+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Results 51 to 65 of 65
  1. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,140

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    #51
    Quote Originally Posted by thenjduke View Post
    Okay bought myself 2 3550 EMI ones for 400.00 together. They both work. I got them from a buddy of mine

    $400 total? That is a slammin' deal then...

    Is it PoE too?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Senior Member thenjduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    892

    Certifications
    MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCITP EA, MCSE 2012, CCNA, VCP 5, CCA, CCEE, CCIA, CCE-V
    #52
    Not sure will take a look tonight. I just got them last night. At work today. I might have to hold off on my studies for CCNP. I was reading more into the CCNA Security and actually finding it interesting now.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    1,097

    Certifications
    A Few....
    #53
    Quote Originally Posted by thenjduke View Post
    Not sure will take a look tonight. I just got them last night. At work today. I might have to hold off on my studies for CCNP. I was reading more into the CCNA Security and actually finding it interesting now.
    NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

    Sorry, i just had a SDM flashback!!! Good luck with your studies

    -Peanut
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member notgoing2fail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,140

    Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA(Security), CSSA
    #54
    Quote Originally Posted by thenjduke View Post
    Not sure will take a look tonight. I just got them last night. At work today. I might have to hold off on my studies for CCNP. I was reading more into the CCNA Security and actually finding it interesting now.
    One reason I went with CCNA:S is that I knew when I started CCNP that it was going to be a pretty long studying period. So I wanted to pick up CCNA:S first, then jump on CCNP. Studying for CCNA:S is almost like studying for SWITCH so I felt the overlap was worth it.

    And it's nice to have at least 2 certs under your belt.

    You may get frustrated with SDM though as it seems to frustrate most people, I can vouch for that.....
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Request timed out. *BB*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    95

    Certifications
    ITIL V3 Foundation, CCNA, CCNA:Security
    #55
    Quote Originally Posted by notgoing2fail View Post
    I can vouch for that.....
    me too
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member billscott92787's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    930

    Certifications
    CCNP, CCDP, CCNA, CCNA: Wireless, C|EH, C|HFI, Cloud+, Masters - Information Security and Assurance, B.S. Networking and Comm. Mgmt.
    #56
    I did a different route, because I heard that ISCW overlaps with CCNA: Security a good bit, I went right into my CCNP studies after my CCNA. With intentions to take the ISCW. But, I ended up doing TSHOOT instead of ONT, and ISCW. I read and studied ONT materials though, and I'm doing ISCW now. So, I thought about picking up the exam cert guide, and going through it and getting the CCNA: Security. But I can't decide if I should or just go after my CCIE. CCIE I'm going after either way, just don't know if I want to do CCNA: Security first.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. cisco noob fly351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    357

    Certifications
    CCNA, Net+, A+
    #57
    If you are looking for a good deal on 3550's, search ebay for...

    "LOT OF 3" +"WS-C3550"
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    293

    Certifications
    A+, CCDP, CCNP
    #58
    Quote Originally Posted by billscott92787 View Post
    CCIE I'm going after either way, just don't know if I want to do CCNA: Security first.
    Go for the CCIE. You'll earn more money after your CCIE than having CCNP and CCNA:S in my opinion.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. cisco noob fly351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    357

    Certifications
    CCNA, Net+, A+
    #59
    I finally finished buying my lab. I can't wait for the gear to show up

    3 x 2950T
    2 x 3550
    1 x 2610 (already had)
    2 x 2621
    1 x 2650xm
    1 x 3725
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Senior Member Nuul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana, US
    Posts
    159

    Certifications
    CCNP, MCSE
    #60
    Quote Originally Posted by zerglings View Post
    Go for the CCIE. You'll earn more money after your CCIE than having CCNP and CCNA:S in my opinion.
    Bill and I were talking about this yesterday over IM yesterday actually. I was considering going back and getting my CCNA:Security as well. The reason being that at interviews I'm getting knocked out of consideration because of my lack of firewall experience. I can follow a config and figure out what it's doing for the most part, but I'm not expert. Unfortunately, all the jobs I've gone for want you to be a Master Jedi for everything under the sun. So, my thinking was study for the CCNA:Security and knock that out to get the fundamentals of down so I can be more confident about my abilities. Once I get a better job, I can afford to take the CCIE lab more than once.
    Last edited by Nuul; 06-24-2010 at 12:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. cisco noob fly351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    357

    Certifications
    CCNA, Net+, A+
    #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuul View Post
    Unfortunately, all the jobs I've gone for want you to be a Master Jedi for everything under the sun.
    geez tell me about it.... most of the jobs I have seen in the past 6 months are like... "X years exp in Unix management, X years exp in <insert programming lang>, X years in networking, X years in VMware, X years in security, X years Windows Server.. Oh and BS in IT, CCNP, CISSP" etc etc..
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    293

    Certifications
    A+, CCDP, CCNP
    #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuul View Post
    Bill and I were talking about this yesterday over IM yesterday actually. I was considering going back and getting my CCNA:Security as well. The reason being that at interviews I'm getting knocked out of consideration because of my lack of firewall experience. I can follow a config and figure out what it's doing for the most part, but I'm not expert. Unfortunately, all the jobs I've gone for want you to be a Master Jedi for everything under the sun. So, my thinking was study for the CCNA:Security and knock that out to get the fundamentals of down so I can be more confident about my abilities. Once I get a better job, I can afford to take the CCIE lab more than once.
    True. But, from what my understanding is that CCNA:S does not really teach you all that much about firewall per se. That might be more of a CCSP thing than CCNA:S. Then again, I don't really know. I never really looked at CCNA:S and CCSP's curriculum.

    Not having a high paying job was one of the reasons why I consider steering away from CCIE, for now. For whatever reason, my boss does not want to pay for CCIE training but will pay for other Cisco training that is almost the same price. Oh well, I guess I'll pick another one.

    Good luck on whatever you guys decide. But, if I had a lot of extra money to pay for CCIE training, routers & switches (to finally complete my lab), lab exam and etc I would definitely do it. I know for sure that I'll be able to find a company that would value those five-digit number even though I don't have experience dealing with other technologies.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member jovan88's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    388

    Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNP Sec
    #63
    Quote Originally Posted by burbankmarc View Post
    Solid acquisition. That should be good enough for your entire CCNP.

    The only things the 3550 does NOT support are:

    dhcp snooping
    DAI
    pvlans
    IPv6

    I might be forgetting some but other than that you should be able to rock out.
    I'm pretty 3550s do dhcp snooping and DAI.
    my 3550s also have all the ipv6 commands but cant ping anything except themselves
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member jovan88's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    388

    Certifications
    CCNP R&S, CCNP Sec
    #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuul View Post
    The reason being that at interviews I'm getting knocked out of consideration because of my lack of firewall experience.
    I was thinking the same thing. Firewall experience is pretty much essential, unfortunately CCNA:S isn't going to help much there.

    I'm planning to just buy an ASA and learn at my own pace, no certs. CCSP is pretty much out of the question at this stage, being 5 exams away - its a long road to follow.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. DoWork
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    A major Illinois hospital system near you
    Posts
    1,468

    Certifications
    vExpert, VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCP-NV, BSTM
    #65
    Quote Originally Posted by zerglings View Post
    True. But, from what my understanding is that CCNA:S does not really teach you all that much about firewall per se. That might be more of a CCSP thing than CCNA:S. Then again, I don't really know. I never really looked at CCNA:S and CCSP's curriculum.

    Not having a high paying job was one of the reasons why I consider steering away from CCIE, for now. For whatever reason, my boss does not want to pay for CCIE training but will pay for other Cisco training that is almost the same price. Oh well, I guess I'll pick another one.

    Good luck on whatever you guys decide. But, if I had a lot of extra money to pay for CCIE training, routers & switches (to finally complete my lab), lab exam and etc I would definitely do it. I know for sure that I'll be able to find a company that would value those five-digit number even though I don't have experience dealing with other technologies.
    CCNA Security is all about router based firewalls, CBAC, zone-based, and nothing about ASA type firewalls. You don't configure any during the study of them, you learn a little bit about them, but that's where it ends. CCNA Security is all SDM and other basic security practices. CCSP is where you're going to get into the ASA.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks