+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 234 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 80
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #1

    Default Question for CCNPs and CCSPs - fun fun fun

    Greetings ALL:

    I just got some exciting news today from one of the Tier II network engineers (about 2 Tiers above me). I was told today that there is a big big push towards cisco gear in our company. I don't want to stay in the eNoc for long so I need to move fast in order to move up. One of the big things is Cisco certs. Now since I already know I am going to do the CCNA/CCNA:S I have started to think beyond. A network engineer told me that if I wanted to get to Tier I network engineering I need to get a CCXP cert (esp CCSP) under my belt soon. So I have decided to finalize my sig and my cert path...almost. Not before I ask the good people of TE some questions:

    Does anyone think it is possible to do the CCNP+CCSP in one year?
    - I know this is about 8 professional level exams but since they are really pushing for it, I will really push for it.

    Would Dynagen and a asa 5505 (or 2) be enough to get me through (along with a L3 switch)?

    Which track is "harder"?

    What would be the best order for the exams? (I was thinking first 2 BCSI, BCMSN, SRNS, IPS specialist, ISCW, ONT, Cisco ASA specialist)

    What would be the most difficult exam out of the bunch?

    And probably the most important question: IS the CCNP (or CCNP level knowledge) required for the CCSP?

    I am really liking the CCSP track because all but 1 exam count towards an additional certification (more cisco buzzwords). I can already tell that my Enoc job is going to be easy and I will excel quickly. I just want to see what TEers think about getting all of those test done in a year.


    Thanks folks,

    knwminus
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #2
    I'm planning on having an NP and SP by the end of 2010, and I'll be taking ICND2 within two weeks.

    I think the SP track will be more difficult simply because there are fewer resources for it (that situation is improving though).

    I'm planning on going through the NP track first. There's a lot of overlap between CCNA:S and ISCW, so I'm going to annihilate the CCNA:S after I wrap up the NP, and then go from there.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    I'm planning on having an NP and SP by the end of 2010, and I'll be taking ICND2 within two weeks.
    lol is that a challenge?

    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post

    I think the SP track will be more difficult simply because there are fewer resources for it (that situation is improving though).

    I'm planning on going through the NP track first. There's a lot of overlap between CCNA:S and ISCW, so I'm going to annihilate the CCNA:S after I wrap up the NP, and then go from there.
    How long do you plan to study each test and what materials will you use?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    lol is that a challenge?
    Sure

    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    How long do you plan to study each test and what materials will you use?
    Cisco Press, CBT Nuggets or Train Signal, Transcender, and my lab (which is fairly antiquated and might need a bit of upgrading or supplementing with dynamips/dynagen).

    I have no idea how long each exam will take. I'm just going to dive in and see how it goes. I'm not going to be too rigid about sticking to a time-line. Meeting a woman will cause everything to go out the window...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #5

    Default its a game of honor and diplomacy

    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    Sure



    Cisco Press, CBT Nuggets or Train Signal, Transcender, and my lab (which is fairly antiquated and might need a bit of upgrading or supplementing with dynamips/dynagen).

    I have no idea how long each exam will take. I'm just going to dive in and see how it goes. I'm not going to be too rigid about sticking to a time-line. Meeting a woman will cause everything to go out the window...
    If you do go with the CBT nuggets let me know how that goes for you. I was thinking about going with them for the CCSP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #7
    Hell no! You're the one that threw down the bat song. I'm not helping the enemy; find your own path!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    161

    Certifications
    CCIE #23866, CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCSP, JNCIP-SEC, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIS-ENT, ACE, FCNSA, CCSA, CADE, MASE, MCSE NT 4, CNE 4.11
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    Greetings ALL:

    Does anyone think it is possible to do the CCNP+CCSP in one year?
    - I know this is about 8 professional level exams but since they are really pushing for it, I will really push for it.
    Depending on your level of experience and how much dedication you put into it, yes it is possible. Especially if you have a home lab or Dynamips.

    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    Would Dynagen and a asa 5505 (or 2) be enough to get me through (along with a L3 switch)?
    For the CCSP this should be sufficient.

    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    Which track is "harder"?
    There really is no "harder" track. One track can be easier for one individual and harder for another. Again, this depends on that particular individual's level of experience with the equipment. I've seen Voice CCIEs who wouldn't even go near anything that had to do with Routing and Switching.

    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    And probably the most important question: IS the CCNP (or CCNP level knowledge) required for the CCSP?
    Not necessarily CCNP level knowledge but it wouldn't be a bad thing. The CCNP and the CCIP are "more closely related".
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,074
    Blog Entries
    1

    Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    lol is that a challenge?
    You totally want to take on dynamik in a race for certs. You can take him.

    -------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"
    -------------------------------------------------------

    Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

    Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    Hell no! You're the one that threw down the bat song. I'm not helping the enemy; find your own path!
    lol lol I meant it as a motivator.

    But now I think it is an all out cert war

    Or not
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by tim100 View Post
    For the CCSP this should be sufficient.
    There really is no "harder" track. One track can be easier for one individual and harder for another. Again, this depends on that particular individual's level of experience with the equipment. I've seen Voice CCIEs who wouldn't even go near anything that had to do with Routing and Switching.
    Thats kind of hard to believe .
    At any rate I was thinking about bundling the CCNP/CCIP but an engineer said, get the CCSP if you want to get out of there so....I'm going to take his advice. The CBT nuggets are still for the old CCSP so I guess I will start with the CCNP since there seems to be more info avail and up 2 date training material. I think that 1 3550 + 1 Asa will be all I will be able to afford to add to my little lab. That should be enough.

    Since I want to retain the knowledge I obtain, I would also like to do some network defense and routing (ie, actually have someone attack my boxes). I have a traffic generator but I am not sure how I practice having someone cracking my boxes. I plan to do what ever I can on my own but I would really like to be able to focus on 1 thing. Maybe I can use backtrack to put together some automated scripts or something.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #12
    Dude, give us a VPN. We'll destroy your network

    But seriously, it's on. This is out on the internet; you can't back away now
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    Dude, give us a VPN. We'll destroy your network
    Don't say that, I might take you up on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    But seriously, it's on. This is out on the internet; you can't back away now
    Agreed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    Don't say that, I might take you up on it.
    Oh, I was sincere. I start my OSCP on the 11th. I'd love to have another network to attack.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    Oh, I was sincere. I start my OSCP on the 11th. I'd love to have another network to attack.
    Let me get my ASA nice and configured first.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    273

    Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Voice.
    #16
    I think one year for 9 exams is a little too much. Specially if the programs are near the difficulty of the BSCI. I havent taken the BSCI, but I did read the book except the Multicast chapter, and I can tell you that kind of material and the amount of it, was not meant to be studied and learned in 45days. No way.

    I also understand that BSCI is probably the most difficult of the CCNP exams and you can notice that in the amount of "failed BSCI today" kind of posts here.

    On the other hand, I have been studying for the CCNA voice for about 10days and 50-60hours (im unemployed) and I am practically ready for the exam. If those SP and NP tracks have exams that are as easy and relatively short programs like the CCNA voice then it is doable. I have seen the books and study materials and I dont think there's even one of those exams as short and easy as the CCNA voice, but I do know a CCNP,CCSP who insists that the SP track is by far the easiest of the professional level paths.

    Your kind of question is coming to my mind everyday because i have sooo much free time and I want to get the most out of it. I stopped thinking about it. I m just trying to study insane amount of hours and after several months the results will be there. Im sure.

    Good luck on your journey!

    P.S: Yesterday I had a long conversation with a guy that is C|EH and i dont know how mmuch of the program overlaps with the CCSP, but I think what you learn at it could be very benefial for anyone interested in Security. He also told me something between those lines...something like it is good to have the attackerperspective, not exclusively the defense...but he did tell me he was no CCSP, so he couldnt be sure it this perspective was covered in detail.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #17
    CEH is a very broad overview of ethical hacking/penetration testing. It's nothing like the CCSP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Cisco Moderator mikej412's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,190

    Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    #18
    Wow!! A steel cage network certification grudge match?

    If you get lots of late night study time at work, you should be able to do both the CCNP and CCSP in one year -- and still do both well.

    Focus on your CCNA and then the CCNA:Security (and maybe the ISCW). But if you're serious about a networking career, you'll probably want to pick up Doyle's Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 and 2 and read those during your "down time" at work when you need a break from studying for the exams.

    The CCSP doesn't have the Cisco Press Certification books since they've been changing the CCSP exams even faster than the CCVP exams. That alone probably should make the CCNP a target before the CCSP.....

    .... Unless you're hot for Security and you see an opening (or an opportunity at work). There's nothing wrong with breaking into security by being the firewall guy -- just don't get stuck there.

    Go back to studying for the CCNA and we can get back to this thread when you crush the CCNA (and have a better feel for the opportunities at your new job).
    Last edited by mikej412; 09-30-2009 at 05:30 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    585

    Certifications
    CISSP
    #19
    This sounds about where I plan to be around the end of November. I just need to get done with this ISA then full force is on Cisco.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by mikej412 View Post
    But if you're serious about a networking career, you'll probably want to pick up Doyle's Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 and 2 and read those during your "down time" at work when you need a break from studying for the exams.
    I'm liking the TCP/IP Illustrated series a lot too. I actually have one book at home and one at work. I've found that reading them simultaneously like that helps a lot because something might not stick the first time I come across it, but the other one might explain it in a slightly different way, etc.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMR View Post
    I think one year for 9 exams is a little too much. Specially if the programs are near the difficulty of the BSCI. I havent taken the BSCI, but I did read the book except the Multicast chapter, and I can tell you that kind of material and the amount of it, was not meant to be studied and learned in 45days. No way.

    I also understand that BSCI is probably the most difficult of the CCNP exams and you can notice that in the amount of "failed BSCI today" kind of posts here.

    On the other hand, I have been studying for the CCNA voice for about 10days and 50-60hours (im unemployed) and I am practically ready for the exam. If those SP and NP tracks have exams that are as easy and relatively short programs like the CCNA voice then it is doable. I have seen the books and study materials and I dont think there's even one of those exams as short and easy as the CCNA voice, but I do know a CCNP,CCSP who insists that the SP track is by far the easiest of the professional level paths.


    Good luck on your journey!

    I plan to do only 8 cisco exams next year. I have to take an intro to linux class next year (basically an lpic1 or L+ prep class) so even though it is in my sig, since I am not self studying that doesn't "count" (if that makes sense).

    8 exams in 12 months does equal 45 days and that isnt a terribly long time. How can I do it? Simply: maximize the time I spend studying on each test. If I study for on average 3 hours a day, I will come in at about 150 hours per exam. I think that 2-3 hours a week day is doable, with about double that on the weekend. Plus with factored downtime at work (it goes from slow to fast) I can get in a couple of hours of studying there.

    I am not saying that it will be easy but I think it is possible if I bust my butt. Hopefully I can pull it off but if I am a couple weeks late Im ok with that
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by mikej412 View Post

    If you get lots of late night study time at work, you should be able to do both the CCNP and CCSP in one year -- and still do both well.

    Focus on your CCNA and then the CCNA:Security (and maybe the ISCW). But if you're serious about a networking career, you'll probably want to pick up Doyle's Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 and 2 and read those during your "down time" at work when you need a break from studying for the exams.

    The CCSP doesn't have the Cisco Press Certification books since they've been changing the CCSP exams even faster than the CCVP exams. That alone probably should make the CCNP a target before the CCSP.....

    .... Unless you're hot for Security and you see an opening (or an opportunity at work). There's nothing wrong with breaking into security by being the firewall guy -- just don't get stuck there.

    Go back to studying for the CCNA and we can get back to this thread when you crush the CCNA (and have a better feel for the opportunities at your new job).
    The man himself has spoken

    At any rate I think these next few weeks I am going to lab for the CCNA and prepare for the CCNA:S.
    My question for you is how closely related (exam objectives wise) are the ISCW? I mean how much overlap is there? Could I study for both and then (with a week or 2 in between them) pass them both?
    The only reason why I ask is 1 is 1 is a CCNA level exam and 1 is a pro exam so I was wondering about the degree of difficulty and whether or not I should go for that as my first pro level exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,680

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    #23
    You would be better off doing the ISCW and then the CCNA Security. The ISCW has a lot more to it than just basic security which overlaps with the CCNA Security like MPLS, SOHO connectivity, IPSEC etc. There are also some things on the CCNA Security that are not on the ISCW, but the ISCW will prepare you for the CCNA Security better than the other way around.

    I think once you start on the CCNP you could branch out after the ISCW and do the CCNA Security if you really want it. The specialization exams are not really that well known or sought after though. They should not be your main focus IMO. It would pay of more in the long run to just shoot straight to the BSCI or BCMSN after the CCNA. The CCNP is going to get you a lot more than any specialization career wise.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    12,308
    #24
    I think he's including the CCNA:S simply because it's now part of the CCSP.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by networker050184 View Post
    You would be better off doing the ISCW and then the CCNA Security. The ISCW has a lot more to it than just basic security which overlaps with the CCNA Security like MPLS, SOHO connectivity, IPSEC etc. There are also some things on the CCNA Security that are not on the ISCW, but the ISCW will prepare you for the CCNA Security better than the other way around.

    I think once you start on the CCNP you could branch out after the ISCW and do the CCNA Security if you really want it. The specialization exams are not really that well known or sought after though. They should not be your main focus IMO. It would pay of more in the long run to just shoot straight to the BSCI or BCMSN after the CCNA. The CCNP is going to get you a lot more than any specialization career wise.

    Interesting (you had to throw a wrench in my plans man ).

    What I was planning on doing was CCNA>CCNA:S>CCNP>CCSP.
    What you are suggesting is CCNA>BSCI>BCMSN>ISCW>CCNA:S>ONT>CCSP? The reason why I ask is if I go that way, I need to make some major changes to the things I am going to buy. You think the CCNA:S isn't worth anything (or at least not that much)? I am a bit confused (not by what you said but by what you implied). Why would I a Pro level test come before a NA level test? Shouldn't I try to get a basic level security test and then go to the advanced level?
    Don't get me wrong I understand your logic but to me that would be like taking Pre-Cal and then taking algebra I. Can you possibly elaborate?
    Last edited by Bl8ckr0uter; 09-30-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typeo
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 234 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks