+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CCNP Switch

1. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA

Default CCNP Switch

Going to throw my hat in the ring for CCNP. I have had my CCNA for two years now. My job consist of me doing 50% help desk 50% networking duties. My networking duties consist of mostly all switching related stuff. Vlans, trunks, STP. HSRP, dhcp snooping, snmp, ntp, acl’s etc.

I am starting out with switch, since it is what I know best. I have studied for switch in the past, but life happens.

My work purchases Stormwind training (not my choice). That comes with boson netsim, and boson Exams. I have already taken the class. It was 2 hours a day for 8 days online. I wasn’t that impressed. While it was nice to have a live person to ask questions, the class felt lacking and did not provide very many examples or best practices.

I also have bought ITproTV subscription, it was half off and I could not afford INE on my own. I also have a Safari books online subscription. I think Kevin Wallace’s videos are the most informative.

I am just about done with section 1.6 Configure and verify spanning tree part of the blue print. This puts me about 50% though the blue print.

I hope to sit for the exam in 6 to 8 weeks. I will let you know how it goes.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA
    Well after a year of going back and forth between going for the CCNA security or CCNP Switch, I PASSED Switch.

It seemed stressful. First I was already to go on Monday, then the testing center cancelled my exam, I got the email 6 hours before my test. I had to then spend 45 minutes on the phone with Pearson VUE, trying to get it rescheduled. I was able to finally get Pearson to approve to test the next day.

The test was pretty hard, I had 10 minutes left when I was done. I believe one sim took me at least 30 minutes I am not sure how they weigh the questions, because I thought I failed. I actually bombed infrastructure services. I am pretty sure I nailed the Sims, so they must be worth a lot of points. I had no issues or bugs with any of the sims. NEtsim helped a lot, it gave me a lot of scenarios I do not see at work. I also used CBTnuggets, which was a hard sell to my boss.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA:R&S, VCA6-DCV, Sec+
    congrats on the pass

Which study aid were the most helpful for you?

Any tips you'd like to give for someone following your path?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA
    Netsim was really helpful. I also found the cisco 3750config pdf from cisco website very helpful. I bounced back and forth between CBTNuggets and Chris Bryant videos. Also I really think the Safari book subscription is worth the money. You get access to a lot information with the safari subscription.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    thanks for the reply.

have started studying ROUTE yet?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA
    Putting Route off for until Winter. At work I have some new projects going on, personal side my wife has a baby on the way. Have you started Switch?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    yes i have started studying. my studying has been mostly on again/ off again.

I've watched some videos, read the ocg and some of flg. But, I need to do serious studying now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    Switch is a horrible exam. The wording of the questions is something else
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks