+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. JVE
    JVE is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    77

    Certifications
    CCNP,A+,MCP,Network +,CCNA
    #1

    Default Dynamips - Lab share

    Hello, now that I got my dynamips working and am really loving this thing!! Was wondering, do any of you that use it have any lab configs to share? I am sure once I get the hang of it, I will be able to set up my own, but if you guys can share some of your files that would be great.

    Or at least answer me this question. It seems by default the Serial 1/0 on the routers are connected, but is anything else? How do you make like the ethernets to connect, if they already are and I just have not tried it, then please correct me but i would love to have this thing do what i want. I have a 64 bit processor with 4GB of RAM so i am not hurting for resources. Thanks in advance, and I love the dynamips thing. Boson was killing me with the lack of commands and functions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. JVE
    JVE is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    77

    Certifications
    CCNP,A+,MCP,Network +,CCNA
    #2
    ok, i got it all figured out. It helps when you read i think!

    But one thing for the life of me, how do you determine the idle pc value for the image you are running? where do you determine that?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member romain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    226

    Certifications
    CCNA - CCDA - CCDP - CCIP - CCNP - MCSA 2000/2003 - MCITP SA/EA 2008
    #3
    Do you know "show version" command ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. JVE
    JVE is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    77

    Certifications
    CCNP,A+,MCP,Network +,CCNA
    #4
    yes, i do? That does not give you the value though, if that is what you are getting at. I did figure out my problem, a guy on another problem kindly explained I had an older version of the executable. So now I am running cool, and I have a mock lab - with real IOS images, of 5 routers, a Frame Relay switch, and a switch. You can create I think up to 11 routers without it bogging down your machine. This program is awesome, for all you sim people out there, this is as close to you will get without having to buy any equipment! Very nice
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. TAC Engineer
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    165

    Certifications
    CCIE R&S, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA, CCDA
    #5
    Hi JVE. How many routers you can run? On my machine (2600+@1GB RAM) I can run 3 routers, and 4th one makes CLI responses very slow (not comfortable).
    I would like to know it becouse I want to run more than 3R, and I am looking for new machine.

    Would you like to interconnect dynamips labs with hamachi (VPN) ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    85
    #6
    I never use dynamips before.

    But if your concern is memory usuage. It's probably as easy as pressing ctrl+alt+del to check how much ram each dynamips router use.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. JVE
    JVE is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    77

    Certifications
    CCNP,A+,MCP,Network +,CCNA
    #7
    Hey, I have run 7 routers without problem, although I have some labs that have 9 routers in them. The key is the idlepc value, which makes the CPU load come way down. Here is my config for you to use, which works very nice for studying for the CCNP - you will need your own IOS image though.

    In this lab, Router 1 and Router 5 connect to an ethernet lan segment in which they are "attached", also Router 1,2, and 3 are connected via a Frame switch, as well as Router 3 and 4 being connected to a different ethernet segment, which is the Lan 1 segment. This stuff becomes real easy to play with and change to set up labs in any way you like once you get the hang of it. Also unzip your IOS image with Winrar and it loads the image very fast instead of waiting for it to uncompress.


    # My CCNP lab
    autostart = false
    [localhost]
    [[7200]]
    idlepc = 0x607117d4
    image = \PROGRA~1\Dynamips\images\C7200-AD.BIN
    npe = npe-400
    ram = 160
    midplane = std
    [[ROUTER R1]]
    s1/0 = F1 1
    f0/0 = LAN 2

    [[ROUTER R2]]
    s1/0 = F1 2
    f0/0 = LAN 1

    [[ROUTER R3]]
    s1/0 = F1 3
    s1/1 = R4 s1/1
    f0/0 = LAN 1

    [[ROUTER R4]]
    f0/0 = LAN 1

    [[ROUTER R5]]
    f0/0 = LAN 2


    [[FRSW F1]]
    1:102 = 2:201
    1:103 = 3:301
    2:203 = 3:302
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    85
    #8
    Is dynamips freeware?

    where's best place to get it?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. JVE
    JVE is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    77

    Certifications
    CCNP,A+,MCP,Network +,CCNA
    #9
    Yes it is free! You can not beat this simulator with anything on the market except for having the real equipment, which in my opinion you dont really need if you have touched routers before. I have the Boson CCNP final version and it is ok, but not enough in my view. With that software, I was able to ping from one side of a connection, but not from the other and I just think the software stinks. I started using Dynamips - and really the dynagen and I have not looked back. I promise you with that software, I will get my CCIE and be fully prepared. In fact, listed below is a CCIE lab that is mock conditions for the real lab. Although you need to practice with a real 3550 which this software can not emulate. Here is the link to download
    http://dyna-gen.sourceforge.net/

    And here is the CCIE lab for anyone interested:

    # CCIE R&S Lab Working Environment
    autostart = false
    [localhost]
    [[7200]]
    idlepc = 0x607117d4

    image = \PROGRA~1\Dynamips\images\C7200-AD.BIN
    npe = npe-400
    ram = 160
    nvram = 512
    midplane = vxr
    confreg = 0x2102

    [[ROUTER R1]]
    autostart = true
    console = 2001
    slot1 = PA-4T
    s1/0 = FrSw 1
    s1/1 = R3 s1/2

    [[ROUTER R2]]
    autostart = true
    console = 2002
    slot1 = PA-4T
    s1/0 = FrSw 2
    s1/1 = R3 s1/3

    [[ROUTER R3]]
    console = 2003
    slot1 = PA-4T
    slot2 = PA-4E
    s1/0 = FrSw 3
    s1/1 = FrSw 7

    [[ROUTER R4]]
    console = 2004
    slot1 = PA-4T
    slot2 = PA-4E
    s1/0 = FrSw 4
    s1/1 = R5 s1/1

    [[ROUTER R5]]
    console = 2005
    slot1 = PA-4T
    slot2 = PA-4E
    s1/0 = FrSw 5

    [[ROUTER R6]]
    console = 2006
    slot1 = PA-4T
    slot2 = PA-FE-TX
    slot3 = PA-FE-TX
    s1/0 = FrSw 6

    [[ROUTER BB1]]
    console = 2007
    slot1 = PA-4T
    s1/0 = FrSw 8
    s1/1 = BB3 s1/1

    [[ROUTER BB2]]
    console = 2008

    [[ROUTER BB3]]
    console = 2009

    [[FRSW FrSw]]
    1:102 = 2:201
    1:103 = 3:301
    1:104 = 4:401
    1:105 = 5:501
    1:113 = 7:311
    2:203 = 3:302
    2:204 = 4:402
    2:205 = 5:502
    2:213 = 7:312
    3:304 = 4:403
    3:305 = 5:503
    4:405 = 5:504
    5:513 = 7:315
    6:51 = 8:51
    6:100 = 8:100
    6:101 = 8:101
    6:201 = 8:201
    6:301 = 8:301
    6:401 = 8:401
    7:314 = 4:413
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62

    Certifications
    BCMSN, CCNA
    #10
    sorry to asking some noob question, coz this is my first time to heard Dynamips Cisco router emulator. Last time i use Boson netsim and many things cannot simulate. Then i have invest some $$ on the real router like 2600, 2500..

    my question is , this Dynamips Cisco router emulator is it can replace all my router ??? with the actual CLI enivironment ? and different kind of IOS..... by the way, wat is the model they support ?


    Thanks in advance for reply
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    85
    #11
    I never used it before. I tried to use it but it require IOS image for 3620, 3640, 7200 from Cisco router which I don't have.

    Dynamips is like vmware and virtual PC which simulate the hardware of a computer, you need to provide the IOS to it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62

    Certifications
    BCMSN, CCNA
    #12
    i have put the IOS in the correct directory, but i duno how to teach the system to boot the correct IOS and set the RAM size for it.....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. JVE
    JVE is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    77

    Certifications
    CCNP,A+,MCP,Network +,CCNA
    #13
    They just released a brand new version, which supports 3600 series routers as well, and yes, the command line is real, because it uses real IOS, which as stated, you have to place yourself. Install dynamips and dynagen and if you use Windows, also winpcap - beta release 4. This allows you to allow it to talk to real networks. In my view, you dont need anything else but this program. They are working on an ISDN emulator which I would think will be ready in about a month or so, which is right when I will need it, for BCRAN!

    With your real routers you have, you can have dynamips communicate with them and it will work as if it were a real router in your lab, very nice piece of software these guys made, and it is free.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62

    Certifications
    BCMSN, CCNA
    #14
    finally it's working.... but i not really sure bout the configuration...... for example.. how to create a back2back connection for 2 routers ???
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Cisco Moderator mikej412's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,190

    Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by JVE
    listed below is a CCIE lab that is mock conditions for the real lab.
    Nice! I'll have to find the time to upgrade and give it a try!

    You kids have it so easy these days! Back in the old days you either had to build an expensive home lab or rent rack time. Yep.... a lot has changed in the last 2 months!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    83

    Certifications
    CCNA, BSCI completed, working on BCMSN
    #16
    Last night I design my dynamips home lab, so I woke up early around 6 am couldn't wait to configure IS-IS. I used 10 routers and 3 real routers and wow this thing rocks.

    I am using 12.3 c7200 but It gives me IS-IS is not supported so I decided to use 12.2 c7200.

    I mixed my lab with FR p-m and point-to-point , Also set up a core backbone all in L2 .

    I finish my lab excercise around 8 hours, I thought IS-IS is difficult and using this tool I could say it is very easy.

    Next top BGP, I hope I could remember what I have learned and read in sybex CCNP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62

    Certifications
    BCMSN, CCNA
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Ching01
    Last night I design my dynamips home lab, so I woke up early around 6 am couldn't wait to configure IS-IS. I used 10 routers and 3 real routers and wow this thing rocks.

    I am using 12.3 c7200 but It gives me IS-IS is not supported so I decided to use 12.2 c7200.

    I mixed my lab with FR p-m and point-to-point , Also set up a core backbone all in L2 .

    I finish my lab excercise around 8 hours, I thought IS-IS is difficult and using this tool I could say it is very easy.

    Next top BGP, I hope I could remember what I have learned and read in sybex CCNP.

    wow ~~ it works with actual routers !? how it work ? mind to briefly explain........ sorry for noob question..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    83

    Certifications
    CCNA, BSCI completed, working on BCMSN
    #18
    If you installed Dynamips/Dynagen there is a folder name DOCS just open it and read it, so that you know how Dynamips works.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    62

    Certifications
    BCMSN, CCNA
    #19
    this is really a good VM for routers !!! best of the best.... new version was released ! please check it out

    one of the poor things, is that this VM does not support for trunking.....

    " Version 0.6.0 released - The primary new feature is support for the NM-16ESW module Chris just added to 0.2.6-RC1. See the readme for other features and bugfixes"

    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by JVE
    Yes it is free! You can not beat this simulator with anything on the market except for having the real equipment, which in my opinion you dont really need if you have touched routers before. I have the Boson CCNP final version and it is ok, but not enough in my view. With that software, I was able to ping from one side of a connection, but not from the other and I just think the software stinks. I started using Dynamips - and really the dynagen and I have not looked back. I promise you with that software, I will get my CCIE and be fully prepared. In fact, listed below is a CCIE lab that is mock conditions for the real lab. Although you need to practice with a real 3550 which this software can not emulate. Here is the link to download
    http://dyna-gen.sourceforge.net/

    And here is the CCIE lab for anyone interested:

    # CCIE R&S Lab Working Environment
    autostart = false
    [localhost]
    [[7200]]
    idlepc = 0x607117d4

    image = \PROGRA~1\Dynamips\images\C7200-AD.BIN
    npe = npe-400
    ram = 160
    nvram = 512
    midplane = vxr
    confreg = 0x2102

    [[ROUTER R1]]
    autostart = true
    console = 2001
    slot1 = PA-4T
    s1/0 = FrSw 1
    s1/1 = R3 s1/2

    [[ROUTER R2]]
    autostart = true
    console = 2002
    slot1 = PA-4T
    s1/0 = FrSw 2
    s1/1 = R3 s1/3

    [[ROUTER R3]]
    console = 2003
    slot1 = PA-4T
    slot2 = PA-4E
    s1/0 = FrSw 3
    s1/1 = FrSw 7

    [[ROUTER R4]]
    console = 2004
    slot1 = PA-4T
    slot2 = PA-4E
    s1/0 = FrSw 4
    s1/1 = R5 s1/1

    [[ROUTER R5]]
    console = 2005
    slot1 = PA-4T
    slot2 = PA-4E
    s1/0 = FrSw 5

    [[ROUTER R6]]
    console = 2006
    slot1 = PA-4T
    slot2 = PA-FE-TX
    slot3 = PA-FE-TX
    s1/0 = FrSw 6

    [[ROUTER BB1]]
    console = 2007
    slot1 = PA-4T
    s1/0 = FrSw 8
    s1/1 = BB3 s1/1

    [[ROUTER BB2]]
    console = 2008

    [[ROUTER BB3]]
    console = 2009

    [[FRSW FrSw]]
    1:102 = 2:201
    1:103 = 3:301
    1:104 = 4:401
    1:105 = 5:501
    1:113 = 7:311
    2:203 = 3:302
    2:204 = 4:402
    2:205 = 5:502
    2:213 = 7:312
    3:304 = 4:403
    3:305 = 5:503
    4:405 = 5:504
    5:513 = 7:315
    6:51 = 8:51
    6:100 = 8:100
    6:101 = 8:101
    6:201 = 8:201
    6:301 = 8:301
    6:401 = 8:401
    7:314 = 4:413
    Dear JVE,

    Thnx a lot for the CCIE Lab net file config. But i am facing a problem when i try to open it. Its showing "error- invlaid npe type". I tried changing the npe type still no use. its the same. Can u please help me with the same.

    Thanks in advance,

    Chinthub
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Netlurker cisco_trooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,420

    Certifications
    CCNP Security, ASA Specialist, Firewall Security Specialist, IOS Security Specialist, IPS Specialist, VPN Security Specialist
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by chinthub
    Quote Originally Posted by JVE
    Yes it is free! You can not beat this simulator with anything on the market except for having the real equipment, which in my opinion you dont really need if you have touched routers before. I have the Boson CCNP final version and it is ok, but not enough in my view. With that software, I was able to ping from one side of a connection, but not from the other and I just think the software stinks. I started using Dynamips - and really the dynagen and I have not looked back. I promise you with that software, I will get my CCIE and be fully prepared. In fact, listed below is a CCIE lab that is mock conditions for the real lab. Although you need to practice with a real 3550 which this software can not emulate. Here is the link to download
    http://dyna-gen.sourceforge.net/

    And here is the CCIE lab for anyone interested:

    # CCIE R&S Lab Working Environment
    autostart = false
    [localhost]
    [[7200]]
    idlepc = 0x607117d4

    image = \PROGRA~1\Dynamips\images\C7200-AD.BIN
    npe = npe-400
    ram = 160
    nvram = 512
    midplane = vxr
    confreg = 0x2102

    [[ROUTER R1]]
    autostart = true
    console = 2001
    slot1 = PA-4T
    s1/0 = FrSw 1
    s1/1 = R3 s1/2

    [[ROUTER R2]]
    autostart = true
    console = 2002
    slot1 = PA-4T
    s1/0 = FrSw 2
    s1/1 = R3 s1/3

    [[ROUTER R3]]
    console = 2003
    slot1 = PA-4T
    slot2 = PA-4E
    s1/0 = FrSw 3
    s1/1 = FrSw 7

    [[ROUTER R4]]
    console = 2004
    slot1 = PA-4T
    slot2 = PA-4E
    s1/0 = FrSw 4
    s1/1 = R5 s1/1

    [[ROUTER R5]]
    console = 2005
    slot1 = PA-4T
    slot2 = PA-4E
    s1/0 = FrSw 5

    [[ROUTER R6]]
    console = 2006
    slot1 = PA-4T
    slot2 = PA-FE-TX
    slot3 = PA-FE-TX
    s1/0 = FrSw 6

    [[ROUTER BB1]]
    console = 2007
    slot1 = PA-4T
    s1/0 = FrSw 8
    s1/1 = BB3 s1/1

    [[ROUTER BB2]]
    console = 2008

    [[ROUTER BB3]]
    console = 2009

    [[FRSW FrSw]]
    1:102 = 2:201
    1:103 = 3:301
    1:104 = 4:401
    1:105 = 5:501
    1:113 = 7:311
    2:203 = 3:302
    2:204 = 4:402
    2:205 = 5:502
    2:213 = 7:312
    3:304 = 4:403
    3:305 = 5:503
    4:405 = 5:504
    5:513 = 7:315
    6:51 = 8:51
    6:100 = 8:100
    6:101 = 8:101
    6:201 = 8:201
    6:301 = 8:301
    6:401 = 8:401
    7:314 = 4:413
    Dear JVE,

    Thnx a lot for the CCIE Lab net file config. But i am facing a problem when i try to open it. Its showing "error- invlaid npe type". I tried changing the npe type still no use. its the same. Can u please help me with the same.

    Thanks in advance,

    Chinthub

    May be your IOS....works fine for me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks