+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CCDA, CCNA: Security, CCNA: R&S, MTA: Networking Fundamentals, Security+, Network+, Linux+, A+, Project+
    I'm alive again but not 100%. I built a terminal server and hooked my lab up to that since it's up to 5 pieces of equipment now and probably will just continue to grow. I need to finish Chapter 13 tomorrow and get on Chapter 14. I want the entire book done and labbed by March 4, then I'll resume the videos and re-read notes and re-lab it all and hopefully be good to go.

My lab is set up to logically have 2 separate ISPs, each with 1 link back to the "HQ" routers who are running iBGP with each other. This should be a useful setup...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S, CCDA, CCNA: Security, CCNA: R&S, MTA: Networking Fundamentals, Security+, Network+, Linux+, A+, Project+
    Done Chapter 13. I actually knew some stuff from turning up new circuits. Chapter 14 will be big and then I'll really need to hone in and focus. I predict Chapter 14 will be a lot of labbing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    Working through Chapter 14. Ran into an issue in my lab when trying to use the loopback IP as the update source and neighbor IP. The "allowedas-in" command is needed but not 100% grasping it yet. A lot of these concepts are not totally hard to figure out since we are doing them at work.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    I am not liking this loopback idea. I am seeing obvious problems here when I do a "show ip bgp" and something isn't totally kosher with this lab. I've tried researching and end up on CCIE blogs.

Like, I obviously DON'T want to see multiple routes to my own loopback address. I cannot even fathom where this would truly come in hand to be fair. Definitely not in the environment I have set up in my lab, nor our work environment really. If a link between iBGP peers fails, it's not the end of the world to be fair. The best path may suffer but as long as a default route to the ISP exists, it will still make its way out.

There probably is a benefit though in large production environments - I do not doubt it. I am just unaware/unexposed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Nearly done chapter 14. Taking forever. Learned a lot though. Did some good lab work influencing the routes with local preference and weight but I was already somewhat familiar with that from work. Added synchronization to my lab and watched it fail which was interesting. Tried to look into why this once was a necessary/desired function but got a little lost. Did some good route filtering too. I said I had no knowledge of BGP but the correct answer I guess is that I had no knowledge of how BGP actually worked. I did set up our ASR MPLS routers that run BGP and cleaned up ACLs for route filtering. We utilize local preference on them and I went back and checked out some stuff (a lot of it was just copy-paste from the MPLS routers I was replacing with ASRs).

I'm getting a lot of this but I'm getting tired as well. I end up going very deep into our own network, which is indeed complex and sophisticated.

Tomorrow I need to get back to my DMVPN lab and make certificate based authentication work. I have a concern with it as one of our sites only has a primary circuit, and my concern is once I change the ISAKMP profile to use certificate authentication instead of PSK, the tunnel will drop and it won't be able to the CA (I am not planning on us using the DMVPN hub as a CA in production). I am assuming if I enroll with the CA while PSKs are being used then I will be good. For all other sites, they can reach the CA over the primary MPLS circuit. This is a major change with over 100+ branches, it needs to be well thought out (in addition to the DMVPN redesign rollout).

Anyways, I am seeing the light at the end of this tunnel. I am going to try to finish the book next week, then burn through the rest of the videos and re-read my notes and lab anything up again I'm weak at. Maybe even skim thru the book once more.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    Current plan is to finish the book this week, and hopefully finishing the videos next week. Need to get note cards to remember stuff like OSPF LSA types, EIGRP K values, etc. Still eyeing March 26 but we'll see. I feel reasonably good so far.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Done chapter 16, on to 17. Chapter 16 was not bad, I've had SSH set up in my lab so that was nothing new. We do VTY access management at work as well and AAA, so nothing crazy there. I'm going to begin the videos where I left off once I am done the book this week, and then definitely go back and re-lab stuff.

Notes to myself:

Make note cards - reference things like LSA types, E1 vs E2 routes, EIGRP K values, etc. I know I need to be 100% with those things for the exam, and it is something easy to forget.

Re-lab: IPv6, just generally pretty weak on it still. Need to practice route filtering more for EIGRP and OSPF. Good with ACLs and route maps (due to work) but not so good with Prefix Lists. Need to go back and understand CEF more to refresh, and re-lab redistribution but I feel good with it. March 26 remains the target still.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    March 26 is not available at any locations near me in NJ. There's a place I've gone to in PA that has it, but it's a rough area and I always get confused driving there. Going to see if my boss will let me leave work early during the last week of the month some time to go take it near my house.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    Done the book! Reloaded an old lab from the redistribution chapter to do the authentication stuff. Was already familiar with BGP authentication.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    Finishing Chapter 9 review today. Have been making flash cards and relabbing stuff along the way. Will finish reviewing notes and videos by next week, then begin just flash card cramming and hopefully taking the exam 3/31.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    Working through Chapter 11 in my notes now and watching the videos on it. Spent a ton of time re-labbing stuff in chapter 10. Realized I had a lot of confusion with stub area types. I worked through a lot of them but still slightly confused. I don't understand why this NSSA doesn't change the type 7 and send it as a type 5 to another OSPF area that is not configured as any type of stub. Is this normal? I feel like it should get it.

Not officially scheduled, but I should be taking the test 3/31. I feel pretty good, been working through some sample questions and my flash cards.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    The exam is scheduled for 3/31. I hope to finish review this week, then just cram whatever is necessary early next week via my notecards. I'll continue to lab-lab-lab as I review.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    Passed with a 904/1000. Not sure why BGP was 2 large chapters in the book. Spent a ton of time on them, can't say it was worth it for the test though. OSPF + EIGRP + BGP make up over half the book but definitely not half the test. Typical Cisco.

Thoughts - Exam was not terribly hard. Questionable choice of question topics and wording, like most Cisco exams. I do not think this exam is a fair indication of someone's actual engineering ability. Once I pass the three tests, the paper is what is valuable, but the value was in the hard studying and labbing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricane1091 View Post
    Passed with a 904/1000. Not sure why BGP was 2 large chapters in the book. Spent a ton of time on them, can't say it was worth it for the test though. OSPF + EIGRP + BGP make up over half the book but definitely not half the test. Typical Cisco.

Thoughts - Exam was not terribly hard. Questionable choice of question topics and wording, like most Cisco exams. I do not think this exam is a fair indication of someone's actual engineering ability. Once I pass the three tests, the paper is what is valuable, but the value was in the hard studying and labbing.

Congrats! You may have mentioned it, but have you already done SWITCH?

I have heard lots of similar comments regarding the topics.
    Studying CCNP Route.

CCNP Switch passed, 12/10/2015
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    Thank you. I have not done switch yet. The book is much shorter, so I'm hoping it doesn't take me that long. This took 4 months. I did a lot of labbing. I have a vacation in May and I need to go to VA for work next month, so there's going to be interruptions in studying. I'm not really in a rush, but I'd like to have switch and T-shoot done before the end of summer. I want to get the CCDA and CCDP afterwords and then maybe finally take a breather, but I doubt it. I don't know what else to do but study for things. It's always paid off so it's always been worth it. I got into IT 3 years ago and got into network engineering a year ago, so I'm just trying to learn and do as much as possible to get to Sr. Engineer and a pay bump. I'm reasonably fortunate in the type of job I have I think. I'm only 24 and still new but do all kinds of stuff most probably do not get to do this soon. I re-designed the DMVPN environment as has been noted (adding Zone Based Firewalls, VRFs, cert authentication and making it a true dynamic environment because it is not right now). Actually working with the Windows guys tomorrow to get a Windows CA spun up, throwing this lab on the network, and making it work with the windows CA. Once that is done, I'll come up with an official strategy and probably get this implementation started soon. It's not a pressing thing though and only really gets worked on in spare time. I have a new office to open up and have to configure that gear next week and finish the diagrams. The voice team is trying to implement remote expert too and there's a lot of network stuff that has to go into it from my side. Will finally get to work with load balancers. I had to pass ROUTE today, I'm going to be really busy for the next week or two.
    Last edited by hurricane1091; 04-01-2016 at 02:47 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    SWITCH can be tough, it really depends on how much Switching experience you have. I do a ton of Switch stuff day to day so I was able to pass it studying it only leisurely over the course of a couple months.
    Studying CCNP Route.

Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    I don't do alot of switching. But, I need to set up RPVST for that new office I mentioned, so that will be something. Familiar with HSRP since we're doing that as well. I just don't really do the stuff on a daily basis but with me doing this new office it's kind of good timing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    Getting ready to start SWITCH. Any suggestions for a lab? I have 3650s and 3560s available to me. I'll probably use the 3560s due to smaller form factor. I have 3 stacked up and ready to go, should I add more (or use 3650s instead) and do I want a router added?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricane1091 View Post
    Getting ready to start SWITCH. Any suggestions for a lab? I have 3650s and 3560s available to me. I'll probably use the 3560s due to smaller form factor. I have 3 stacked up and ready to go, should I add more (or use 3650s instead) and do I want a router added?
    3 switches is enough but 4 is better. No need for a router.
    Studying CCNP Route.

Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by shortstop20 View Post
    3 switches is enough but 4 is better. No need for a router.
    Thanks for your help! I am going to set it up today hopefully, erase whatever config is on them and load up the same 15.x IOS across the board. Hopefully start studying soon.

I spent last night watching videos on basic VoIP concepts since I'm tired of being completely clueless on how it works. Have a decent understanding now finally. Also watched a video on Riverbed Steelheads and talked to my boss about it. Logged in and saw some configuration on it. Trying to extend my range of knowledge a bit.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    These things are plugged in and ready to go. Cleared the config and set up some basic config to begin. They are running 12.x, which should be fine. I don't think I need to take the time to put 15.x code on them.

So it begins, studying for the SWITCH exam. My goal is by the middle of July, but we'll see about that. I have a week of vacation + work trips mixed in, but hopefully that doesn't slow me down too much.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Senior Member

Certifications
    Finished Chapter 1 today, so I guess you can say it's fully begun. Fun times.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    I want to say that we definitely have a modular hierarchical design, especially from HQ to our DC. But in one part it's not a collapsed core, but the access layer is also the distribution layer and connects to the core. What is that called???
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    Finished chapter 3. Haven't really learned/done a lot yet but that will change I am sure.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    Okay, well I was away for work and then vacation. Back to the spanning tree chapters.

#draggingthisoutforever
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks