+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 First 123 4567 ... Last
  1. Junior Member
    Yes, I have still not passed any professional level exams in CCNP.

Due to issues with lots of work at the moment, I dont think i will be able to finish all exams till june 30th. But I have taken the ISCW exam once and failed, (785/790) missed 5 points.... But thats why I figured i will just begin labbing / reading for the BCMSN and BSCI now, since they will be valid after 30th of june also.

And since I've already read alot on the ISCW exam, I'll just take the CCNA:Security instead, so none of my reading have gone to waste.

Seems this logical ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyNA View Post
    I assume ROUTE and SWITCH will take their places.
    Yeah, I'm just curious about the validity timelines. I imagine it'll be like when the CCNP changed over last time, and that your results from the previous exam are good for 3 years from date of passage. I'm not really concerned about the CCDP, as I'm certain I'll pass ARCH this week, but if I'm going to come up against some expiration deadlines for the CCIP, I'd like to know it. My timeline was to have finished CCIP by July of next year, but I think I can swing June easily enough if push came to shove.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billscott92787 View Post
    So if you pass the BCMSN and BSCI, they will be valid, toward the TSHOOT, if you haven't taken the ONT and ICSW yet? Would you then just have to do the TSHOOT to get your CCNP? Does this mean that you shouldn't take the ONT and ICSW if you are just preparing to start studying and testing toward your CCNP? Would it be best to try to do the first two then wait until the exam changes for the 3rd test?
    Traditionally, yes.

Let me give you an example -

The previous version of the CCNP also had 4 exams, BSCI, BCMSN, BCRAN and CIT. When the current version came live, BSCI and BCMSN passes were still valid towards the CCNP, as long as you completed ONT and ISCW within 3 years of passing either exam (I actually ran into this, I passed the old BSCI, but I waited too long to pass the others and had to retake it). So if you passed BSCI in, say, January, then it would be valid towards the new CCNP until January of 2013. Same for BCMSN, and all you'd have to take to complete the CCNP is TSHOOT.

That's the way it normally works. It is, of course, up to Cisco as to whether or not that will be the case.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member billscott92787's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, CCNA, CCNA: Wireless, C|EH, C|HFI, Cloud+, Masters - Information Security and Assurance, B.S. Networking and Comm. Mgmt.
    Thanks,

I seen a PDF that said that is true. If you take the BCMSN, and you don't take the BSCI then you would:

ROUTE + TSHOOT based on the PDF link that you find as the very first post.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member
    Btw, did anyone have an answer to my earlier second post in this thread? Im just wondering if it seems logical to rather drop taking ISCW since I havent taken any of them, and then just do CCNA:Security so the reading / preparation is not going to waste, and then just do BCMSN and BSCI after that + TSHOOT when that become available.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kristianbrown View Post
    Btw, did anyone have an answer to my earlier second post in this thread? Im just wondering if it seems logical to rather drop taking ISCW since I havent taken any of them, and then just do CCNA:Security so the reading / preparation is not going to waste, and then just do BCMSN and BSCI after that + TSHOOT when that become available.
    If you've already passed BSCI and BCMSN, and you're ready to take ISCW, just go take it. ONT is an easy exam and should not take you 9+ months to study for and pass.

If you haven't passed any of the professional level exams for the current CCNP, then going for the CCNA:Security first may be a smart move
    Yes, I did hehe
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken_GA View Post
    Yes, I did hehe
    Ahh, didnt see that one. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA:Security, FCNSA, CCNP:BSCI, BCMSN.
    From PDF: "The end of availability dates are March 2011 for ISCW and OCN, and June 2011 for BSCI and BCMSN."
    So.. what does this mean?!
    I was studying for ISCW, and in a few weeks i was planing to take it.(now i'm studying for BCMSN[low on cash]).
    So i plan, that by february to have ISCW & BCMSN. Is this a stupid way to go?
    All the people say here that it is valid to June 2010(ISCW,ONT). So where is the error in the 1st statement? Or i didn't understand it correctly?!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member billscott92787's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, CCNA, CCNA: Wireless, C|EH, C|HFI, Cloud+, Masters - Information Security and Assurance, B.S. Networking and Comm. Mgmt.
    I'm not sure which PDF file you are looking at: the one on the first page lists, "The four existing CCNP certification exams will be available to the general public through June 30, 2010" If you can pass all four tests before this date then that is the smart way to go. If you don't think you will be able to, try to get the BCMSN done and the BSCI and then take the TSHOOT lab and you'll be a CCNP or try to just go the route of passing all four tests. It depends on how much study time you can put in.

But I do see what you mean in another paragraph it says:

"The end of availability dates are March 2011 for ISCW and OCN, and June 2011 for BSCI and BCMSN."
    Last edited by billscott92787; 10-12-2009 at 06:29 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member
    It might mean that you can take the exams through the end of June, 2010, but you'll be able to apply them to whatever track until June, 2011.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member billscott92787's Avatar

Certifications
    This is the availability for the academies:

To facilitate a smooth transition, the CCNP 5.0 curriculum will be available for one year after the release of the new courses. However, all academies are encouraged to migrate to CCNP 6.0 as soon as possible to take advantage of the new curriculum. The end of availability dates are March 2011 for ISCW and OCN, and June 2011 for BSCI and BCMSN

So the academies will have the CCNP 5.0 curriculum available for one year after the new release then they have to convert to the new courses by these dates.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA:Security, FCNSA, CCNP:BSCI, BCMSN.
    i missunderstood.
    So now i have a deadline, 20 June for CCNP. That will set me on!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCDA, CCNP, Linux+, Security+, Citrix CA(PS4.0)
    Quote Originally Posted by NullCode View Post
    i missunderstood.
    So now i have a deadline, 20 June for CCNP. That will set me on!
    Now I'm in a time crunch.....8 months to cover CCNP. Anyone have an inside scoop on when Cisco will make this Official on their site? ...nuff on this post time to hit the books gotta get this outta the way ASAP!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    Supposedly the official announcement is in November.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCTSx2
    Did BSCI in December 2008
    About to go do BCMSN in December 2009

That leaves me until June to clear ISCW and ONT.

It's doable.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Certified Beer Judge Cyanic's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CISSP
    Quote Originally Posted by NullCode View Post
    From PDF: "The end of availability dates are March 2011 for ISCW and OCN, and June 2011 for BSCI and BCMSN."
    So.. what does this mean?!
    The 2011 date is the end of the course from the academy. Yes, you will be able to take the course after the exam is fully retired.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Member

Certifications
    CCNA, Linux+, Security+, Citrix CCA4
    Is anyone in the academy right now? Can you give us more insight on this? I was wondering if I took the Academy say for ISCW and ONT would it be possible to get a voucher? Ill be killing myself if I try to complete within 8 months doing BSCI for the forth time(last I hope).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    True but if they werent concerned with making money off of there certs then they all would be free (CCIE included, along with all the books, and salad and breadsticks you want).

Certifications are another way for them to get money imo.

I dont think they are making all that much money. No. I think you are missing the costs they absorb when they develop those programs. I am sure a company like Cisco is making such moves based on strategic decision making, and not necesarilly because of the direct benefit the certification program represents, if any (Any DIRECT benefit)

Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    No offense, but I really don't think you're aware of how much is involved with running programs of that magnitude. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually losing money on the whole ordeal. Like I said, the real benefit to them is having people that can support their equipment. Who cares if Juniper has better equipment for less money if all you have is people like Aldur supporting them?
    ...Nuff said....

i have a question for the old Cisco guys here: Does Cisco generally retire exam and make changes like this in such a short notice?

The thing is not yet official, as the dates for retiring the exams are not published on the webpage. I will be taking the BSCI next month and that is going to give me about 7months for 3 exams. Based on the amount of hours that ive taken to prepare for the CCNA Voice I dont think I wiill be able to clear them.

I think making the announcement to retire two exams in the timeframe they've published is going to discourage many people to stay on the track, until the new TSHOOT exam becomes available.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMR View Post
    i have a question for the old Cisco guys here: Does Cisco generally retire exam and make changes like this in such a short notice?
    Cisco tweeks the exams quite often and changes/updates the exam blueprints as they deem necessary. You should always keep an eye on the exam blueprint to make sure you have all the topics covered -- since Cisco may have changed a topic or two here or there. And the CCSP seems to have new or updated or retired exams every year now.

Usually you'll get about 5 to 6 months notice about the changes -- and Cisco outlines the "mix 'n match" options that will be available. Until the official word comes out from Cisco your guess is as good as anyone else's.

The "current rumors" have been posted here on TechExams twice before -- once in April 2009 and before that in January 2009. The "original rumors" were posted elsewhere even before the current exams were a year old.

Since the CCNP is a routing & switching certification, BSCI & BCMSN are probably the "safe" exams to take and most likely to have a obvious replacement.

The old CCNP had the CIT Exam -- Cisco Internetwork Troubleshooting -- which was some troubleshooting methodology and then anything "troubleshooting related" from the books for the other exams (BSCI-Routing, BCMSN-Switching, or BCRAN-WAN).

Since Cisco can't seem to decide what it wants to do with the CCNA:Voice and CCVP -- and that if you took the old CVOICE exam, you NOW don't need to meet the CCNA:Voice prerequisite at all..... I'd just suggest not buying any Cisco Certification books more than a month or so before you plan to start studying. And you probably don't want to buy the current Cisco Press CCNP Certification Library Box Set.
    Last edited by mikej412; 10-14-2009 at 05:19 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Senior Member
    I dont think they are making all that much money. No. I think you are missing the costs they absorb when they develop those programs. I am sure a company like Cisco is making such moves based on strategic decision making, and not necesarilly because of the direct benefit the certification program represents, if any (Any DIRECT benefit)
    It would have been nice if you had actually gotten my point before you shot it down.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Member

Certifications
    Network+, CCNA, BSCI
    So I have till June 30, 2010 to take three exams?

This is going to suck while working full time and going to school full time.

I had planned and have been taking exams during the winter and summer breaks.

Looks like I am going to have to try to do this while in school.

Ugh.
    Last edited by Bosefus; 10-14-2009 at 05:47 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. nel

Certifications
    A+ , Network+, MCSA 2003, CCENT, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, JNCIA-JunOS, JNCIS-ENT, Bsc(hons) & Msc Degree
    Damn, ive just finished my first read of iscw but i am about to start university again. there's no way i will be able to finish the whole track by that date whilst doing my degree. i think i'll have to scrap the iscw now and start reading bsci.

So i have a question, for people possibly in my case, i've passed bcmsn. say i pass bsci and use that as a combo with the troubleshoot exam. Wheres the material to fill in the gaps i will miss by not completed the ONT and ISCW?

i know other ppl have said portions of the ONT and ISCW material maybe integrated into the new route/switch exams but what about those who dont do the new exams like me?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by nel View Post
    Damn, ive just finished my first read of iscw but i am about to start university again. there's no way i will be able to finish the whole track by that date whilst doing my degree. i think i'll have to scrap the iscw now and start reading bsci.

So i have a question, for people possibly in my case, i've passed bcmsn. say i pass bsci and use that as a combo with the troubleshoot exam. Wheres the material to fill in the gaps i will miss by not completed the ONT and ISCW?

i know other ppl have said portions of the ONT and ISCW material maybe integrated into the new route/switch exams but what about those who dont do the new exams like me?
    That question was answered. The best for you is probably passing the BSCI annd then waiting for the TSHOOT to get the ccnp. If you are concerned about not knowing the security and QoS parts of the current CCNP you can take the QoS exam and maybe CCNA security. If you follow that path and the CCIP keeps the same requirements you might end up with the CCNP, CCNAS and one exam away of the CCIP. The new thing made it a easier unless they make TSHOOT insanely difficult.

Let's hope the new TSHOOT requires troubleshooting on real equipment, sort of what MS is doing with the new Active Directory configuration exam for server 2008.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. nel

Certifications
    A+ , Network+, MCSA 2003, CCENT, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, JNCIA-JunOS, JNCIS-ENT, Bsc(hons) & Msc Degree
    That question was answered. The best for you is probably passing the BSCI annd then waiting for the TSHOOT to get the ccnp. If you are concerned about not knowing the security and QoS parts of the current CCNP you can take the QoS exam and maybe CCNA security. If you follow that path and the CCIP keeps the same requirements you might end up with the CCNP, CCNAS and one exam away of the CCIP. The new thing made it a easier unless they make TSHOOT insanely difficult.

Let's hope the new TSHOOT requires troubleshooting on real equipment, sort of what MS is doing with the new Active Directory configuration exam for server 2008.
    Sorry, i wasnt asking the best method to pass the NP once the new exams are available. it was in relation to the later part of your ansswer refering to the material missed out by the ONT and ISCW.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nel View Post
    I was thinking the same thing as my route may also be BSCI, BCMSN, and TSHOOT. I guess I'll be a water-down CCNP at that point. You can always just read the ONT and ISCW material (or the new ROUTE and SWITCH material), even if you don't take the exams
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 First 123 4567 ... Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks