+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Certifications
    CCDA, CCNP, Linux+, Security+, Citrix CA(PS4.0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_Jasmine View Post
    One thing I am suprised on is a few acquaintances and colleagues have suggested using the d*mps just to pass. I can't believe that people put in the hours to read and do labs to just use d*mps. A total waste of time IMHO.

IMHO...you can't pass the BSCI on dumps alone. If someone used the dumps..

1) They would have to research to make sure it was the right answer.

2) They would have to read and study just to understand the concepts behind the answer.

Personally, I think programs like Transcenders are helpful because you need a lot of practice questions so you can direct your studies and get key concepts under your belt. Microsoft tests can be easily passed with a braindump...Cisco tests?...you're going to have to study. But, like I said in my previous post, you've taken the test twice so you should be fairly familiar with what they will ask you.

Did you study alone or in a study group? Although I haven't had the opportunity to use study groups lately, they are nice because you can help each other fill in knowledge gaps...and not feel so alone.

ps. I took a summer class at Abe Friedman, in the day. The ugliest building in L.A.! LOL
    I've mostly studied alone
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    round 3, 10hrs and counting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    Quote Originally Posted by qplayed View Post
    round 3
    da-dum da-dum da-dum-da-dum-da-dum.....

Good Luck!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member

Certifications
    CCNA, Linux+, Security+, Citrix CCA4
    fail
    Results
    R1 R2 R3
    66 55 77 EIGRP
    20 40 50 OSPF
    28 57 42 ISIS
    70 60 30 IOS
    36 54 72 BGP
    50 87 50 Multicast
    62 37 37 IPv6
    633 688 666
    I'm moving on to BCMSN and taking composite in 6 months. I'll review each BSCI topic every week so I don't loose much of what I've learned. I just don't get these scores. What do you all suggest?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member
    "I'm moving on to BCMSN and taking composite in 6 months. I'll review each BSCI topic every week so I don't loose much of what I've learned. I just don't get these scores. What do you all suggest?"

I'm not too sure about your strategy of taking the composite when you really don't have the BSCI concepts down. You should be cracking into the mid 700's at this point and you're not even close.

Go to Google and find a Cisco study group in your area. I think it will be beneficial for you and help you fill in some knowledge gaps.

Also...look for these two documents on the net: CCNP BSCI Quick Reference Sheets & CCNP BCMSN Quick Reference Sheets.

They are both from Cisco and I found them very helpful.
    Last edited by Eddie_Jasmine; 08-14-2009 at 06:50 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I have the CCNP quick ref book, same thing and covers all 4 exams. My wife told me it might be a good idea to change it up and ease up a little on the studies. I hardly see her since i'm always locked up in a room reading....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member
    For BSCI, I think lab time is more important than reading time. Make every effort to implement what you're learning, and see if you can extend it and come up with your own scenarios. Seeing it in action and learning where things break and how to fix them when they do may just let you retain the information a little better.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, MCSA, Security +. Network +, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by qp81 View Post
    fail
    Results
    R1 R2 R3
    66 55 77 EIGRP
    20 40 50 OSPF
    28 57 42 ISIS
    70 60 30 IOS
    36 54 72 BGP
    50 87 50 Multicast
    62 37 37 IPv6
    633 688 666
    I'm moving on to BCMSN and taking composite in 6 months. I'll review each BSCI topic every week so I don't loose much of what I've learned. I just don't get these scores. What do you all suggest?

What specifically did you use for study material and lab material for the three attempt. For me BSCI was extermely tough, and it took me three times..but I added material each time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Here's acomplete list:
    TCP/IP Volume 1 and 2
    CP Study Guide
    CP Exam Ref
    CP Exam Guide
    CP Lab Portfolio
    TS
    CBT

I am adding TestOut for BSCI this week.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    Honestly if you can't pass the exam with all that material you may need some structured training. I'd suggest you look into some training classes. You may not be fully understanding what your reading. I really don't think a practice exam is going to be much help for you. It may get you over the pass mark, but isn't going to help you fully understand the material.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    any suggestions on where to go for these classes?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    I'd say take a break from BSCI and just do the BCMSN exam rather than the composite. You can still do some BSCI review and lab time on the weekends.

You've got all the good study material for BSCI -- but how would you rate the quality of your study time? Do you stay focused and do a chapter in one sitting? Or do you "flitter" between the study material? Do you take notes during the videos and come up with your own list of important points? Do you do the chapter exercises and questions at the end of the book chapters?

When you did the Lab Portfolio, did you get the challenge labs? While doing the regular labs did you just follow the instructions? Or did you think about what the tasks were trying to get you to learn and understand?

The good news -- it looks like if you took your top scores from each section out of all your attempts you could put together a pass. Now all you have to do (after a BCMSN break) is get your knowledge up to those levels again all at the same time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, MCSA, Security +. Network +, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by qplayed View Post
    Here's acomplete list:
    TCP/IP Volume 1 and 2
    CP Study Guide
    CP Exam Ref
    CP Exam Guide
    CP Lab Portfolio
    TS
    CBT

I am adding TestOut for BSCI this week.
    Take a look ar Chris Bryant CCNP package.
    I purchased it after test #2, and passed on #3.
    For roughly the cost of another exam, you are able to purchase his written material for all 4 CCNP exams.

You say that you have the lab guide, do you have a lab at home?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by miller811 View Post
    Take a look ar Chris Bryant CCNP package.
    Ah!! I forgot about Chris!! I'll second it -- Chris Bryant and his Study Guides are probably what you want to help get you "over the hump."
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA A+/Network+, Cisco CCENT/CCNA
    I would also like to know how much labbing you've done. I've just started on the CCNP track, but being able to sit down and lab out everything in Dynamips is huge or on live equipment. I don't have the money or any college around here that offers post CCNA studies so I'm stuck with dynamips. It's the difference between reading and understanding or labbing and fully understanding. I'd also be concerned why your IOS/IPv6 scores are going down.

I'd take a month or two to go over everything and make sure you're not focusing on one area while you drain out the rest of the material. Have to come up with a good study outline to do this though. I think you're just looking at scores and focusing all your time on 2 parts when the others suffer at the same time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Lost in the box...

Certifications
    CCIE R&S and DC, CCIP, CCNP, CCNA, CCENT, Network+, A+, MCDST, MCP, )
    I dont know if this will help or not...but I have moved on to taking notes while reading/watching cbt's. The are not super detailed or anything. I then signed up for a blog at blogspot.com since I started my BCMSN exam, and go there every night after studying and write about what I learned. I go beyond my notes and look up cisco documents on the topic, and post more in detail as I read more things about the specific technology. It has helped immensely in my studies and preparations, plus I will have something to go back to as I progress through my career.

Also, dont give up dude. The BSCI was the first test I have ever failed...anywhere. I had to suck up my pride, hit the topics I was weak on, and go back in for more! Do yourself a favor and grab Chris Bryants material...it should push you over the edge along with some lab work. Good Luck.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by mikej412 View Post
    I'd say take a break from BSCI and just do the BCMSN exam rather than the composite.
    You can still do some BSCI review and lab time on the weekends.
    I just started reading BCMSN, I'll be going this route with weekend reviews of BSCI material.

You've got all the good study material for BSCI -- but how would you rate the quality of your study time?
    Do you stay focused and do a chapter in one sitting? Or do you "flitter" between the study material?
    Do you take notes during the videos and come up with your own list of important points?
    Do you do the chapter exercises and questions at the end of the book chapters?
    Quality is not so great. I work 1 full time job, 1 part time/on call, and 1 consulting/on call...(dropping this end of this year)
    I try to get in as much study time in between there somewhere.....
    If I only have the books I can knock out a chapter in one sitting in a few hours, on a really good day.
    With so little time I don't have a chance to take as much notes, I also end up writing a books when I do..
    what I do have is very little, mostly BGP/OSPF. I know I am weak with those, and really focused on it,
    the draw back, I lost focus on the other subjects, hence the scores.

When you did the Lab Portfolio, did you get the challenge labs?
    While doing the regular labs did you just follow the instructions?
    Or did you think about what the tasks were trying to get you to learn and understand?
    On my 2nd try I did my best to get as much out of hte labs as I could. I have my physical lab
    and GNS3. With a fsckd schedule sometimes its impossible to get the amout of lab tiem I wanted.

The good news -- it looks like if you took your top scores from each section out
    of all your attempts you could put together a pass. Now all you have to do
    (after a BCMSN break) is get your knowledge up to those levels again all at the same time.
    I just added Chris's BSCI material, I'm going to use it as a filler while doing BCMSN as it isn't
    a 500pg gorilla. I will be taking more notes this time around and will be using mnemosyne. I found
    it helped me a lot, especially with BGP and OSPF.

I busted my ass on this and spent hours on the books, videos, and lab. I also spent a lot of time
    fighting with the wife.... I will be taking everyones suggestions and do my best on the 4th try and last( I hope )

A different approach is in order, I learned a lot from the last 2 exams. I did put a lot of pressure on myself in passing
    and lost sight of what was important...learning.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I also spent a lot of time fighting with the wife....
    Time spent fighting the wife is time you could have spent studying -- or time you could have spent relaxing or exercising, which are still important things you need to squeeze into your schedule. Heck, when you have some time and need a study break, "exercise" with the wife rather than fight....

lost sight of what was important...learning.
    You are becoming very wise in your old age....

Don't get carried away on note taking. I still remember a lot of my Freshman classes in college after all these years.... The kids who didn't read the book before class would be scribbling frantically taking notes while the Professor lectured and scrawled on the blackboard. If they had read the book before class they would have noticed the Professor was going through the examples in the book. By preparing before class the lectures reinforced the material from the book and taking lots of notes was unnecessary.

While it could be useful to take notes on your first read through a chapter to help stay focused, a lot of what is important will also show up in any of the chapter questions or exercises.

And a lot of the topics highlights will be in the Quick Reference Sheets. Some people make the mistake thinking the Quick Reference Sheets (QRS) are a condensed Study Guide. The QRS are great for review once you've read the books and done the lab time, but if you try to learn the material from them you're missing a lot of the "back story" -- and memorization of the "highlight points" probably won't get you past the exam.

I finally went to 3x5 index cards (should have gotten a warehouse store membership years ago ). If I had more stuff than fit on one card I was either writing a book and not taking notes anymore -- or I hadn't broken the topic down into tiny study sized chunks. I'd go for a category and topic and sequence # on the top of the card and go from there. I also did separate "configuration examples" -- but the Portable Command reference (and examples in the QRS) could make those redundant. Before an exam I could also treat them like flash cards and just pull the "trouble topics" out of the stack and review those more often.

Going from "reading notes" to the exercises, labs, and "configuration notes" to "note cards" usually reduced the size and quantity of notes to a manageable level. Plus I'd wind up with one set of nicely hand printed note cards to review before the exam rather than a bunch of scrawled notes from different books I couldn't read anymore.

If you have to break up your study times into smaller chunks, try to use your longest uninterrupted time for starting a new topic and try to read the entire chapter. Then use the smaller times to do the exercises, labs, cbt videos, take notes, makes notes, clean up notes, and review.

Good Luck with BCMSN!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Member

Certifications
    Time spent fighting the wife is time you could have spent studying -- or time you could have spent relaxing or exercising, which are still important things you need to squeeze into your schedule. Heck, when you have some time and need a study break, "exercise" with the wife rather than fight....
    fighting was because I wanted to study.....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, MCITP, MCSE
    Sorry to hear about you missing it again. Keep at it and im sure you will knock it out soon. Think of how good it will feel knowing you didn't throw in the towel and got it. Sometimes that feeling is great to keep one going through a tough track. I'm in the early stages of preparing for my CCNP myself. Good Luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Member

Certifications
    Dec 10th scheduled last attempt in 09
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Junior Member
    Dec 10th scheduled last attempt in 09
    Good Luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNA R&S, MCP, A+
    Quote Originally Posted by wat08 View Post
    Whole lotta money for a whole lotta nothing. Unless of course you enjoy pointless analogies and verbosity. Money is better spent on a self-study guide that gives you more than just the bare essentials for passing the exam.
    I disagree. The nuggets videos I think were a good introduction on BSCI. And Jeremy has a way of cementing some key techniques in your head. Don't be fooled though, it should only be used as an introduction. If you don't want to spend a bundle of $ on an introduction, get the Cert Guide, Lab Portfolio and have at it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    UPDATE:
    Passed! omfg!
    881/1000
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    Congratulations. Good on ya for sticking it out.
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 First 123 4 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks