+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 First 1234
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, CCDP, CCNP
    Quote Originally Posted by notgoing2fail View Post
    It would be interesting to know how many companies are using CatOS still. I'm sure they are still out there as Turgon mentioned. But I'm also sure they must be dwindling in numbers!!
    I am pretty sure they are out there. It all boils down to the budget and priority of these projects. Most upper management will probably say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Then they can use the money for a better project, the one that actually brings $$$ to the company. Then again, legacy devices consume more power than newer devices. That said, that's potential $$$ coming in by having a newer device with all the bells and whistles.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA Sec, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CISSP
    Quote Originally Posted by notgoing2fail View Post
    It would be interesting to know how many companies are using CatOS still. I'm sure they are still out there as Turgon mentioned. But I'm also sure they must be dwindling in numbers!!
    Its funny, I was just asking if CatOS is even worth learning at this point in a thread in the CCNA section. The thread was about someone grabbing a CatOS switch for $10 so it got me wondering. I think this sums up what you're asking as well:

Quote Originally Posted by ColbyG
    Speaking from experience, don't learn it until you have to. I'd never touched it before my current position. I'd never seen it at all. I don't think it is all that common in the real world outside of large enterprises who don't update their code/gear as they should.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCITP EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA, VCP 5, CCA, CCEE, CCIA, CCE-V
    Quote Originally Posted by alan2308 View Post
    Its funny, I was just asking if CatOS is even worth learning at this point in a thread in the CCNA section. The thread was about someone grabbing a CatOS switch for $10 so it got me wondering. I think this sums up what you're asking as well:
    It would be interesting to see how many still use it. I have never seen it yet but we have fairly new equipment at our place.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member
    So have NG2F, do you think the Lan Switching book is good prep for SWITCH? Are you planning to use the Self Study guide or the Cert guide? Also when do you plan to sit the test?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, CCDP, CCNP
    I agree with what ColbyG said "don't learn it until you have to" but I think it is unfair to say that businesses don't upgrade their code/gear as they should. I am sure that the managers and/or engineers are trying to convince the upper management but having it approved is the hardest part. Justifying the need to upgrade the gear if it still works is another story. The upper management would rather use the money for something else than plunking down thousands of dollars to replace legacy devices.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    So have NG2F, do you think the Lan Switching book is good prep for SWITCH? Are you planning to use the Self Study guide or the Cert guide? Also when do you plan to sit the test?

I've most definitley been using the certified exam guide. The authorized self study is on pre-order and it comes out by the end of this week, although I'm not going to spend weeks reading it.

Along with the old BCMSN CBT Nuggets video and the BCMSN book, as well as some cisco doc's I've read online, I think I'm decently prepared.

I'm starting to feel a little burnout so it's important that I take the SWITCH exam very soon, maybe even by the end of this week? Then take a week breather from everything. And come back fresh for ROUTE.

As far as that LAN switching book goes, it does have some more meat than the exam cert. guide. I'd say 25-30% of the book unfortunately talks about CatOS as well as upgrading from CatOS to IOS for those who may be interested in how that works....

I'm not sure yet though if it's needed though for the SWITCH exam, if I had to declare something today, I'd say no you do not need this book at all for SWITCH.....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation, CCNP SWITCH,ROUTE, Zoology BSc,
    CCNP Switch – Planning Topics Ponder the Network (and other things)

I don't know if you have read that but this is an example of a question on the switch exam.

As you can see a little more involved than a CCNA questions not only do you need to be able to piece together lots of different ideas to get it solved, but you need to know what ones to use as the questions will only tell you what outcome you need to produce not what different technologies to use.

Just remember you have about 2 or 3 questions like this as well as the other simulations, and multi choise questions, so you need to be able to get though a questions like this fast. I would say your looking at 10min to complete the design and config, Maybe 15min tops.

Good luck in your exam
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. DoWork
    A major Illinois hospital system near you

Certifications
    vExpert, VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCP-NV, BSTM
    Quote Originally Posted by thenjduke View Post
    It would be interesting to see how many still use it. I have never seen it yet but we have fairly new equipment at our place.
    I believe that 3 out of the 9 sites we have are still running Hybrid code right now. The switches are 6509 so it's still fairly run of the mill stuff. It's a pain in the butt but manageable when you need to change something on them and I enjoy learning something new. We're eventually upgrading them to full IOS but the project will still take some time to complete. In reality the way we've ended up upgrading most of our cores in those offices is when the office moves to a new building.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilWAH View Post
    CCNP Switch – Planning Topics Ponder the Network (and other things)

I don't know if you have read that but this is an example of a question on the switch exam.

As you can see a little more involved than a CCNA questions not only do you need to be able to piece together lots of different ideas to get it solved, but you need to know what ones to use as the questions will only tell you what outcome you need to produce not what different technologies to use.

Just remember you have about 2 or 3 questions like this as well as the other simulations, and multi choise questions, so you need to be able to get though a questions like this fast. I would say your looking at 10min to complete the design and config, Maybe 15min tops.

Good luck in your exam

Oh yes I'm on his website a lot since he started it. If you are clever, you can figure out which one is me.

I've started his lab example and I am going to post my results on my site. This way anyone can view the results if they choose to without accidentally seeing the answers by checking the comments....

You are right though, it's taken me a lot longer to figure out how to set everything up. If there are 3-4 questions like this, I might be doomed with time running out. If there are 2 mmmaybe 3, I might squeeze it out....
    Last edited by notgoing2fail; 06-07-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Certified Beer Judge Cyanic's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CISSP
    We have upgraded most of our 6500s to native IOS, but we still have a handful of hybrids out there. I hate working on them.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. The Bringer of Light DevilWAH's Avatar

Certifications
    CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, ITIL Foundation, CCNP SWITCH,ROUTE, Zoology BSc,
    and now you know why it was a pain my test crashed half way through a question like that. having to move pc's and then work out where i was in it after it lost some of the config. still I would say expect 2 questions with as much depth as that one plus a few more smaller sim's / seniouros as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilWAH View Post
    and now you know why it was a pain my test crashed half way through a question like that. having to move pc's and then work out where i was in it after it lost some of the config. still I would say expect 2 questions with as much depth as that one plus a few more smaller sim's / seniouros as well.

Yeah I remember your post, that is definitley painful. And sometimes it takes being in the "zone" to figure things out in a short amount of time. Anything else is distracting, and Cisco should test their exams extensively before they get shipped out to thousands of people paying $200-$250 to take an exam....

Isn't it kinda ironic they are able to develop router/switch IOS's that run most businesses yet for the simulation they crash!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Certified Beer Judge Cyanic's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNP, CISSP
    Sometimes it is not Cisco's fault. I stopped going to my closest testing center because their desktops suck and would pause (with time still being taken off) all throughout the exam. Plus they "lost" my print out on their "network" and it took them 30 minutes to figure out how to find print it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanic View Post
    Sometimes it is not Cisco's fault. I stopped going to my closest testing center because their desktops suck and would pause (with time still being taken off) all throughout the exam. Plus they "lost" my print out on their "network" and it took them 30 minutes to figure out how to find print it.

Wow, now that is a hack testing center. The one I go to seems pretty decent. Their workstations are all Dell and look pretty new and the monitors are flat screens...

But the one I used to go to before seemed pretty hack with old workstations and a CRT monitor...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, CCDP, CCNP
    The closest testing center to me has some old PCs as well. But I haven't encountered any of the things you guys mentioned. Knock on wood. Other testing centers around me only offer two day out of the week and it falls on Tuesdays and Thursdays so that's not gonna happen because of work. I am not going to take paid time off just to take an exam!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Social Networking & Bookmarks