+ Reply to Thread
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S

Default Route in 4 weeks. Study tips please!

Finally booked route for 22nd September. Been studying for about 5 months using OCG, FLG, quick reference guide and cbt nuggets.

Any tips or advise on subjects to slam now in the next few weeks? I'm lucky in being off the 5 days prior to the test with paid study leave from my employer. I've got plenty of time just need advice on what to hit hardest.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    Several (ITIL, Avaya, ShoreTel, Cisco)
    I think everything else aside from BGP. What I usually see happening is people putting too much emphasis on it and having a hard time at other topics. Make sure you leave no stone un-turned. I'm reading up on IPv6 right now for example as I know I'm weak in that area etc. You might well have another are you'd like to focus on etc.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [ ] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [ ] CCNP Route 300-101 [ ] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S
    Sharpen your config skills, the sims on the route exam are tough. Also try to remember and understand the topic in the blueprint. Good luck on your route exam!
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    Passed 3 days ago!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Several (ITIL, Avaya, ShoreTel, Cisco)
    Congrats! How did you find the exam to be? Fair game or does it go into sales territory like some others do?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    I found the exam really good. I didn't get any questions which left me thinking 'wtf you on about cisco?'

The labs all worked and were well explained. I thought id aced it. I did get a decent score but I obviously got a couple wrong, but that was not due to me not thinking I knew the answer
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    Congrats!! Glad to hear the exam was good as well.

Have you taken Switch already?
    Studying CCNP Route.

CCNP Switch passed, 12/10/2015
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    Not yet. Just started studying for it now. I'm hoping to get it done in around 2 months. Route took far too long for my liking - about 7 months. Saying that though my current job is pure switch based with no routing apart from statics between firewalls etc so not really surprised it took as long as it did
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA R&S
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly_59 View Post
    Not yet. Just started studying for it now. I'm hoping to get it done in around 2 months. Route took far too long for my liking - about 7 months. Saying that though my current job is pure switch based with no routing apart from statics between firewalls etc so not really surprised it took as long as it did
    Sounds similar to my employer's network. I need to get going on Route again.

I passed Switch in only 2-3 months without even studying very hard so I think you could definitely do it in 2 months.
    Studying CCNP Route.

CCNP Switch passed, 12/10/2015
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member Registered Member
    The best prep I found after having a rough time getting through route, was buying Keith Bogarts INE CCNP R/S class (which complimented the Chris Bryant class nicely), and take his timed tests then email him any questions you are not clear on why you got it wrong and he will respond in a business day or two if not the same day.

When I took my third ROUTE attempt, it was heavy BGP / IPv6 / Address Families which I had not really labbed, so I just wasn't sure of the answers.

However, the question may have asked me for configuration of one device to another, and I was able to figure through logic which questions were right (I think).

Just don't spend any time on answers you are confident in, if you know the answer, read the question once more in detail to confirm you are answering the question being asked and move on as quick as you can so you have that time for questions you are unsure of to untangle the logic of the question.

One question (not on a cisco exam) that I saw in Cisco forums, which is not an exam question or I'd assume itd have been taken down, which really depends on word play for SWITCH is this:

"A network engineer must extend that LAN over a geographical area, however Extended VLANs are not Prune Eligible, what will the network engineer use to prevent unnecessary traffic on the LAN?"

As can be seen it plays on the word Extended, and points out Extended VLANs are not eligible for VTP Pruning, however the question is asking "What will the engineer use to prevent unnecessary traffic on the LAN?" and that is it - There is no mention of Extended VLANs but just extending the LAN to a remote site.

So its easy to read that quickly and think "Extended LAN but pruning is ineligible so that can't be the answer" but it doesn't say the LAN traffic is using Extended VLANs, so VTP Pruning would be the correct answer in this instance.

I would suggest Keith B's INE course because it includes these kind of word questions in a timed manner so your also learning the pressure of the clock, but taking the actual test and failing, even multiple times in my case with ROUTE, helped me understand its not about knowing the material cold necessarily but being able to apply the logic involved in the material.

There are some questions you can eliminate answers based on mismatching case-sensitive configuration, however more than knowing the exact configurations its more testing your understanding of them, when it came to IPv6 BGP questions I really had no idea cause I'd not labbing those two topics together but I was able to pull a pass out of it.

So all that said, for depth and clock mgmt I'd advise INE for study material because it has that added test sim with the bundle, however going into the exam you cannot panic if you don't know the topics at all - There are only certain answers that make logical sense and you need to remain calm so you can eliminate the obvious wrong answers immediately and focus on the logic of the possible correct answers.

Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks