+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Certifications
    ITIL V3 Foundation, CCNA, CCNA:Security

Default I'm an addict....

Buying equipment is addicting!! I've started on my home lab and have picked the following up in the last week.

2x3550 POE with SMI (upgrading to EMI)
    2x2620XM with WIC-1DSU-T1
    2620 with NM-4E and two WIC-1T's (part of the package w/ 1 switch and 2511)

Looking at getting two 3640's with max mem or two 2651xm's (leaning towards 3640's) and a 2950 along with some more WIC-1T's and NM-_A/S modules. I cant stay off of ebay or craigslist LOL.

Thanks to you all for the info you add to this forum regarding hardware. Definitely a wealth of knowledge as I've been burning up the search feature figuring out what to get.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    Yea, I had the same thing for awhile. The stuff just piles up.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Security, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCP, MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by *BB* View Post
    Buying equipment is addicting!! I've started on my home lab and have picked the following up in the last week.

2x3550 POE with SMI (upgrading to EMI)
    2x2620XM with WIC-1DSU-T1
    2620 with NM-4E and two WIC-1T's (part of the package w/ 1 switch and 2511)

Looking at getting two 3640's with max mem or two 2651xm's (leaning towards 3640's) and a 2950 along with some more WIC-1T's and NM-_A/S modules. I cant stay off of ebay or craigslist LOL.

Thanks to you all for the info you add to this forum regarding hardware. Definitely a wealth of knowledge as I've been burning up the search feature figuring out what to get.
    hehe. I know what you mean, I have way too much equipment - enough for a full CCIE lab and more. ebay is just too addictive.

My policy now is only buy something if I can sell it for a profit, problem is I never get around to selling them.

I don't think the 3640 supports 12.4T while the 2651XM will go to 12.4(15)T.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation, CCNP SWITCH,ROUTE, Zoology BSc,
    I think I might look in to some more routers as mike is correct the 3640's don't support the T feature sets.

I not sure how much this is needed for the CCNP buts its nice to have a few devices in your labs that can run the latest feature sets for testing stuff out you are doing at work, even if it is not what you are studying for.

I know there is another 3750G switch laying around at work. I wondering if it happen to appear in my lab how long before it was noticed....
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilWAH View Post
    I know there is another 3750G switch laying around at work. I wondering if it happen to appear in my lab how long before it was noticed....
    Aaah whats that saying, green with envy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem2te View Post
    Aaah whats that saying, green with envy.
    yer I know I am quite lucky.

but it says something about my company.

currently in my spares there are

2x3750 12port fibre switches
    3x3750 48port PoE
    and 2 (well one now i have borrowed it) 24 port 3750G.

All of them have been sitting there for about a year!!

I did an audit of site of switch ports in use and that was what I came up with as spare capacity.

and the 3 X 3550's in my lab are also spares that have been sitting around for ever not used.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    SpecterOps: Powershell Adversary Tactics, SilentBreakSecurity - DarkSideOps, CISSP, CCDP, CCNP R/S, CCNP Security (Secure, FW) , C|EH , PA ACE
    Being an addict will assure your mental interest in the subject

I havent played with my lab in awhile, i have just been on GNS3 working with a lot of routing topics. I need to get me some 3560's and an ASA5505.
    2017 Goals: Dark Side OPS: Custom Pentesting (complete), SpecterOps: PowerShell Adversary Tactics (completed), eCPPT (2nd attempt), LFCS (4th attempt )
    2018 Goals: eCPPT, OSCP
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisone View Post
    I havent played with my lab in awhile, i have just been on GNS3 working with a lot of routing topics. I need to get me some 3560's and an ASA5505.
    actuly this is a good point.. GNS3 is a great way to add a few devices to you lab that you don't want to fork out for. Espicaly when it comes to the later feature sets, that you need reccent equipment to run
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisone View Post
    Being an addict will assure your mental interest in the subject

I'm using GNS3 more now I've started working on Route. It's great for using Wireshark for sniffing the inner workings of routing protocols.

I still use real stuff for labs as GNS is far to flakey for full blown labs so I still feed my ebay addition regularly.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    My main issue with GNS3 is it dosent seem to play nice with VISTA.... (why I still use vista I don't know)

But I might cobble to gather a machine with a few NIC's in it running GNS3 when I get on to my ROUTE exam and bolt it on to the side of my lab.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCDA, CCNP, Linux+, Security+, Citrix CA(PS4.0)
    talk about addiction....I thnk we should start a network gear anonymous
    my lab is as crazy as anyones
    Index of /cisco.juniper

and I'm shopping around for some 2811/3560 and some juniper ssg
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    My main issue with GNS3 is it dosent seem to play nice with VISTA.... (why I still use vista I don't know)

But I might cobble to gather a machine with a few NIC's in it running GNS3 when I get on to my ROUTE exam and bolt it on to the side of my lab.
    I find the UI crashes quite often on Win 7.

I tried the lab scenario from the BSCI study guide, I think it has 11 routers. dynamips itself handled it fine after setting the idlepc values but every second or third time I treid to save the topology the GNS3 UI would hang.

Now I just use it for small topologies and I'm often heard swearing at it
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by qplayed View Post
    talk about addiction....I thnk we should start a network gear anonymous
    my lab is as crazy as anyones
    Index of /cisco.juniper

and I'm shopping around for some 2811/3560 and some juniper ssg
    Excellent idea.

I keep seeing reasonably cheap 3750G S/SMI switches which I understand can be easily upgraded to the full EMI IOS for lab use.

Some one talk me out of it!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    ITIL V3 Foundation, CCNA, CCNA:Security
    I tried messing with GNS3 and I just couldnt deal with having to learn how to use it, just to configure routers. I've got a low threshold for dealing with stuff like that lol.

As far as my decision between the 3640's and 2651xm's, not sure what to get yet. MPLS is something I need to really want to work on and understand as that is what we are using on our network at work, and from what I've read, they will both those routers will support it.

More research!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    I tried messing with GNS3 and I just couldnt deal with having to learn how to use it, just to configure routers. I've got a low threshold for dealing with stuff like that lol.

As far as my decision between the 3640's and 2651xm's, not sure what to get yet. MPLS is something I need to really want to work on and understand as that is what we are using on our network at work, and from what I've read, they will both those routers will support it.

More research!
    I found learning how to set up GNS3 acutely teaches you a bit about networking in general.

But when it comes to Labbing I think I am going to set up a LINUX box and do away with the GNS3 front end completely and just use dynamips. All GNS3 really seems to do is give you a network digram.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Senior Member

Certifications
    I'm not sure if the 2600XM series supports MPLS on 12.4 / 12.4T IOS. You may need to install 12.3.

Like you say, more research!

All GNS3 really seems to do is give you a network digram.
    And crash lots. I'll be interested how you get on with dynamips on Linux.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem2te View Post
    I'm not sure if the 2600XM series supports MPLS on 12.4 / 12.4T IOS. You may need to install 12.3.

Like you say, more research!

And crash lots. I'll be interested how you get on with dynamips on Linux.
    Dynamips/dynagen on Linux is the way to go. I use it on XP and Vista with no issues also. I've never been a fan of GNS3, but I haven't given it a chance in a few years so it might be better by now. Doesn't sound like it from this thread though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by networker050184 View Post
    Dynamips/dynagen on Linux is the way to go. I use it on XP and Vista with no issues also. I've never been a fan of GNS3, but I haven't given it a chance in a few years so it might be better by now. Doesn't sound like it from this thread though.
    It is better but still far from perfect

also version 3.0.7 was released a feew weeks back and I have not tested this yet
    Last edited by DevilWAH; 03-18-2010 at 03:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I'm currently thinking about selling off a lot of my IE rack.

R1 2620XM
    R2 2610XM
    R3 3640
    R4 3725
    R5 3640
    R6 2801
    SW1 3560
    SW2 3560
    SW3 3550
    SW4 3550
    FR 2621 + NM-16A/S
    TermServer 2620 + NM-16A
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    pity I think the postage to the UK is a bit high

Plus wife would kill me..... She keeps telling me that I should spend money on getting ready for baby and not Geek stuff
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    pity I think the postage to the UK is a bit high

Plus wife would kill me..... She keeps telling me that I should spend money on getting ready for baby and not Geek stuff
    The better geek you are the better you can provide for the baby. So, by buying more geek stuff you actually are getting ready for the baby!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA:Security RHCT CCENT MCP Net+ A+
    Quote Originally Posted by networker050184 View Post
    The better geek you are the better you can provide for the baby. So, by buying more geek stuff you actually are getting ready for the baby!
    That's exactly how I explained it to my wife when she was prego. Unfortunately, getting the CCNA didn't pan out to a better paying job (yet) and in order to actually use my skils on the job I would have to take a 33% pay cut. Hopefully the job market is better in your area/s.

Colby: I would be interested in some of it but would need more specific part numbers and cost!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Not sure if I'm going to ship anything. I'm super lazy. I was thinking of throwing it up on craigslist or something.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA:Security RHCT CCENT MCP Net+ A+
    So what's the purpose of listing what you are thinking of selling on a website other than craiglist?

Regardless, best of luck thinning your herd
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    We were talking about gear we've collected, seemed appropriate to me.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks