+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    Several (ITIL, Avaya, ShoreTel, Cisco)
    Yes, change the MAC on your PC to the one of your laptop and try again. Make sure you have your laptop powered off while you're testing.

Very curious about the result.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [ ] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [ ] CCNP Route 300-101 [ ] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC_Addy View Post
    What router are you using?
    It's a modem/router provided by my ISP. I believe its an Arris dg1670
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by negru_tudor View Post
    Yes, change the MAC on your PC to the one of your laptop and try again. Make sure you have your laptop powered off while you're testing.

Very curious about the result.
    Okay will do! I'll post the results tonight
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    Here are the pictures of wireshark when I go to download virtualbox. Same issue when trying to download Steam for games.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSc (Hons) Computer Science, A+, Network+, Security+, DCSE, MCP, CCENT, CCNA.
    I can't see those screenshots, unfortunately. They're too small.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member
    In the very last picture it says Who has 192.168.0.1? Tell 192.168.0.6. I'm .3 on my network. Could this be the issue?

Also I don't have the option to change the MAC to my laptops MAC? I believe I'm in the right spot.Untitled11.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    How would I make the images readable?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalJay View Post
    In the very last picture it says Who has 192.168.0.1? Tell 192.168.0.6. I'm .3 on my network. Could this be the issue?

Also I don't have the option to change the MAC to my laptops MAC? I believe I'm in the right spot.Attachment 8272
    That is what's known as an ARP request/reply and it is perfectly normal on a network.
    Studying CCNP Route.

CCNP Switch passed, 12/10/2015
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA:S, CCNA, CCENT, CCNP:R&S,MECP, A+, Network+, Security+, Network Security Diploma
    If other computers download fine on your network and its isolated to just the Asus MB I would just open up a RMA with Asus. Your just chasing ghosts at this point.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member

Certifications
    Odd thing is that he can download fine through a VPN client..
    2017-2018 goals:
    [ ] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA:S, CCNA, CCENT, CCNP:R&S,MECP, A+, Network+, Security+, Network Security Diploma
    I would be curious to see if you put the modem into "transparent bridge mode" and connected a small router behind it with just NAT enabled. A lot of ISPs are cracking down on Bittorrent's and maybe the modem is throttling on that Mac address. Just a theory. Might be worth buying a Intel PCI-E nic card and tossing it in. He is in so deep now that he almost has to fix it or die trying, lol
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    Agreed. I've seen this once where a guy I knew in college got one of his MAC addresses banned by the ISP for some stupid things he did. Needless to say, changing the MAC on the NIC allowed him to work around that ban. Can't say I've ever encountered this sort of action from an ISP in any other occasion though.

The "transparent" mode might help alleviate this issue but the problem with this approach is that some of these modems have modified firmware and ISPs intentionally remove this feature as they don't officially support this sort of deployment. Even if you flip the modem into "transparent" mode there's still some toying around with the NAT router to get PPPoE configured right...a lot of variables to juggle with.

@TechnicalJay: try this MAC Address in Windows: Change, Lookup, Spoofing
    2017-2018 goals:
    [ ] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, BCNE, CCNA, CCNA Sec, MCSA2k8, IPv6 Silver
    post the .pcap instead of images
    2017 - CCIE RS
    Labbing, labbing, labbing.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Happiness is !!!!! MAC_Addy's Avatar

Certifications
    BSc (Hons) Computer Science, A+, Network+, Security+, DCSE, MCP, CCENT, CCNA.
    Agreed. I've seen this once where a guy I knew in college got one of his MAC addresses banned by the ISP for some stupid things he did. Needless to say, changing the MAC on the NIC allowed him to work around that ban.
    Does the MAC address leave the internal network? Unless the ISP is controlling the modem/router.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC_Addy View Post
    Does the MAC address leave the internal network? Unless the ISP is controlling the modem/router.
    The ISP would never see the MAC address of the client unless it was plugged directly into the ISP modem.

Of course, it's quite possible they just banned the MAC address of his router and he changed the MAC to get back on. Regardless, MAC addresses are local to the subnet, they don't cross a L3 boundary.
    Studying CCNP Route.

CCNP Switch passed, 12/10/2015
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member
    Agreed. I've seen this once where a guy I knew in college got one of his MAC addresses banned by the ISP for some stupid things he did. Needless to say, changing the MAC on the NIC allowed him to work around that ban. Can't say I've ever encountered this sort of action from an ISP in any other occasion though.

The "transparent" mode might help alleviate this issue but the problem with this approach is that some of these modems have modified firmware and ISPs intentionally remove this feature as they don't officially support this sort of deployment. Even if you flip the modem into "transparent" mode there's still some toying around with the NAT router to get PPPoE configured right...a lot of variables to juggle with.

@TechnicalJay: try this MAC Address in Windows: Change, Lookup, Spoofing
    Thanks I'll try this when I get home

What will be interesting is that I'm moving Feb 3 and getting will be getting a new connection so if I can't get this fixed by then we'll see if it really is my computer or something to do with the connection at my current place. If it's the same problem at the new place I'll buy another MOBO and report the results
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    @MAC_Addy: his PC was plugged straight into the ISP router which they had full control of. He would use a dial-up network connection on his desktop to authenticate his machine with the carrier. Happened a couple of years ago (around 8 or 9).

Not sure how the OPs modem/router operates. Guess the .pcap would be best or at least some readable screenshots.

@TechnicalJay: if you plug a crossover cable between your laptop and this PC, can you confirm you're able to move files from the PC to the laptop? Guess since the VPN client worked for you this should as well..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Junior Member
    Did you try dropping your MTU like I suggested?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks