+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last
Results 26 to 50 of 68
  1. Went to the dark side.... Moderator networker050184's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,672

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SP, MCA200
    #26
    I'm always down for some studying. I should be finishing up the CCIP shortly and then back to the CCIE if I can make the time.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Cisco Moderator mikej412's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,190

    Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuul View Post
    it's possible to verify if you really want to take the time.
    Some vendors like INE only post your name and number after you send your information and ask to be listed -- and not everyone wants personally identifiable information posted on the Internet.

    Other vendors post anyone they can track down by email address and list them whether their materials were useful and/or instrumental in passing the Lab or not.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member ColbyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,262

    Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by notgoing2fail View Post
    My concern about this list as of today is that it looks like there are a lot of people interested in it but not exactly ready for the CCIE.

    So participation would really be mainly eavesdropping like if I were to join myself.

    The question is, how many are interested that are actually in the process or just about ready to begin studying for CCIE R&S?
    Personally, I don't care who joins. Obviously it would be best to have at least a few people who are really working on the IE, but I don't think it'd be horrible to also have people working towards the NP/IP.

    Someone needs to make the group so we can start moving.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,140

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    #29
    Hmm perhaps my initial question was confusing regarding verifying...


    What I meant was, is it possible to know that these vendors themselves have passed the latest and greatest CCIE exam? Not the students...

    It would be horrible if you're being taught my a CCIE who hasn't taken an exam since 2001 for example...

    Or for vendors to claim they can help you pass the latest exam, yet they don't even have any instructors who have taken the latest and passed...

    That's what I meant.....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,140

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyG View Post
    Personally, I don't care who joins. Obviously it would be best to have at least a few people who are really working on the IE, but I don't think it'd be horrible to also have people working towards the NP/IP.

    Someone needs to make the group so we can start moving.

    Well if that is the case then you can count me in. I'm always looking for a few good men....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member ColbyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,262

    Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    #31
    Quote Originally Posted by notgoing2fail View Post
    Well if that is the case then you can count me in. I'm always looking for a few good men....
    That's just my opinion though. The other interested parties may feel different.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,140

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    #32
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyG View Post
    That's just my opinion though. The other interested parties may feel different.
    I'm always up for learning new things. Even during my studies, I would venture out beyond the scope of the book just to "learn".

    I don't mind eavesdropping and listening in on the group if you guy don't mind.

    I can provide my thoughts if I have any that can help.

    Otherwise, I would also understand if the group only prefers serious CCIE contenders, one's that can contribute as well as eavesdrop....

    You know, full duplex.....transmit and receive.....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. DPG
    DPG is offline
    Senior Member DPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    761
    #33
    Quote Originally Posted by notgoing2fail View Post

    It would be horrible if you're being taught my a CCIE who hasn't taken an exam since 2001 for example...
    They have to recertify every two years.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Senior Member ColbyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,262

    Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    #34
    Quote Originally Posted by DPG View Post
    They have to recertify every two years.
    Only the Written though, which doesn't really have much bearing on whether they could pass the lab.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member Nuul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana, US
    Posts
    159

    Certifications
    CCNP, MCSE
    #35
    Quote Originally Posted by notgoing2fail View Post
    What I meant was, is it possible to know that these vendors themselves have passed the latest and greatest CCIE exam? Not the students...

    It would be horrible if you're being taught my a CCIE who hasn't taken an exam since 2001 for example...

    Or for vendors to claim they can help you pass the latest exam, yet they don't even have any instructors who have taken the latest and passed...

    That's what I meant.....
    Ah, I understand now. Most of the proctors I've talked to retake the exam quite a lot just to make sure they are current. I know Marko Milivojevic passed the v4 R&S a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure Joe Astorino took it pretty early after they moved to v4, though I wouldn't swear to that. As for the guys at INE, if Scott Morris is still there he's almost definately taken it...the guy is a machine.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Senior Member Nuul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana, US
    Posts
    159

    Certifications
    CCNP, MCSE
    #36
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyG View Post
    Someone needs to make the group so we can start moving.
    I concur. Anyone know a freebie server we could use? Something like groupstudy.com and onlinestudylist.com but more private? Not that I'm opposed to random people joining, just that having the same GNS3 question asked for the 100th time by someone who just joined gets old real quick.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    921

    Certifications
    A+, SEC +, CCNA, 642-533, CCNP, C|EH
    #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuul View Post
    A lot of us are finishing out CCNPs at the same time due to the July cut-off date. Since there seems to be a bit of interest in getting a CCIE R&S study group going I thought I'd ask here who else would like to join.

    Reasons to join:
    • You could be part of the select few (less than 1% of network professionals) who obtain a CCIE.
    • Once you have obtained your digits you will need a larger office that can contain your awesomeness.
    • This is a long, hard journey - you will need someone to encourage you when you feel like giving up.
    • If you get stuck on your studies, someone in the group probably has a better knowledge of the subject than you and can help you understand.
    • If you are *VERY* serious about this we can probably get group discounts from INE, IPexpert, etc if we attend class or practice lab together.

    I'm going ahead full force with mine. The goal is to be ready for the mach lab by December-February and take the real lab two weeks after that.

    So...who's with me.


    Hey Nuul,

    I think this is awesome... but you are saying study for 6 months, take written, and then 2 weeks later take the lab?

    PLEASE UNDERSTAND, I am sure it can be done... But for most of us that is VERY aggressive.

    I would absolutely love to join, my life revolves around cisco (and other major vendors) as a network engineer. But it has taken me about 1 and 1/2 years to pass all the CCNP tests ( almost done with ONT, passed the other 3)...

    I don't want to put anyone on this forum down, but I think that pace might be a little out of reach for a lot of us.

    For me, I work for a global ISP as a network Engineer... Been doing this for a while, but still this just seems aggressive... It could be the fact that I am married with a 1 year old daughter.


    Once again I do not want to offend anyone, just wanted to throw this out there for discussion.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #38
    Quote Originally Posted by notgoing2fail View Post
    Well if that is the case then you can count me in. I'm always looking for a few good men....

    Second.


    I want more of the CCNP:R/S and CCNP:Sec (?) but I am down. The wife gave me the ok to go for it $$$
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member btowntech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    Posts
    198

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, Security+, Network+
    #39
    I'll join. Might be handy to have a group to push me on during the days I want to be a slacker.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    921

    Certifications
    A+, SEC +, CCNA, 642-533, CCNP, C|EH
    #40
    Hey I know I just posted...

    But I am just really kind of stuck on the pace of all of this and also the whole possibility of the "paper" cert thing happening...


    I KNOW that CCIE Lab is not PAPER!!!!


    But I have a very practical example to share... I work at a very large ISP. Every aspect of our business moves as fast as humanly possible (some times faster). The work is extremely demanding, very high tech and things change constantly. The team I am on is comprised of mostly very experienced, intelligent and driven people. HOwever we just hired another network engineer to join our group. He has 15 years of I.T. Experience, granted a lot of it is with Servers, but he also has a good deal of LAN experience AND, CCNA, CCNP and CCIE written (along with MSCE, and a tun of unix HP certs, BA in mechanical engineering and Masters in Mechanical engineering). During the interview, he was able to explain and answer all of the questions. For instance, we use a good deal of multicast, so we asked our new employee about multicast. He openly admitted he had no real world experience with multicast, he was able to explain in great detail how PIM, IGMP, sparse, and dense mode worked.... He was also able to go into very great detail about how OSPF, MPLS, and BGP work....

    He was able to configure interfaces on a while board, and other common cisco tasks...

    So being the strongest candidate on paper, and having a very good interview (multiple intervies) we hire this person.

    Now he is on the job... and he can't do anything with out his hand being held... For some reason the person in the interview and the person we hired are not the same. The most trivial of tasks seem to be monumental for this person to perform. I do realize that the environment we work in is extremely advanced, and moves at a sickening pace. But you would think that someone with 15 years of high level experience and very reputable certifications would be able to hit the ground at least walking or maybe even at a brisk job. This poor fella hit the ground and fell flat on his face....

    Long story short, I don't want that to happen to any of us.

    AND once again let me qualify, if the techexams members have the experience or whatever it takes to back up the cert then that is awesome. And my rant may be a total waist of hot air. I am just trying to look out for all of us, and offer a little insight to what I am seeing happening around me.

    On the flip side, we have hired a few guys that only have 4 or 5 years of experience (most of it LAN/WAN) and they are amazing. Able to step up the the plate with little or no training and make a massive contribution to the team. And this person only has a CCNA. But he makes our CCIE (written) employ look like a tier 1 person on their first day in the field.

    So I am sure that a lot of this is up to the individual. I just want to make sure that as we make our way through this journey we can back up what our certifications say we can do.

    Once again if I have offended or anything along those lines, I will delete this post.

    Much love to techexams and the members!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Senior Member ColbyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,262

    Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    #41
    Quote Originally Posted by nuul View Post
    i concur. Anyone know a freebie server we could use? Something like groupstudy.com and onlinestudylist.com but more private? Not that i'm opposed to random people joining, just that having the same gns3 question asked for the 100th time by someone who just joined gets old real quick.
    use google groups
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,140

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    #42
    Quote Originally Posted by liven View Post
    Hey I know I just posted...

    But I am just really kind of stuck on the pace of all of this and also the whole possibility of the "paper" cert thing happening...


    I KNOW that CCIE Lab is not PAPER!!!!


    But I have a very practical example to share... I work at a very large ISP. Every aspect of our business moves as fast as humanly possible (some times faster). The work is extremely demanding, very high tech and things change constantly. The team I am on is comprised of mostly very experienced, intelligent and driven people. HOwever we just hired another network engineer to join our group. He has 15 years of I.T. Experience, granted a lot of it is with Servers, but he also has a good deal of LAN experience AND, CCNA, CCNP and CCIE written (along with MSCE, and a tun of unix HP certs, BA in mechanical engineering and Masters in Mechanical engineering). During the interview, he was able to explain and answer all of the questions. For instance, we use a good deal of multicast, so we asked our new employee about multicast. He openly admitted he had no real world experience with multicast, he was able to explain in great detail how PIM, IGMP, sparse, and dense mode worked.... He was also able to go into very great detail about how OSPF, MPLS, and BGP work....

    He was able to configure interfaces on a while board, and other common cisco tasks...

    So being the strongest candidate on paper, and having a very good interview (multiple intervies) we hire this person.

    Now he is on the job... and he can't do anything with out his hand being held... For some reason the person in the interview and the person we hired are not the same. The most trivial of tasks seem to be monumental for this person to perform. I do realize that the environment we work in is extremely advanced, and moves at a sickening pace. But you would think that someone with 15 years of high level experience and very reputable certifications would be able to hit the ground at least walking or maybe even at a brisk job. This poor fella hit the ground and fell flat on his face....

    Long story short, I don't want that to happen to any of us.

    AND once again let me qualify, if the techexams members have the experience or whatever it takes to back up the cert then that is awesome. And my rant may be a total waist of hot air. I am just trying to look out for all of us, and offer a little insight to what I am seeing happening around me.

    On the flip side, we have hired a few guys that only have 4 or 5 years of experience (most of it LAN/WAN) and they are amazing. Able to step up the the plate with little or no training and make a massive contribution to the team. And this person only has a CCNA. But he makes our CCIE (written) employ look like a tier 1 person on their first day in the field.

    So I am sure that a lot of this is up to the individual. I just want to make sure that as we make our way through this journey we can back up what our certifications say we can do.

    Once again if I have offended or anything along those lines, I will delete this post.

    Much love to techexams and the members!!!

    I think this is a fantastic real world write up. I don't think anyone here is offended at all. I actually love hearing real world stories, doesn't matter what the outcome. Call it drama, doesn't matter, you can learn from every story.

    Who knows what that guys deal was, it's hard for me to comprehend how someone can explain things so well in an interview with 15 years experience and yet shown no experience.

    If he brain dumped his way, he would have had trouble in the interview process but that didn't happen, so definitely odd...


    Again, everyone is different as you said, some guys just with CCNA are amazing.

    I think the best we can do is to get this group up and just sail away. See where the chips fall. If some members have the time, energy and push to try to make things happen faster for them, then so be it, if some need to go at different paces, good for them as well...the group won't go away just because one member is behind or ahead....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Soon to be.... Bluetorch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    37

    Certifications
    AS in Computer Networking, CCNP, CCNA, CCDA, CCNA:Voice
    #43
    I'm in for joining the group. In fact, I've already started studying material for the CCIE.

    Nuul, I do think you are a big further ahead of the game though. I know I won't be ready for the lab by February. I'm thinking the written within that period and then the lab sometime late fall/winter 2011.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #44
    Google group made.

    Google Groups

    You guys were taking too long I would like to see if this is a good format for us. What do you think Null?

    Just an idea of course...
    Last edited by Bl8ckr0uter; 06-05-2010 at 05:07 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    921

    Certifications
    A+, SEC +, CCNA, 642-533, CCNP, C|EH
    #45
    Quote Originally Posted by notgoing2fail View Post
    I think this is a fantastic real world write up. I don't think anyone here is offended at all. I actually love hearing real world stories, doesn't matter what the outcome. Call it drama, doesn't matter, you can learn from every story.

    Who knows what that guys deal was, it's hard for me to comprehend how someone can explain things so well in an interview with 15 years experience and yet shown no experience.

    If he brain dumped his way, he would have had trouble in the interview process but that didn't happen, so definitely odd...


    Again, everyone is different as you said, some guys just with CCNA are amazing.

    I think the best we can do is to get this group up and just sail away. See where the chips fall. If some members have the time, energy and push to try to make things happen faster for them, then so be it, if some need to go at different paces, good for them as well...the group won't go away just because one member is behind or ahead....

    Hey I totally agree!!!

    I just want to make some of the things I see on the job known.

    For me those that really take the time to learn, will always be able to achieve their dreams.


    And I am very impressed with the goals set by this group. I to will join with one stipulation in all probability I will not be able to pass the lab 7 months from now. BUT, I am sure I will be smarter. And for me, when I am on the job and some fortune 500 company can't move the latest major code release from boston to london... No one on the conference call cares if I am CCNA/NP/IE... They just want their sh!!!t fixed. Having said that, studying for these certs for years combined with doing this stuff everyday has given me the tools to do my job.


    Techexams rocks and so does all of it's members!!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. Senior Member ColbyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,262

    Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    #46
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    Google group made.

    Google Groups

    You guys were taking too long I would like to see if this is a good format for us. What do you think Null?
    Hate the name. With a passion.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #47
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyG View Post
    Hate the name. With a passion.
    Well Its late i've slept for 2 hours in the last 30.

    What would you rather it be?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Senior Member ColbyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,262

    Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    #48
    I replied to your PM. If I'm just being picky/whiny, I'll shut up. Let me know.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,015
    #49
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyG View Post
    I replied to your PM. If I'm just being picky/whiny, I'll shut up. Let me know.
    lol it is no big deal.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Nagoya, JP
    Posts
    46

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCDA, CCNA, CAPM, Network+, A+, JLPT-Level 1
    #50
    I would like to join guys! Although for me, CCIE is a slightly longer term goal as I want to get some more real world experience before actually getting my number, but I want to do the some of the studies now for sure.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks