+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CCNP Lab?

1. Learn it, Do it, Know it! Asif Dasl's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSA:2008/7 MCITP:EA/SA EDST/EST MCSE'03 SBS'08/'03 MCDST A+ N+ Sec+ Srv+ VCP5-DCV VCA-DCV/Cloud

Default CCNP Lab?

First off, I'm not Cisco certified yet. I'm currently finishing up studying for CCENT and I have 3 x 2950 switches. So far I haven't hit any big routing or switching stuff yet. I'm running GNS3 for the routing bits, but I want to build a lab which is capable of doing CCNP routing and switching.

Will GNS3 not linked to physical switches be enough for ROUTE or would I have to hook GNS3 up to physical switches for any part of ROUTE? I would presume no but better ask anyway.

I've been watching the beginning of the CBT Nuggets for SWITCH and Jeremy recommends a 3550 & a 2950 for the lab. What would be suitable for SWITCH? 2 x 3550s 1 x 2950 or what combination would be best?

I'd appreciate any recommendations you might have...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CCNP, CCNA, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, JNCIA-JUNOS
    For ROUTE I would say that GNS 3 is all you need.

SWITCH is a different, Jeremy's idea that a 2950 and 3550 are sufficient is a little bizarre, especially as a number of times in the videos he kinda says ' if I had another 3550 then.........'

I would suggest that you add 2 3550s or 3560s to your lab for this exam
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    CCDA, CCNA:R&S, Security, & Voice.
    I do agree with Chris... Minimum of two 3550 switches along with with 2950's.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Learn it, Do it, Know it! Asif Dasl's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSA:2008/7 MCITP:EA/SA EDST/EST MCSE'03 SBS'08/'03 MCDST A+ N+ Sec+ Srv+ VCP5-DCV VCA-DCV/Cloud
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of keeping all 3 x 2950s for CCNA then selling 2 of the 2950s and getting 3550s. Would I need all 3 2950s for CCNP?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    LPIC, NCLA, CCNA, CCNP, CCIP
    I did the BCMSN with 2 2950's and 2 3550s. Which is all you'll need for the TSHOOT as well, plus GNS3. The 3560s/3750s are ridonkulous in price compared to the 3550, so unless you plan on building a home CCIE/CCVP lab I wouldn't recommend anything higher than the 3550.
    Last edited by Slowhand; 06-03-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to change this message, it's been restored to it's original format.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Learn it, Do it, Know it! Asif Dasl's Avatar

Certifications
    Yeah I was just looking at the price of the 3560s and yikes! Cool, I'll keep the 2950s and pick up 2 x 3550s after the CCNA. Thanks all!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    Quote Originally Posted by burbankmarc View Post
    I did the BCMSN with 2 2950's and 2 3550s. Which is all you'll need for the TSHOOT as well, plus GNS3. The 3560s/3750s are ridonkulous in price compared to the 3550, so unless you plan on building a home CCIE/CCVP lab I wouldn't recommend anything higher than the 3550.
    Even if you're going for the CCIE, it's probably a little bit of overkill to have a Catalyst 3560 or a 3570 in your home lab when 3550's do almost everything you need for your practice. For anything else you absolutely need, you can always rent rack-time on the higher-level models.

-------------------------------------------------------
    ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCIE R&S #38616 and many more!
    FWIW Jeremy over @ Packet Life has a free community lab that you can sign up for and use for many of your labs. Just make sure not to abuse the privilege. If you do a google search you can find endless labs to play with.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    LPIC, NCLA, CCNA, CCNP, CCIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
    Even if you're going for the CCIE, it's probably a little bit of overkill to have a Catalyst 3560 or a 3570 in your home lab when 3550's do almost everything you need for your practice.
    I disagree. The difference in WRR and SRR alone is reason enough to buy a 3560 for your CCIE, add in PVLAN, IPv6, and PoE for CCVPs then the extra cash looks a bit more reasonable. But again, it's too much for a CCNP lab.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Questionably Benevolent Moderator Slowhand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certifications
    A+, Linux+, Server+, Security+, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA(expired), ITIL Foundation v3 (2011), VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, VCA-WM
    Quote Originally Posted by burbankmarc View Post
    I disagree. The difference in WRR and SRR alone is reason enough to buy a 3560 for your CCIE, add in PVLAN, IPv6, and PoE for CCVPs then the extra cash looks a bit more reasonable. But again, it's too much for a CCNP lab.
    Ah, but that's the reason a lot of people recommend renting rack-time to save that money, since there are differences between the 3550s and 3560s. It's an option to save a bit of cash when you're getting up that point. Of course, if you've got the money, having the 3560 always handy isn't a bad thing either.

ITHumidor.net - "Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis"

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Virtual Academy
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top 50 PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+ Net+ Security+ Linux+ CCNA DCUCI
    idk if anyone has their CSE but does the 3560 8Port have the same features as a 24/48port. My friend gave a 2948 L3 that isn't cutting it and I didn't see anything that points out the differences in the product brochure on Cisco's site...
    Last edited by MrBaker; 06-06-2011 at 06:48 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks