+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last
Results 26 to 50 of 65
  1. was here.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,504
    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by notgoing2fail View Post
    Interesting that you say that. I'm looking for the 6 AP one. I think both support that as the minimum. I had thought they were both exactly the same feature wise which is why I figured the module would integrate well into the 2811 along with the voice modules.
    They don't run the same firmware and I've hit weird differences between them before which are annoying when you're actually deploying these in a real environment. You'll have to deal with it as a service module as well. If it was a lab you may not care so long as they both have the same featureset and CLI/GUI.

    I'm unsure whether the differences are important enough to actually matter for certification though. I know the NM doesn't do IPSEC and that it doesn't have 802.1D support. I'd assume that you'd do that in the router anyway.

    Odd that you've found them to be cheaper though. I've not seen them often on the secondhand market but when they are they're always been significantly more expensive than the standalone WLCs like the 4400s.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,140

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by tiersten View Post
    They don't run the same firmware and I've hit weird differences between them before which are annoying when you're actually deploying these in a real environment. You'll have to deal with it as a service module as well. If it was a lab you may not care so long as they both have the same featureset and CLI/GUI.

    I'm unsure whether the differences are important enough to actually matter for certification though. I know the NM doesn't do IPSEC and that it doesn't have 802.1D support. I'd assume that you'd do that in the router anyway.

    Odd that you've found them to be cheaper though. I've not seen them often on the secondhand market but when they are they're always been significantly more expensive than the standalone WLCs like the 4400s.


    There were two modules a couple weekends ago, both going for around $750.... I just rechecked and they are gone. Now the only remaining modules are $1200-$1500...

    I guess I lost out on a pretty good deal.....

    I'm glad you brought up some differences though, I will do more research. If it is true, then I would be more inclined to get the standalone, I hate finding out I'm missing features.

    Kinda like getting the 3550's and not being able to do PVLAN's!!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. wino burbankmarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    455

    Certifications
    LPIC, NCLA, CCNA, CCNP, CCIP
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by notgoing2fail View Post
    Kinda like getting the 3550's and not being able to do PVLAN's!!!!
    Or getting a 3k 3560G 48 port only to find out that you can't do pvlans with etherchannels...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,238
    #29
    Whats the difference between a 3550-SMI with an EMI image and a 3550-12T which is EMI with regard to Layer 3. I've put their routing protocols side by side and they seem identicle.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,140

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by burbankmarc View Post
    Or getting a 3k 3560G 48 port only to find out that you can't do pvlans with etherchannels...
    I understand that a switch needs to be in transparent mode to do PVLAN's.

    So can you at the very least do regular trunking via 1 port with PVLAN's?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,140

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaminsky View Post
    Whats the difference between a 3550-SMI with an EMI image and a 3550-12T which is EMI with regard to Layer 3. I've put their routing protocols side by side and they seem identicle.

    SMI is standard and EMI is enhanced image.

    You can do simple routing with SMI I believe. I think EMI supports more/better routing functions and protocols....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Senior Member Nuul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana, US
    Posts
    159

    Certifications
    CCNP, MCSE
    #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaminsky View Post
    Whats the difference between a 3550-SMI with an EMI image and a 3550-12T which is EMI with regard to Layer 3. I've put their routing protocols side by side and they seem identicle.
    SMI is very basic, I think it's just RIP that it will do. You probably have the EMI image loaded on an SMI switch. If it says IPSERVICES then it's the EMI image.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,238
    #33
    With a 3550 SMI (c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-20.EA1a.bin EMI IOS Crypto Image) and a c3550-12T (c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-20.EA1a.bin EMI IOS Image) Feature nav has both running BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, etc.

    What I don't understand is the 12-T is dedicated EMI whilst the SMI has an EMI image. Does that make any real difference to the routing they can do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    68

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, CCNA
    #34
    I have been reading a bit on some of the responses, would everyone say that if I picked up:

    2x3550's
    2x2950's

    and used the Dynamips for the rest I could get by just fine for the entire content? I don't mind memorizing some command stuff, but I really have to get some time at the keyboard for me to grasp it and cash is a bit limited to pick up routers and switches. I picked 4 switches because it seems to be the standard among most of the configurations in the material.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,140

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    #35
    Quote Originally Posted by tanix View Post
    I have been reading a bit on some of the responses, would everyone say that if I picked up:

    2x3550's
    2x2950's

    and used the Dynamips for the rest I could get by just fine for the entire content? I don't mind memorizing some command stuff, but I really have to get some time at the keyboard for me to grasp it and cash is a bit limited to pick up routers and switches. I picked 4 switches because it seems to be the standard among most of the configurations in the material.

    Yeah that's about right. 4 switches would be pretty suffice and the one's you listed is what everyone usually has at home.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    18

    Certifications
    MCITP: Enterprise Admin, VCP 2x-3x & 4x, MCSA, MCSE, RHCT, CCNA, & CLA (LANDESK)
    #36

    Default Greetings

    I am new to the forum and expect the rest of my equipment today. From what I have read over the net I hope this will be enough for the CCNP.

    3 2620XM - 3 WIC-1t,
    1 3640 - NM-8A/S
    2 2924 XL EN
    1 2950G

    Server stuff:

    2 Dell Poweredge 840s 16GB RAM ESX4 400GB SATA RAID
    1 Dell Poweredge 2650 6GB RAM 450GB ISCSI SAN - Openfiler

    Most of the equipment I got from CablesAndKits.Com The server stuff locally.

    John
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Senior Member billscott92787's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    930

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, CCNA, CCNA: Wireless, C|EH, C|HFI, Cloud+, Masters - Information Security and Assurance, B.S. Networking and Comm. Mgmt.
    #37
    VancouverTechie
    The only thing I could see you needing is 1-2 3550's to do L3 switching. You shouldn't need those until you get to SWITCH. I would start with ROUTE, then add your 3550's and then go after SWITCH. 2950 is good for L2 and the 2924XL's are good as 2nd-3rd switches, but you'll probably still need the 3550's unless your going to simulate in Dynamips/GNS3 and you won't be able to do "everything" that is required.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member billscott92787's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    930

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, CCNA, CCNA: Wireless, C|EH, C|HFI, Cloud+, Masters - Information Security and Assurance, B.S. Networking and Comm. Mgmt.
    #38
    Quote Originally Posted by tanix View Post
    I have been reading a bit on some of the responses, would everyone say that if I picked up:

    2x3550's
    2x2950's

    and used the Dynamips for the rest I could get by just fine for the entire content? I don't mind memorizing some command stuff, but I really have to get some time at the keyboard for me to grasp it and cash is a bit limited to pick up routers and switches. I picked 4 switches because it seems to be the standard among most of the configurations in the material.

    That should work out fine! I should have done this when I got my equipment. I still need to add another 2950 and 2 3550's and whatever else I need for CCIE. lol. Just don't have the money right now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. wino burbankmarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    455

    Certifications
    LPIC, NCLA, CCNA, CCNP, CCIP
    #39
    Quote Originally Posted by billscott92787 View Post
    That should work out fine! I should have done this when I got my equipment. I still need to add another 2950 and 2 3550's and whatever else I need for CCIE. lol. Just don't have the money right now.
    Gotta get the 3560's for CCIE, at least 1 anyways.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Senior Member Nuul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana, US
    Posts
    159

    Certifications
    CCNP, MCSE
    #40
    Quote Originally Posted by burbankmarc View Post
    Gotta get the 3560's for CCIE, at least 1 anyways.
    Yup. I have 3 3550s waiting on a 3560 to join it. If I can't find one soon on the cheap I'll probably just buy another 3550 and buy rack time when I need to work on the stuff the 50s can't do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  17. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    18

    Certifications
    MCITP: Enterprise Admin, VCP 2x-3x & 4x, MCSA, MCSE, RHCT, CCNA, & CLA (LANDESK)
    #41
    Bill,

    Thanks for the reply. I think I can borrow a 3550 or two from work when I get to that point. I hope to have some time this weekend to get the IOSs updated and configured. But after my VCP exam this Friday.

    Has anyone seen a good price on a 3550? Right now I seen one WS-C3550-24-SMI for 299.00

    John

    Quote Originally Posted by billscott92787 View Post
    VancouverTechie
    The only thing I could see you needing is 1-2 3550's to do L3 switching. You shouldn't need those until you get to SWITCH. I would start with ROUTE, then add your 3550's and then go after SWITCH. 2950 is good for L2 and the 2924XL's are good as 2nd-3rd switches, but you'll probably still need the 3550's unless your going to simulate in Dynamips/GNS3 and you won't be able to do "everything" that is required.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  18. cisco noob fly351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    357

    Certifications
    CCNA, Net+, A+
    #42
    So right now I have a 3725 and a 2610. I am waiting on 3 2950T's to arrive, and I am about to buy two 3550's.

    What else do I really need as far as routers go? If I am not mistaken I won't need a 2621xm since I have the 3725.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  19. Senior Member billscott92787's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    930

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, CCNA, CCNA: Wireless, C|EH, C|HFI, Cloud+, Masters - Information Security and Assurance, B.S. Networking and Comm. Mgmt.
    #43
    Quote Originally Posted by fly351 View Post
    So right now I have a 3725 and a 2610. I am waiting on 3 2950T's to arrive, and I am about to buy two 3550's.

    What else do I really need as far as routers go? If I am not mistaken I won't need a 2621xm since I have the 3725.

    I would just use what you got and simulate the rest with Dynamips/GNS3. Tie your real equipment into your virtual equipment. There are tutorials on "how" to do it on Dynamips website. In addition, it will save money. But, if you want to purchase a router, I would say get 1-2 2650XM's or something like that and you should be good to go. I know there is a dude named Brandon on Ebay that sells used Tech Equipment, the 2650xm's I think you can get at a decent price.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  20. cisco noob fly351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    357

    Certifications
    CCNA, Net+, A+
    #44
    I really can't stand GNS3, I would rather have real equipment.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  21. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    293

    Certifications
    A+, CCDP, CCNP
    #45
    2 x 2950 is enough and you probably won't use it when you start taking CCIE R&S. The recommended setup is 2 x 3550 and 2 x 3560, at least this is based from INE's topology when it was still posted.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  22. DPG
    DPG is offline
    Senior Member DPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    758
    #46
    Quote Originally Posted by VancouverTechie View Post

    Has anyone seen a good price on a 3550? Right now I seen one WS-C3550-24-SMI for 299.00

    John
    I have a few that I will part with for $250.

    Reply With Quote Quote  

  23. Senior Member billscott92787's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    930

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, CCNA, CCNA: Wireless, C|EH, C|HFI, Cloud+, Masters - Information Security and Assurance, B.S. Networking and Comm. Mgmt.
    #47
    It's all based on personal preference. I have seen a bunch of people slam GNS3/Dynamips. It's all good, I know what you mean, I got the real equipment sitting right here beside my PC. But, I still use Dynamips as well. I actually like tying dynamips into my real equipment too . I wish I would have knew what I was doing when I started CCNA and all of CCNP. I would have saved myself a good bit of money until now. But, I got the equipment, all I need to do now is add to it. That or buy rack time when I do the CCIE lab practice.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  24. Senior Member thenjduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    892

    Certifications
    MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCITP EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA, VCP 5, CCA, CCEE, CCIA, CCE-V
    #48
    Okay bought myself 2 3550 EMI ones for 400.00 together. They both work. I got them from a buddy of mine
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  25. wino burbankmarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    455

    Certifications
    LPIC, NCLA, CCNA, CCNP, CCIP
    #49
    Quote Originally Posted by thenjduke View Post
    Okay bought myself 2 3550 EMI ones for 400.00 together. They both work. I got them from a buddy of mine
    Solid acquisition. That should be good enough for your entire CCNP.

    The only things the 3550 does NOT support are:

    dhcp snooping
    DAI
    pvlans
    IPv6

    I might be forgetting some but other than that you should be able to rock out.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  26. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    1,097

    Certifications
    A Few....
    #50
    I just got my 2 3550s in today!!! Woohoo!!! I have the EMI image... as long as I install the image, I'll be able to perform advanced routing protocols... is that the only benefit of EMI or am I totally off basis? Thanks!

    -Peanut

    EDIT:

    Just read this link: EMI vs. SMI and got the answer I was looking for!! Time to toy around now!!! WooHoo!!!
    Last edited by peanutnoggin; 06-23-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 12 3 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks