+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member Registered Member

Default Next step after CCNP R&S?

I received my CCNP R&S back in September. I'm wondering what I should work on next. I have 23 years working with Cisco products. I would love to move on to CCIE R&S, but money is pretty tight right now. I may be able to get my work to pay for additional certifications, but I'm not sure CCIE is a possibility there. I'm thinking about CCNA specializations, specifically Data Center, Security, and Cloud. I'm also looking at the AWS certifications. Any opinions?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    BS IT (CCNA R&S, Security, Voice) CCDA, MCP XP, A+, L+, P+, LPIC-1, SUSE CLA
    what do you work with besides R&S?
    In life you have to make your own opportunities. Don't let anyone stop you from your dreams to many negative people want you to fail because they can't succeed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA:Security
    Have you thought about any of the security tracks outside of Cisco?

I'm thinking OSCP once i've finished my CCNP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarcisco View Post
    what do you work with besides R&S?
    Wireless is pretty big here, so I've gotten the CCNA Wireless already. We have some Nexus switches, and I maintain the firewall, so that's why I've been looking at DC and Security. We don't have much to do with cloud services, but it seems like something I want to look into.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hodgey87 View Post
    Have you thought about any of the security tracks outside of Cisco?
    No, to be honest, I haven't looked much beyond Cisco at this point.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S, Voice, Security
    I'd like to get my CCDA and CCDP once I have finished R/S, I was going to go into Security, but there is too much filler material there when I only really need to know ASA and Firepower administration.

I think Design would broaden possible job role horizons quite a bit, especially with your experience, holy cow. I'd probably look into CCIE something if I were THAT far into my years of experience with Cisco, however, Design route would be my best suggestion
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ande0255 View Post
    I'd probably look into CCIE something if I were THAT far into my years of experience with Cisco, however, Design route would be my best suggestion
    I think I may look into that. I'd love to go after a CCIE, but I don't know how I'd come up with the funds right now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Roaming teh Bytes OfWolfAndMan's Avatar

Certifications
    A/L/P/S+, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCDP, CCNA R&S/Sec, ACIS ERS 8K & VSP 9K, BS: IT Security
    Quote Originally Posted by ande0255 View Post
    I think Design would broaden possible job role horizons quite a bit, especially with your experience, holy cow. I'd probably look into CCIE something if I were THAT far into my years of experience with Cisco, however, Design route would be my best suggestion
    This is what I did (CCDA/P). It really is great to learn the design aspects. Makes you appreciate some of the protocols on a whole different level, as well as understanding certain things from a business perspective.
    Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation Goals: Bash Shell/Python Automation Refinement [], CCIE R&S Written [X], AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate (Maybe) [] CCIE R&S Counter: Somewhere between zero and infinity
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA, CCENT
    As mentioned I think it heavily depends on what you currently work on and what your desires are. For me I just got into a role where I touch on a bit of everything (R/S, Voice, Wireless, Design), so I plan on keeping my NP alive with CCDP. Next when my kids are a bit older and require a bit less constant attention at home I am going to sit down and begin the journey toward CCIE.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks