+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Certifications
    CISSP, CCSP, CCNP, CCDA, MCTIP:EA
    It seems crazy to me to complain that the new CCNP curriculum won't teach you how to do VPN (or QOS, ...). Do you guys realise that we are talking about a certification? It is supposed to show your level of aptitude which certain technologies.

Now, if you want to know how to set up a VPN, what's stopping you to learn it by yourself? Or is it you don't want to learn something if there is no certification at the end?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    It seems crazy to me to complain that the new CCNP curriculum won't teach you how to do VPN (or QOS, ...). Do you guys realise that we are talking about a certification? It is supposed to show your level of aptitude which certain technologies.

Now, if you want to know how to set up a VPN, what's stopping you to learn it by yourself? Or is it you don't want to learn something if there is no certification at the end?
    Yeah, pretty much. You can never stop learning if you want to stay alive in this game, let alone get ahead.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaminsky View Post
    One side effect taking things out will have is to further deflate the price of a base CCNP in the job market for those with only one P. For an all rounder, you will be expected to have supporting Ps which is what Cisco want - not just to make more money from certifications - but to get a more in depth all rounder of Cisco technology.
    Yup, that's why I branched out into DP and IP as well. I have a sneaking suspicion that at some point I'm going to have to at least get very familiar with the CCSP material, even if I never take the actual exams. I just hope I can avoid getting dragged into Voice.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE:R&S, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCTSx2
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisone View Post
    sorry i disagree with you. Knowing how to configure an IPSEC and GRE tunnel is a huge plus in a network engineers arsenal, many companies run GRE over IPSEC to save thousands of dollars monthly.
    I did say more or less

Perhaps my wording was too strong. The exam is fine, great content, MPLS and IPSec for example. I will admit the SDM is easier though, so perhaps I should just quit my whining
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Voice.
    Ive talked to a couple network engineers about getting started in It in a netwroking position and they both say with my ccna and ccna voice, a great adition would be an iscw course or the exam.

I think I will do finish the BSCI and BCMSN and then TSHOOT to get the cert and rthen will check out both trainsignal and Testtout materials for ISCW, and probably ONT too.

I read most of the CCNA security certification guide and i thought it was plain boring.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation, CCNP SWITCH,ROUTE, Zoology BSc,
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMR View Post

I read most of the CCNA security certification guide and i thought it was plain boring.
    I disagree, I just finished mine and it gives good entry level to firewall, IPS, VPN's and switch based security. as well as the standard info on types of attack.

in fact the only real difference between it and the ISCW seems to be the MPLS, and cable/DSL connections.

Then again I didn't read the guide and just learnt it from the blue prints.
    Last edited by DevilWAH; 02-10-2010 at 10:52 PM.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CVoice ITIL IPTEL1
    I think the new CCNP is great

if you want to learn QoS, do the QoS exam. If you want to learn ipsec, do ccna security.

Although, I'm not sure why they removed spanning tree from the switch exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member
    I don't think they removed Spanning Tree, I think they just got all lawyery with their exam descriptions:

# Configure loop prevention for the VLAN based solution

That would seem to indicate to me that the various forms of STP are alive and well in the new CCNP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CVoice ITIL IPTEL1
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken_GA View Post
    I don't think they removed Spanning Tree, I think they just got all lawyery with their exam descriptions:

# Configure loop prevention for the VLAN based solution

That would seem to indicate to me that the various forms of STP are alive and well in the new CCNP
    you're right! I missed that.

well the new ccnp is fine
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Senior Member
    Go look at the ISCW Exam Cert Guide if you have it. Their *entire* idea of teaching a network 'Professional' to configure a Secure GRE Tunnel....... is to use a wizard. Really? Seriously? That's not good training. I haven't taken a look at the most recent edition, but I'd be willing to bet I could get a better solution out of O'Reiley's Cisco IOS Cookbook.
    Incidentally, I was right about this. IOS Cookbook provides much better configuration examples for various types of tunnelling and VPN than the ISCW guide does.

'Click the next button' does not require Professional level expertise to accomplish.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I'm going to hold my hands up and say that I was wrong about ISCW.

After sitting down and going through the entire IPSec VPN section with CBT Nuggets, I've actually grown very fond of ISCW.

I've covered IPSec VPN configuration on my own only once or twice, and have to admit muddled through the configuration (it is so big). Seeing it in video - it all made sense.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA:SEC, CCNP,CCIP BSc Computer Networks and Security(Hons)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
    I'm going to hold my hands up and say that I was wrong about ISCW.

After sitting down and going through the entire IPSec VPN section with CBT Nuggets, I've actually grown very fond of ISCW.

I've covered IPSec VPN configuration on my own only once or twice, and have to admit muddled through the configuration (it is so big). Seeing it in video - it all made sense.
    yeah i've found the same with various things , cisco books seem confusing watch a video (TS or CBT) and its lkike alightbulb moment!

does anyone know how good the cbt nugs/train signal is for ISCW? i've done BSCI (exam next week) in uni this year and we are nearing the end of bcmsn(exam likly in 5 weeks) but we dont cover iscw material (but we do the entire CCNA:S). is it good or a bit lacking (like i heard the switching one was)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Seems pretty good for the ISCW (CBT Nuggets) but I always use the CBT's as complimentary to the books
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA, MCITP EA, MCSE, MCSA, multiple MCTS, MCP, CISSP, CTP
    Incidentally, I was right about this. IOS Cookbook provides much better configuration examples for various types of tunnelling and VPN than the ISCW guide does.

'Click the next button' does not require Professional level expertise to accomplish.
    The ISCW lab portfolio is also a pretty good piece of learning material, at least the current one is. Studying for certs shouldnt really be the only way you learn your job. knowledge without depth to me is worthless, i.e. ONT and ISCW.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation, CCNP SWITCH,ROUTE, Zoology BSc,
    Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
    Seems pretty good for the ISCW (CBT Nuggets) but I always use the CBT's as complimentary to the books
    I do like the CBT videos, they are great for giving you a nice intredution to topics. nothing like seeing it happen on screen, And Jeremy is such a great person to llisten to talking, nice to hear his entusasam, (and spot his mistakes before he picks them up)

I just hopping they are going to release the new CCNP videos soon.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SysAdmin4066 View Post
    The ISCW lab portfolio is also a pretty good piece of learning material, at least the current one is. Studying for certs shouldnt really be the only way you learn your job. knowledge without depth to me is worthless, i.e. ONT and ISCW.
    Y'all seem to be misinterpreting what I'm saying!

I think knowledge is good. I like knowledge.

I don't like ISCW. It's a horrible exam that is nowhere near representative of what a network professional needs to know. What you actually need to know to execute the technology it purports to test you on bears absolutely no reality to what it actually will test you on.

So for that reason, I do not mourn it's demise. From the blueprints of the new exams, it looks like the important stuff that was on ISCW's blueprints have been moved around, and I sincerely hope that the new stuff bears a closer resemblance to reality.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA, MCITP EA, MCSE, MCSA, multiple MCTS, MCP, CISSP, CTP
    Y'all seem to be misinterpreting what I'm saying!

I think knowledge is good. I like knowledge.

I don't like ISCW. It's a horrible exam that is nowhere near representative of what a network professional needs to know. What you actually need to know to execute the technology it purports to test you on bears absolutely no reality to what it actually will test you on.

So for that reason, I do not mourn it's demise. From the blueprints of the new exams, it looks like the important stuff that was on ISCW's blueprints have been moved around, and I sincerely hope that the new stuff bears a closer resemblance to reality.
    I'm sorry, I must not have conveyed correctly. I am agreeing with you. although I thought the ISCW lab port went into some good detail, the exam itself does not really test that level of detail. It was pretty basic. So I agree with you
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks