+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    BSIS, MCSA 2003, CCNP, CCDP
    No no - I take all advice to heart, and in the end you passed the sucker right? :P

I have tried so many "study methods" I can't say what works best for me yet.

Right now I'm reading a particular topic first in the Authorized Self-Study BSCI (Teare), follow that up with the Exam Guide (Stewart), then go through the Cisco Training and Certification kit (someone at work had it from when he was studying). If I need more info I browse Routing TCP/IP Volume I, and lastly I do the labs.

I have flash cards of most commands to make sure I don't forget like you mentioned.

What did you find to be the most difficult subject?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP Track (BSCI), MCSE 2003, MCSA:Messaging 2003, A+, Network+
    Quote Originally Posted by bmauro
    No no - I take all advice to heart, and in the end you passed the sucker right? :P

I have tried so many "study methods" I can't say what works best for me yet.

Right now I'm reading a particular topic first in the Authorized Self-Study BSCI (Teare), follow that up with the Exam Guide (Stewart), then go through the Cisco Training and Certification kit (someone at work had it from when he was studying). If I need more info I browse Routing TCP/IP Volume I, and lastly I do the labs.

I have flash cards of most commands to make sure I don't forget like you mentioned.

What did you find to be the most difficult subject?
    As far as the exam, most of the "gut punch questions" came out of the Mulitcast and IPv6, so don't take those topics lightly just because they're at the end of the book (I did originally).

I used pretty much all of those materials except the Routing TCP/IP. I would add www.cisco.com/univercd. I hadn't used that at all to study up until about a week and half ago and I honestly don't think I would have passed had I not gone through all of the relevant documentation there. Let's just say there are portions of the Cisco documentation cd that are very similar to what you might see on the exam.

Also, for some reason I really did not find the Exam Guide to be all that helpful (I actually delayed taking the test the second time waiting for this to come out). I'm not even sure If I'll buy it for BCMSN. It was such a brief overview of things, that when I was doing my final preparations I didn't really even touch it. The main reason I bought it was because it had practice exams, but in the end I found that probably 10% of the questions per time taking an exam had errors or were just broken and could not actually be answered in a way that would give you credit. I found Self Test Software to be much much better in this area.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks