+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Certifications
    CCDA, CCNP, Linux+, Security+, Citrix CA(PS4.0)
    I'd love to join the group. However, as liven stated the "goals" seem a little up in the clouds. I'm not sure what kind of lab prep can be done in that short amount of time. You guys need to accoutn for life events.

I myself plan on taking at least 6 months prep for the written and taking CCIP along the way. For the lab I plan on making the attempt at the 17th month mark and taking a live bootcamp on the 16th month, 1 month before the actual lab. The group will just waste hard earned $$ by rushing into something of this caliber. In either case GL to all of you!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    Can we not focus on other peoples' timelines? Someone's timeline doesn't concern me. You can tell a person that their goals are too ambitious or just plain crazy, but most of the time it falls on deaf ears.

I'm interested in grouping up with other CCIE candidates so we can learn from and help one another. If anyone else is interested, join the group.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCDA, CCNP, Linux+, Security+, Citrix CA(PS4.0)
    Sorry? maybe I read teh post wrong. It seemed as if it was a timeline for the group. If taht is not the case then I am for it. I can also donate rack time and a server if needed I'm still in the process of upgrading my gear but it should do for now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE counter..993 Lab Hours.... 532 Reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by notgoing2fail View Post
    Hmm perhaps my initial question was confusing regarding verifying...

What I meant was, is it possible to know that these vendors themselves have passed the latest and greatest CCIE exam? Not the students...

It would be horrible if you're being taught my a CCIE who hasn't taken an exam since 2001 for example...

Or for vendors to claim they can help you pass the latest exam, yet they don't even have any instructors who have taken the latest and passed...

That's what I meant.....
    IMHO far too many people are hung up on vendors and their offerings. Most of the major vendors are now providing content that is inline with the blueprint objectives. I use technology guides, practice workbooks and mock exams from INE at the moment. When I began in 2007 I used the IPexpert workbook and will be returning to their materials in July.

The passing rate of R&S students was decimated by the lab changes late last year and remains low so if vendor materials were a significant factor in clearing the lab prior to that then they are less so now, in and of themselves.

But they are still useful things providing tutorial on technologies, helpful practical exercises and a study framework.

However there is something of a comfort that candidates seem to crave for by buying up multiple workbooks, CoD's, VoDs and just about everybook under the sun. Beware of this. Any materials you purchase need to be *used* and very regularly. My advice is to take a long term view on preparing for the lab exam. Take one vendors Vol1 workbook and work it over twice and take your time doing it. You can expect year 1 to be a foundation year and year 2 to be multprotocol lab prep year.

The milage varies greatly with candidates and this really depends on many things..

1. ability of the candidate
    2. experience and opportunity at work to put learning into context
    3. frequency of study sessions
    4. quality of study
    5. lifestyle management
    6. determination
    7. realism

7 is probably the lynchpin for most CCIE candidates. You need a lot of *gas* to get through the CCIE track. No vendor can sell you that. In fact no vendor can sell you anything on the above list. Even 'quality of study' is not down to the vendor. You could have excellent resources at your disposal but the vendor will not study for you.

One of the problems is we used to see a good number of candidates getting through the track inside one year. This is the exception rather than the rule and these tend to be people with a good deal of bandwidth at work to study regularly. There is nothing wrong with that and good luck to them I say but there is a temptation for people to make comparisons and shoot for the same timeline. If your job already makes severe demands of your time and attention span and if you have young children to come home to, then your study program needs to be flexible and realistic or you risk problems in both areas in your life. Staying up until 2am working some weird scenarios on racks straight after a very demanding day at work is not going to help you if you have an aggressive day ahead of you. You need rest.

By way of an example my studies have been measured against this backdrop and the incremental approach I have taken has helped me both at work and at home. Granted I am still not a CCIE, but should I take and pass the lab next week it wouldn't in and of itself suddenly make me more capable of solving my employers problems. I would just have passed a practical examination. But I do think the approach I have taken has finally enabled me to leverage everything the CCIE has to offer in terms of doing a better job in the field. I have learned many things very well the last three years and I have found elapsed time to reflect on some topics has helped there.

The other decision I made starting out was in terms of my perception of the CCIE's usefulness to my career. I dont think that has changed. For me, the CCIE was a supplementary thing that would add value to my *work*. For as long as I have been studying the track my responsibilities in the field have steadily escalated to a point where I have now for sometime been doing CCIE level work alongside both CCIE and non CCIE people. I think the approach I took to my studies has really helped me get there. By being patient I have learned things that have a context in my day to day work whilst at the same time my studies have not been a diversion which would have drained my ability to do my job properly. Even so, over 800 hours of configuration time isn't to be sniffed at regardless of how long it took to amass it. In fact I can say that the CCIE has never left my radar for any length of time over the last three years and even on downtime days I have probably turned a page or two of a book over or reflected on some aspect of the IOS. Starting out I realised that I would never again go through such an intense learning program as the CCIE. I was therefore determined to squeeze every bit out of it so that on completion it had really changed me in ways that were going to help me in my professional work for many years to come. So it has transpired and continues to this day.

Now all of that happens when you realise that the CCIE journey is a very personal thing. Work out what journey will *actually* work best for you and do that because the road to hell is paved with good intentions and there are garages all over the planet loaded with cisco gear and self study workbooks gathering dust until the burned out candidate finds a buyer! On study groups, they are helpful but generally they fizzle out
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, MCSE
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyG View Post
    Can we not focus on other peoples' timelines? Someone's timeline doesn't concern me. You can tell a person that their goals are too ambitious or just plain crazy, but most of the time it falls on deaf ears.

I'm interested in grouping up with other CCIE candidates so we can learn from and help one another. If anyone else is interested, join the group.
    You and I are on the same page. This is mainly to help each other out, thinking we'd all be on exactly the same time schedule is a bit much

I've already done the written so I'm slightly ahead of most already. All I really need to do is do some labbing to find out where I'm weak. After I've gotten comfortable with some of the topics I suck at (multicast, IPv6, ODR, etc) I'll take one of the 5 day mach labs where it's like taking the R&S lab multiple times. That should give me a real good feel for if I'm ready or not (and possibly drive me insane). If all is well and the proctors think I'm ready, I go knock out the lab. If I'm not I cancel my date and move it back.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, MCSE
    Quote Originally Posted by knwminus View Post
    Google group made.

Google Groups

You guys were taking too long I would like to see if this is a good format for us. What do you think Null?

Just an idea of course...

Sorry, didn't see your PM until much later. I'd created a group already but we don't have to use it.

Group name: Packet Ninjas
    * Group home page: http://groups.google.com/group/packet-ninjas
    * Group email address packet-ninjas@googlegroups.com

Anyone who wants to join PM me your email and I'll send you the invite. At the moment I have the group set to private & invite only, but once you're invited you can invite others.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    Ok let's all confirm which group to use? Seems like we have two now.

Once we can all decide, I'll join...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuul View Post
    Sorry, didn't see your PM until much later. I'd created a group already but we don't have to use it.

Group name: Packet Ninjas
    * Group email address packet-ninjas@googlegroups.com

Anyone who wants to join PM me your email and I'll send you the invite. At the moment I have the group set to private & invite only, but once you're invited you can invite others.

I like yours better. Lets use yours. Oh and PM sent for an invite.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, SEC +, CCNA, 642-533, CCNP, C|EH
    You and I are on the same page. This is mainly to help each other out, thinking we'd all be on exactly the same time schedule is a bit much

I've already done the written so I'm slightly ahead of most already. All I really need to do is do some labbing to find out where I'm weak. After I've gotten comfortable with some of the topics I suck at (multicast, IPv6, ODR, etc) I'll take one of the 5 day mach labs where it's like taking the R&S lab multiple times. That should give me a real good feel for if I'm ready or not (and possibly drive me insane). If all is well and the proctors think I'm ready, I go knock out the lab. If I'm not I cancel my date and move it back.

Hey man I really really dig your drive an passion. And have a ton of respect for setting a goal and trying to go for it.

I want to play to, hopefully I can help with discussions and I know I will learn stuff along the way.

I do the same thing. I set a date for a test, try like hell to make it by that date. And if I am not ready push it back and keep going.

Sorry if sounded negative.

LETS DO THIS!!!!

And, how can I help get the ball rolling????
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, MCSE
    Quote Originally Posted by liven View Post
    And, how can I help get the ball rolling????
    Go to http://groups.google.com/group/packet-ninjas or PM me your email and I'll send you an invite.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    Go to http://groups.google.com/group/packet-ninjas or PM me your email and I'll send you an invite.

PM sent. I'm in....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP DC, CCNP RS, CCDP, CCIP, CCNA DC, CCNA V, JNCIA-ER, ITILv3
    Quote Originally Posted by qplayed View Post
    Sorry? maybe I read teh post wrong. It seemed as if it was a timeline for the group. If taht is not the case then I am for it. I can also donate rack time and a server if needed I'm still in the process of upgrading my gear but it should do for now.
    That's not how I've interpreted any of this. And, I doubt anyone is going to try to meet some timeline they're not ready for simply because they joined a group.

This is an opportunity to get some good minds together and work on attaining the CCIE. That's how I view it. It's not some pact where we all promise to take the lab at the same time (I hope, lol).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP CCIP CCSP CCVP CCDP CCDA CCNA CS-CIPSS CS-CIPTDS CS-CIPTOS CS-CIPCSS CS-CFWS CS-CVPNS CS-CISecS ISSP 4013 4011
    Quote Originally Posted by Turgon View Post
    Now all of that happens when you realise that the CCIE journey is a very personal thing. Work out what journey will *actually* work best for you and do that because the road to hell is paved with good intentions and there are garages all over the planet loaded with cisco gear and self study workbooks gathering dust until the burned out candidate finds a buyer! On study groups, they are helpful but generally they fizzle out
    Good post and GREAT finish!!

CCIE Study isn't the most exciting of spectator sports -- and the CCIE Lab Exam itself is not a Team Sport.

But there is room in between for people to work together to achieve some of their study goals.

Some lucky groups may gel and do most of their journey together -- including road trips to the Lab and Celebrations and commiserations.

Other groups just get together to "share" study material and "split costs" and "share information" about their lab attempts.

Some of the vendors out there have their "Executive Programs" (usually around 16 weeks) where they toss in training and mentoring -- in addition to providing the structure and goals. And they may even toss in the required home work assignments to force you to stay on track with your studies. A directed (paid) study group like this at least has the advantage that the group doesn't slow down to the level of the slowest person. But if you're not the fastest and most prepared person in the group then you're probably not going to achieve the most benefit.

Everyone doesn't have to join the same group. A group planning to meet their Lab Destiny in 6 months should have different objectives, goals, plans -- and members -- than a group of CCNPs that are still intimidated by the Written Exam Blueprint.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikej412 View Post
    Everyone doesn't have to join the same group. A group planning to meet their Lab Destiny in 6 months should have different objectives, goals, plans -- and members -- than a group of CCNPs that are still intimidated by the Written Exam Blueprint.
    Or a group of NAs working towards CCXP. This is what I was thinking...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA VOICE, MCITP-EA, MCTS 083-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647, 70-680, CCNP
    I'm interested as well but I'm not yet a CCNP and I won't be by 31 July. I'm hoping to nail BSCI before July 31st. I'm labbing seriously now. Hopefully, I'll be a CCNP before the end of 2011, then I can focus on CCIE. So, I'd like to join.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, BSCI completed, BCMSN in Progress
    I would like to join as well.
    I'd finished my NP on February.
    PM me
    thanks~
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNP, MCSE
    Quote Originally Posted by josunin75 View Post
    I would like to join as well.
    I'd finished my NP on February.
    PM me
    thanks~
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Junior Member
    Hi,
    So far I finished CCNA, CCNP and CCIP, I am planning to start journy towards CCIE.

Thanks,

Indianapolis, IN
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks