the week may be ..! I am jobless so couldn't pay for nuggets so I bought bryant's bootcamp on udemy. Done with EIgrp and most of the OSPF videos in there. Sure, Thanks I will send you a PM with my email address to join the hangout session.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member

Certifications
    I'm fortunate that my boss designed such a good network and I get to work on projects like the one I am currently working on honestly. I started out here doing all the IOS upgrades, do a lot of the new circuit cutovers, and recently opened up a new office and began re-designing our DMVPN environment. It was really just a constant progression. About the CCNA Security, I only really started to study for it because I knew I was going to go back to school and get my BS from WGU, and it would transfer in. So I studied for it and then took it like the first week I started WGU. It honestly was not very valuable. Any ZBF knowledge I got out of it is mostly gone, and no one uses CCP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    Finally done Chapter 10 just about (like 3 pages left). Very time consuming and difficult labbing everything. I changed my topology a bit and made an OSPF area NSSA and was getting frustrated with a redistributed route not coming in. I eventually realized that it was a type 5 LSA from the router that would be forwarding along the information, because it was learned originally from a router that was redistributing into a normal OSPF area. Now, I went and redistributed from the NSSA router and it created a type 7 LSA.

Half the stuff I lab I swear is not practical, I really wonder where some of this stuff comes into play. I would be surprised I guess.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricane1091 View Post
    Half the stuff I lab I swear is not practical, I really wonder where some of this stuff comes into play. I would be surprised I guess.
    Probably in the CCIE lab is where they hit you with a bunch of 'gotchas'. For CCNP these workbooks purpose is that they over-prepare you so that when you get to the real exam, the basic stuff on the exam is a walk in the park.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by koz24 View Post
    Probably in the CCIE lab is where they hit you with a bunch of 'gotchas'. For CCNP these workbooks purpose is that they over-prepare you so that when you get to the real exam, the basic stuff on the exam is a walk in the park.
    I believe you for sure. On the CCIE lab they probably ask the craziest stuff that you'll probably never see in your life.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, JNCIA-Junos
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricane1091 View Post
    I believe you for sure. On the CCIE lab they probably ask the craziest stuff that you'll probably never see in your life.
    LOL, cant stop laughing..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member

Certifications
    I have no idea what they ask but even in the CCNP book they propose scenarios you likely won't see (but could). Like when you have RIP redistributed into EIGRP redistributed into OSPF and then run into routing issues due to AD. That makes sense, but I could go my entire life and never actually encounter that.

Anyways, starting Chapter 11 and working through the CBT EIGRP videos. Progress continues slowly.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    I finished Chapter 11 and some more EIGRP videos in the CBT nuggets series. On to Chapter 12 and some more EIGRP videos. Definitely wants Chapter 12 and the EIGRP videos done this week. That should be no problem. If I start Chapter 13 and the OSPF videos, then this is a great week. Once I finish OSPF videos and the BGP chapters, I'll really be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Labbed the IP SLA stuff today which was not a problem because we are already doing that stuff and I have seen it before. Messed around with PBR and did an instance of it in my lab, nothing crazy. I feel good so far. I think I'll review everything in my notes once I finish Chapter 12 and EIGRP videos before going forward.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    I gave a demo of my DMVPN + NHRP + ZBF design today at work and it was a success. Have some small things to work through and then come up with a finalized implementation plan to roll out across 100+ sites, but I feel good about how it is going.

Going to do Chapter 12 today and hopefully finish the EIGRP videos.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    I did Chapter 12 during lunch, will try to finish EIGRP videos tonight. Chapter 12 should of been fast but I was being stupid and could not get NAT to work, and then realized it was because traffic was going thru the GRE tunnel. So, it was simple after that.

I also observed that if you do not put "overload" at the end of your nat configuration, but send multiple packets out, it seems to just add that command in there. It seems odd, and if anyone reads this I am hoping for an explanation.

It could also occur as a result of identifying an ACL instead of an IP address actually - which could make more sense. Interesting stuff you observe doing this sometimes.
    Last edited by hurricane1091; 02-09-2016 at 07:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    Going to starter Chapter 13, which is BGP (along with Chapter 14). This is something I basically know very little about so I foresee it being slow and painful. OSPF videos are also in the queue.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    I am going to finish Chapter 13 today. I had to add a 4th router to my lab. 2 to mimic internal routers in the same AS, and two for separate ISPs in different ASs. This is close to our production environment. I'm going into this with basically minimal knowledge except how to map neighbors. I'll probably stop the videos for now as my lab has just been completely re-wired. Easier to finish book and then watch rest of the videos and read notes and re-lab some stuff.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    No progress made unfortunately. Fell really under the weather but going to try and get back at it tomorrow. March 26 is my goal still I'm thinking if that is available.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 First 12 34 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks