+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xnx View Post
    CCNP is worthless without experience, I'm currently getting certs for other vendors my company requires and then doing T-Shoot, by which time i'll have near a year in a actual NE role.
    What is exactly worthless about it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. xnx

Certifications
    BSc IT & CSc, CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S + Other vendor certs..
    You're not going to get a CCNP level job with no experience, but you can move up in a CCNA job after a while with a CCNP.
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP: R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalJay View Post
    What is exactly worthless about it?
    Nothing. Go for the CCNP if you are doing it for the knowledge. Getting a CCNP and then applying for CCNP-level jobs which state 3-5 years experience is the mistake. Just know that sometimes, it may count against you as companies might see you as over-qualified for an entry-level position. Still, I think getting CCNP is worth it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    SilentBreakSecurity - DarkSideOps, CISSP, CCDP, CCNP R/S, CCNP Security (Secure, FW) , C|EH , PA ACE
    Education is never a mistake no matter how you try to flip it trying to "believe" you understand how a hiring manager thinks, let alone how HR screens candidates.

CCNA>CCNP should be given at least 1.5-2yrs depending if you have zero experience or prior knowledge in networking. Some people including myself spent a year on CCNA because networking was so foreign and I failed it 2 times and passed on my third. The materials back then were different than today.
    2017 Goals: Dark Side OPS: Custom Pentesting (complete), eCPPT (in progress), LFCS (in progress), OSCP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by koz24 View Post
    Nothing. Go for the CCNP if you are doing it for the knowledge. Getting a CCNP and then applying for CCNP-level jobs which state 3-5 years experience is the mistake. Just know that sometimes, it may count against you as companies might see you as over-qualified for an entry-level position. Still, I think getting CCNP is worth it.
    Im definitely doing it for the knowledge. I'm only 26 and have a lot of time in front of me. I'm not in a huge rush to be near the top anytime soon. If people are applying for entry level Net+ or CCNA but have a CCNP, they would leave that off their resume?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisone View Post
    Education is never a mistake no matter how you try to flip it trying to "believe" you understand how a hiring manager thinks, let alone how HR screens candidates.

CCNA>CCNP should be given at least 1.5-2yrs depending if you have zero experience or prior knowledge in networking. Some people including myself spent a year on CCNA because networking was so foreign and I failed it 2 times and passed on my third. The materials back then were different than today.
    How much is the CCNA? And do they allow a retake if you fail or is the MS only?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Im definitely doing it for the knowledge. I'm only 26 and have a lot of time in front of me. I'm not in a huge rush to be near the top anytime soon. If people are applying for entry level Net+ or CCNA but have a CCNP, they would leave that off their resume?
    I don't think you can get a non-intern job as a N+ or CCENT these days. Most "entry-level" for professionals start at CCNA. If you are a CCNP with no experience you will have to explain why. The best explanation, imo, is you wanted the knowledge and went out of your way to lab to make up for the lack of hands on.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by koz24 View Post
    I don't think you can get a non-intern job as a N+ or CCENT these days. Most "entry-level" for professionals start at CCNA. If you are a CCNP with no experience you will have to explain why. The best explanation, imo, is you wanted the knowledge and went out of your way to lab to make up for the lack of hands on.
    What job titles can a CCNA get you? Network admin, anything else?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE R/S
    Quote Originally Posted by xnx View Post
    You're not going to get a CCNP level job with no experience, but you can move up in a CCNA job after a while with a CCNP.
    your spot on with this.

There is no way I would want to hire a ccnp without any years of real world experience. There is something to having the book knowledge but actual environmental applications of such knowledge.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    What job titles can a CCNA get you? Network admin, anything else?
    People on this forum have gotten "Network Administrator" with no CCNA. Titles don't mean a thing in my opinion. Some places a "Network Administrator" is someone with 1-2 years experience in Cisco, some with 3-5 experience, others with Microsoft and VMWare experience. I've even seen "Network System Administrator" where they want you to know Cisco, Microsoft, AND VMware! Titles don't mean a damn thing!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:DC, CCNP:DC, CCNA:DC, CCDA, VCP:DCV, VCP:NV, JNCIA-JUNOS
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkNewb View Post
    GTFO! one week? that is insane.

It was a VERY long week (reading Odom's book on train, in bed, etc, then labbing all day at office), and got me job in Kuwait at a nice pay raise, so it was for a reason. I'm too old to do that again though

Oh, and to be clear, this wasn't CCNA in one week with no experience. This was CCNA in one week with 8 years in IT focused on systems, but in JOAT roles that exposed me to networking/firewalls/etc. I don't want to oversell what I did.
    Last edited by joelsfood; 01-28-2016 at 09:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Woohoo! It's over 1000!

Certifications
    RHCSA, Linux+, ACSA, ACTC, ACSP, MCSA:7, MCTS, ITIL F, Prince2 Pract, AgilePM Practioner, VCP-DCV, Storage+, CCNA R+S, CCNA Sec, Security+, CEH, CASP
    So, there's a local collegey Cisco academy thing near me. They do CCNP R&S + CCNA Sec + CCNA Collab + CCNA Wireless fulltime in 18 weeks. They assume a decent IT background, though as well as CCNA Route and Switch. They also offer the CCNA R&S part time over 12 months.

That course is quite good, though, because you will get lots of hands on with actual equipment so you aren't just a "paper" CCNP.

I think that the courses work out at about 40 hours per unit, but the CCNA is twice as long because it assumes you are starting from scratch. Which would mean 7 weeks is the fastest you could do it this way - in theory.
    2017 Goals - MCSA 2008, CISSP, CCNP:R+S, Agile PM
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, N+, CCENT, CCNA
    Well first I would like to point out that if you have a desktop support position then you aren't exactly starting from 0 . You are far better off and have a lot more knowledge than someone without any IT experience. Next nobody can really tell you how long and how much effort it will take. Back in college I used to study 1 - 2 hours per bio test and got mostly A's and the person sitting next to me would spend 8+ hours studying and get B's and C's. My point here is it all depends on how fast you learn, how well you can retain information, and how long you study. I would say someone with two years of desktop support could take anywhere from one to three years to land their CCNP (based on my CCNP training so far and study material).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks